Hello! Time to put up your Bluebird Boxes!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, neat pictures! Coyotes howling always send shivers up my spine. Especially when they are close!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I like the sound of them, Those pictures where taken from my front window

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That's amazing. I've never had one that close. Did you catch my edit? Sorry I ended up in the middle of your pictures. Laugh! The female actually looks like a pet. She looks soft. Just looking at their pictures gives me shivers!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I just caught your edit now lol, They 'can' give a nasty bite, But I have never been bitten by one. They sometimes like to hang out in my owl boxes and I have to get them out sometimes. The female does look like a pet, Especially with that light coloring.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Here's a few other passer-bys....This one, I call Daisy-Do

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

flying squirrel in it's nestbox

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Flying Squirrel on a branch...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Woody woodchuck....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I can't believe you have flying squirrels. That is so neat. You even make Daisy-do look cute.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Woodchucks can be nasty. I saw one across the road a couple of years ago. I'm glad he never came back!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I have flying squirrels that nest in two different boxes every year, They are so cute and theres a family in the boxes, I believe there are 3 or 4 in that small box right now, In the summer, They can be seen eating on the bird feeders at night.
Woodchucks are definate fighters, I had a mother and two babys here a couple of years ago and they have since moved on to which I am rather happy about because they are quite distructive, Especially to fruit trees ( They are 'Great climbers!!!')

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I hear they can put up quite a fight with a dog.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

They sure can!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

IRIS and billyporter, - such great comments and pictures - I'm so envious, IRIS, are you on the edge of town? I don't think I can ever attract the variety you have - and flying squirrels? billy - do we have them in Iowa? Another one I've never seen here. Our three acreas in actually in the middle of town - surrounded on all sides with houses - it looks almost like an oasis, although because the homes are all between about 50 and 20 years old, the trees and such are nice and big. We were just fortunate because my dad ( a contractor - that's where all those building genes came from in my family) bought the property in the 70's, meaning to develop it into about 20 lots. Then he decided to retire instead, and we were able to get the land from him for a song. I'm just getting ready to go out and do some more meditating in the gardens (amazes me how others call it work, and I call it fun!) Keep the pictures coming - I just LOVE this thread -

billyporter, are you going to the round - up? I'm hoping to come with Wandasflowers and Linda_IA this year - would love to meet you - Dax

Monrovia, MD

I used to watch the wildlife channel on my T.V.- I do not have too with this thread, between the beautiful pictures and comments I have learned more on this thread, then on my T.V.- enjoying every moment, and pictures- wow!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Dax, Your place 'IS' like an oasis!! It's just beautifull! You are so fotunate! I was wondering if you were surrounded by houses because I seen the houses in your photo's.Good thing your dad decided not to devide the land for lots , It's just awsome having it the way it us with houses all around!! So neat!!
I live in town, But, Off of one of the town roads, I have a long steep driveway and on both sides of the dtiveway is some woods, and to both sides of my home are houses but woods between my home and the niehbors and the back of the home is all woods, So there are woods pretty much surrounding the whole place, Thats why there are a wide variety of animals that come in, There is also a stream which runs across the front of the property which attracts quite a bit of wildlife, So there is always something out there going through..
The garden is 'both' for me ...work and fun!

pamloveshorses, Glad to hear your enjoying the thread, Some of the others here take some awsome pictures with great stories hopefully some will come along and add there yard experiences. I'll try and post some more later.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Well, I guess I got off the track a bit here, It was suppose to be on BB boxes, ( Sorry about that Tabasco!) Here's a couple more that I have, I have some 'Petersons' version of BB houses and these are on a board and the board is cemented into growing pots and then the pots are placed in the ground, They are very sturdy and can be moved easily at any time....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I also have a line of them on a huge arbor and I have birds using them on the arbor and around the yard all winter long, Here is a photo of one.....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Two summer hang arounds that I really have to keep an eye on because of all the birdnests are the chipmunk and the black racer!
Heres a "flash on/ flash off of the chipmunk.....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

And here's the Black Racer...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Dax, I think there are flying squirrels around here but I've never seen one. They're nocturnal and spend more time in the trees than on the ground. My son-in-law says they used to have them. He lives over by Moscow Iowa, and is surrounded by timber. It's pretty isolated and it's possible they're still there. I hope so. I wondered about your land and timber. That's fantastic! It's so nice to be able to save the ''wilderness,'' but you know what I mean. I would like to go to round-up, but won't be there this year. Wanda was my first e-mail with an invite. I almost feel I've let her down by not going.

Once again, I'm amazed by your pictures, IRIS - is there such a thing as a "brown" thumb for wildlife? I think you have it!! I'm going to give your pictures of the BB houses to my DH, I think he could do two or three pretty easily, and then I could put them up! But the chipmunk? And the snake? Awesome!! I'll be sending pics as soon as I get the chance.

billyporter - Thanks for the info, and I'll miss you at the Round-up, although I don't think it's necessary for us to meet face to face to have a very COOL friendship.

For sure, IRIS, we may never meet, but you are the Mother Nature of my dreams!

Dax

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Dax, Thankyou for the nice compliments! ( In the garden, 'Green Thumbs' a go ~ " Brown Thumbs' a no) I think you wrote it backwards up there lol! Don't know about having the right thumb, But I 'do' love wildlife and do get quite a bit. Here is a link for you for plans on making the petersons blue bird box, Hope the link works for you ....
http://www.coveside.biz/peterson-bluebird-house-plans.htm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I like the movable pot idea. Love the ''peek'' photo.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

billyporter, A lot of people put there post in and then have a hard time moving the house if the want to try different locations, It's easy ( but heavy) to move the pots, I always bury mine, But they are heavy enough that you could leave the pot on top of the ground and they would probably be fine ( Except in a strong wind)
For those who have ponds in there yards, Another little creature to be aware of when the baby birds take flight is the bull frog who can definately eat a bird ( Even an adult bird) ...

Thumbnail by IRIS

Thanks, IRIS for the link and the info. Never knew about the "brown thumb" thing - I just thought I was referring to animals - many of whom are brown - oops - I definitely meant it as a COMPLIMENT, which I know you picked up on. And that pic of the bullfrog - wonderful! Just went out yesterday and I had a much smaller guy basking in the middle of the pond, just floating. I've got a couple, but they are much small and brown. I'll try to get pics of them too. Had no idea they could be dangerous to birds - AWWWW - Dax

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I had a dry bullfrog in my flowerbed a couple of years ago. No idea where he came from as no ponds near. Last year I had a slider turtle on the patio. I put the bullfrog in a saucer of water to wetten up and the turtle in a dishpan till DH got home, and we released him into the cedar with all the others. The bullfrog took off for somewhere.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Dax, Your Quite Welcome! I know what you meant by brown thumb and animals being brown lol And I know you meant it as a compliment ( Thanks again!)
Yes, Unfortunately, Bull frogs have there ( What seems to be) dark side too. That was last summers photo because it's too cold for them here right now, 'Though I do have one that has allready gotten in the pond', I have three small ponds and plenty of bull frogs in the summer so I tend to keep an eye on them when I'm out there. I do have graphic photo's of both the bull frog and the black racer in action doing there bad deeds, It was too late for the bird that the bull frog had, But, I was able to save the baby robin from the black racer at the time that it had it.. ~I know it sounds odd that a bull frog would catch a bird, But, They 'do' do it. I have some smaller frogs here also, The wart frog, the leoperd frog, and tree frog, All seem pretty safe around the birds and great for the gaden as they love to eat bugs, But, The bull frogs are a different story, I still enjoy seeing them and havin them in the pond, But, I have to keep an eye out for whats wondering about around them.
I'd enjoy seeing pics of your brown frogs if you'd like to post them.

Billy, I'm surprised you had a 'dry frog' in your yard if you have no pond close by, I have seen birds carrying prey back to there nest and dropping it along the way because of other birds mobing it, Maybe thats how it got there?
At least you gave them both another chance at life.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I looked in my smaller pond today, wondering if the frogs I had been hearing had deposited any eggs yet. Boy have they been busy, there are strands of egg on anything in the water. Maybe I can get a picture tomorrow.

Tobasco, my pair of bluebirds are just so neat. I take my little container of mealworms out in the morning and call them. If they are close enough to hear me they come flying right in ready for their breakfast. I haven't spent enough time out there to find out which house they have chosen.

Donna

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Iris, he had no puncture that I could see. I'm thinking someone who went fishing caught them and they escaped. Both were at different times. Bullfrog was just dry and looked like he needed water. We have the frogs you have, but I'm not sure what a wart frog is. DH went for his walk this morn and came home to tell me there was a dead coyote in the ditch. He was 3/10's of a mile out. I had to go look. Thanks to your picture, I think he was a young male. Must have been hit by a car. I didn't see any blood. We rarely hear or see them. At least not that close to town.
Donna, I didn't know a bluebird was so friendly. That's neat!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I finally bought some meal worms and wanted to recommend them if you haven't tried them! The first time I put them out in a saucer a bluebird was there is 10 minutes gobbeling them down!

Here's Mrs. BB

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's Mr. BB

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately other birds like meal worms too ... like Ghengis mockingbird who has taken them over and pecks the bluebirds on the head when he is around! ;-<

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

And here is Mr. BB and Mr. cardinal sharing nicely lol! They each feed their wives too.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Neat pictures Lilyfantn. We just started having a mockingbird last year and was hoping he would move a little closer. Now I wonder if it's a good idea. Everyone talks about their aggression. Sure is nice to hear them sing.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

There are special mealworm feed boxes with 1 1/2" holes for the bluebirds. I have two of those and so far Bluebirds are the only birds I have seen go into them. Donna

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Update:
As of yesterday I have 5 baby bluebirds!!!! Once they get a little older I'll try to get pictures. Also have 4 chickadee babies in one of my bluebird boxes, and 4 carolina wrens in a gourd. I have GRANDBIRDIES. LOL
Gary

This message was edited Apr 28, 2006 8:08 PM

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh boy!! Am thrilled for you, Gary!! Yes sireesirs, you betcha .. we're gonna be lookin' for some pitters .. from you soon!

FIVE of the BB babies, 'ey! Good-ness! .. Haint it wonderfully funny, how baby birds just warm our hearts and cause some big ol smiles to appear on our mugs!?! (heehee)

I think the BB nest box, here near the yard .. has some additional occupants also; for I see both the Momma & the Papa .. delivering goods to the nest box hole. But, I'd sure like to document it .. (lol)

And, we've got some new residents in one of our brand new recycled nest boxes on the back porch .. with additional occupants!

- Magpye

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Magpye good to hear from you! The house with the bluebirds is at the top of a very steep bank, but I WILL get pictures somehow. I also found two newly hatched Mourning Dove egg shells that the moma dropped off in the backyard. Don't know where the babes are but she sure gathers lots of food for them.
Gary

This message was edited Apr 29, 2006 7:17 AM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

gldandrews, 'Congratulations!!!" 13 new baby youngins in the yard !!! Thats exciting!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.