WS Results from the South

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Stocks are blooming, poppies about ready to pop, snaps and dianthus....well taking their time.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

and what you can't see from that last shot...

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful! I'm green with envy

Karen

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Zone envy! I find it diminishes greatly in the second half of May and does not come back until the following January.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Your pots are looking voluptuous down there in TX.

We can only hope!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

dmj, which stocks are those? I've got some evening-scented, and a couple w/ names like "beauty of nice" and "giant imperial mix"...

you guys will have beautiful delphiniums when, if we stick our toe out the door, it will be "seared" from our foot by the heat! lol

Thanks all--will post some more pics when the other stuff starts blooming. The purple stocks are Burpee's "harmony purple". I just love stocks--they smell wonderful IMHO! Also some giant imperials there not blooming yet....
Debbie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Can't wait... Those look lovely.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Lucky you!

A single white poppy.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A long shot of all of them--still waiting for some to bloom--the snapdragons and dianthus seem to be real slow...and then there's my gorgeous water hose...lol

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Beachwood, OH

Ditto on the zone envy
I don't have a speck of green yet in my WS containers. Of course I put them out in Feb but I don't think that should matter. Getting more impatient every day.
a

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

Dmj,
as poppy lover, i was wondering how long it takes for your poppies to bloom from seeds for you? I heard i might take over a year for poppies to bloom. I got bare roots this year and i was quite impressed how how quickly they come up. Now the question is will they bloom? Your white poppy is adorable.

ed

It was planted last Oct and then bloomed about early March...and prompty withered and died in the heat. lol But it was worth it for the short time it lived and provided winter interest as it grew.
=)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

DMJ,

Do you know, broadly speaking, what type of poppy that white one is? The species or common name? Does anybody know? I have a lot of poppy seed, but that is the kind I want. I have Shirley, corn, rhoes (sp?) somniferum, etc., but I never knew what kind that one is!

Suzy

Let me look thru my journals--I can probably find it this weekend. =)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

That would be dandy! If you've ever noticed, most poppy pictures don't show the foliage, just the flower, so I've been having trouble idenitfying the kind I want.

Thanks,
Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.