I need some help! Maybe the 12 step with a support group.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I admit I have a problem. It is a tomato obsession.

I am growing the following varieties this year. I started all of these from seed:
Stupice
Persimmons
Brandywine Red
Creole
Porters Pride
Sun Master
Solar Set
Arkansas Traveler
Porters Pride
Black From Tula
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine Pink
Persimmons
Russian Red
Porter Cherry
Mama Mia
Rio Grande
Grape Tomato

My second shipment of seed from TGS took almost three weeks. Therefore, I ordered the following plants from heirloomtomatoplants.com because I would not be able to grow a new set of seedlings before it gets too hot.

Boxcar Willie
Eva Purple Ball
Mule Team
Goose Creek
Super Sioux
Constatulo Genovese
Boondocks
Pruden's Purple
Tropic

Okay. I think it is 27 different types. I am growing at least 2 but as many as 4 to 6 of each of the ones that I planted from seed. I am also going to be aquiring a few others via trade from one of my fellow tomato junkies here at the garden.

I had two trees taken out of the back yard to accomodate my garden.

I just can't wait to taste the wide array of tomato flavor.

Could some of the rest of you share your problem with the group?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Could some of the rest of you share your problem with the group?

Ummm,eerrrrrr, which of my problems would you like me to share with the group? LOL

Let me rephrase that.

Tomato Problems?
Health problems?
Cat problems?
Getting grocery problems?

I mean, i've got lots of problems. LOL

OK, I know you mean tomato problems, but what KIND of tomato problems are you referring to?

If you mean obsession problems, well, pretty much everyone here knows I've had that problem for over two decades now, as regards heirloom tomato varieties.

Carolyn

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Problem? What problem? I don't have a problem! And, no, I'm not in denial! ☺

Well, maybe.

Ok, ok, I admit it! [hangs head in shame]

Hello. My name is Rhonda, and I'm a tomato seed-a-holic. It's been one week since my last acquisition, and it was a real binge (that ZZTOPSOIL is such an enabler! ☺)

I have 15 different new-to-me varieties this year, and I didn't even get all the ones I meant to. Just found the list I made last fall of the varieties I wanted to try this year, and I only have two of them. Somehow I missed out on German Red Strawberry, Black Cherry, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Stump of the Word, Chapman, Red Penna and Earl of Edgecomb. Doh! But, then again, there's always next year. ; )

I *did* however get the following:
Kellogg's Breakfast
Paul Robeson
Hugh's
Old Wyandotte
Ernesto
Cherokee Green
German Head
Goose Creek
Brandywine (Sudduth)
Pruden's Purple
Oaxacan Jewel
Black from Tula
Eva Purple Ball
Stupice
Garden Peach

I'm not listing all the tomatoes I have, just the ones that are new this year. And, hey, compared to some folks, it doesn't seem to be many at all! So, yeah, I don't have a problem; it's all those un-tomato people who have the problem!

Rhonda

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I know I have a problem. I know that there are also a lot of other people on this site that have the same problem. Please feel free to share your problem with the group.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Goose Creek

I didn't think seeds were being sold anywhere, jsut plants being sold by Laurel.

Of course you could have gotten them from someone who grew the plants last year as several folks I know did so. And they reviewed it.

So how come if you didn't have Chapman and Red Penna you didn't answer my offer for free seeds in a post here about a week or so ago? (smile)

If you still want them e-mail me at cmale@aol.com, not DG mail, with your home address and tell me if you plan to sow seeds this year, so I know where to put your request in line with others more southerly, if NS, means Nova Scotia.

Carolyn

Commerce, TX(Zone 7b)

Foolcontrol, have you raised Persimmon b/4. I have some I have started from seed and I am trying to determine how many to plant? I have no experience with them...soooo any info. will help. Thanks! Jerry

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Please feel free to share your problem with the group.

Well, I only plant about 10 varieties of tomatoes. hah

I planted about 20 varieties of watermelons last year....how about that?!
Course, I have my list down to about 15 this year...that ought to be enough for any watermelon eater...right!!

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

So how come if you didn't have Chapman and Red Penna you didn't answer my offer for free seeds in a post here about a week or so ago? (smile)

Carolyn, you wouldn't believe how much stuff I miss. ; )

You should be receiving an email shortly. ☺

Rhonda

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

The amount is slightly embarrassing....

So, I'll spare ya'll.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 4:09 PM

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Beare

I think a lot of people are raising Persimmons this years. FREE from TGS. I understand it is not heat tolerant. Therefore, I would not count on any production from it. I am not saying that it will not produce in our climate. I personally don't expect much from it.

Carolyn

I said in my post that I got the second group of plants from Laurel. She was very friendly.

Commerce, TX(Zone 7b)

Carolyn you are right! I got my Peresimmon seeds from TGS. I also have the following growing: Classica, Rocky, Momotaro, Peron, Sioux, Early Pick, and Solar Set. Any information on any or all of these?

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Foolcontrol - No problem, we can break that addiction. Come with me and we can drive all around the country picking up new seeds as we go along. Oh, wait. I think I got that wrong. Well, it's not an addiction to save lots of seeds, it's normal. And don't you forget it! Ed

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I have learned a lot about several of the different heirlooms available. The more I know. The more I want to grow.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Fool, I do believe your problem is bigger than mine!! haha.

A neighbor just gave me several seedlings called Firenze. Anyone know anything more about it than the sparse info that is on the plantfiles? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31125/index.html

He said it will produce well in hot climates.

Thanks,
Michelleb

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a problem.....

I was a normal guy who went to work, stayed home and then....

I started seeds.....

Not just any seeds: TOMATO SEEDS The hard stuff.

I used to hang around this place called DG and I got even more hooked.

I wanted to grow 6 tomato plants and now look at me....
SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey BB,
okay...so I started with a dozen seeds called Delicious last year (my first year gardening). I knew Zero about tomato plants/gardening. I have 10 plants...two I gave away due to lack of room.

This year...I am now with 17 varieties and 85 seedlings. It is an insanity that "grows" on you. haha.

Michelleb

I brought 4 more shop lights today and I am thinking about another rack

Do you guys do interventions?

Koralik
Mortgage Lifter
Orange King
Orange Oxheart
Brandywine
Schmmeig Striped Hollow
Juliet
Early Girl
Heinz
Patio Tomatoes
Pineapple
Sweet Million
Marzano
Prinicpe
Cherokee Purple

And I just got started on peppers.

I'm going to need 5 or ten years of rehab

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

This IS NOT my place. So you have a lot of tomatoes??

Thumbnail by Indy

Omigod Indy:

You really need some help...

Please tell me you have somewhere to plant all of those.....

Is that from this year????

BB

Whose cars are those???

I sure hope they aren't used to parking in the garage!!!

LOL

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

No, BB. These are not my plants. This is from a couple years ago in North Carolina. The man sells most of them.

My 8 year old came in from school today, sniffed, and yelled "Mom's making dirt again." Like it was a bad thing?

Did he have a greenhouse or did he just start them in the house?

I'm struggling to find places to put all of mine now.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

BB - Interventions? Who needs interventions?! What we really need to know is, did you get a good deal on the shop lights and what piece of furniture did you move out of the house to accomodate more tomatoes?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'd be worse than I am with a little more skill and a lot more money...I'm looking at fool's list and drooling...I can see that I'm going to have to add several more seeds to my fall list.

Saint

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Melissa, how many did you end up starting? I know you sent me a ton of your extras!

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

BronxBoy

Maybe you can rack your shelving/lights to include more. I am trying to communicate going vertical instead of horizontal with your setup.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Well I only have space for 9 plants in the greenhouse, and it DOES give me enough tomatoes. But I really wanted to grow the ones I have found I liked, as well as some more I've been longing to try, then there's some more that sound REALLY good, and......help!

Mine are not sown yet, the 'newcomers' are buried in a big bag along with all my other secret stash, I keep thinking I have to sort them into piles of 'priority', but like a smoker wanting to give up, I don't admit it's really there, I just go and get a fix every now and then!

BB if you get a new rack, maybe we can help out, like STRAP you down to it and a little formative torture perhaps......or if you happen to end up in rehab there will be others there to help you while away the time, like MORE tomato cases, plenty of therapy there, you could spend hours happily growing tomatoes! HAHAHAHAAHA

I've got 83 varieties right now, with a few more coming. I need to send you a few more I think the kids would like. :-) Thanks for asking Chele.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Sequee has 300 varieties, but don't tell her I told you. Oldseed won't confess to how many he has but he is growing over 100 kinds this year. As for me, I posted my list somewhere but I forgot where.

It is useless to try to get over this. Tomatoes just take over your life. I am going to Hawaii in April and I don't really want to because I am afraid my son and his wife will not take care of my tomato babies. What if I'm not there when their seed case won't come off by itself and they die? Even if they are okay when I get home, I will have missed out on almost 2 weeks of their lives. I am starting them earlier than I probably should because I MUST see them pop out of that beautiful soilless mix.

How many of you would rather stay home from Hawaii to grow tomatoes. Is there really anybody out there that is that sick?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I am soooo going to have my DH read this thread. THEN MAYBE he won't be on my case so much....once he sees that I'm WAY less nuts than the rest of you. LOL!!! ;)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I didn't want to travel last summer cause of my maters...DH thought I was nuts, but then nobody said anything about the Islands....

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

We changed our vacation this year to July. We usually go in late August but that is prime mater picking time so no can do. Last year I asked several people to come pick whatever they wanted but there was tons rotted anyway!

-Kim

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so far over the edge (have discovered that 12 step gardening programs are ineffectual for me) I've planted these 4 Totem Hybrids form Totally Tomatoes in this pot out front just for the newly nesting mockingbirds......

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 10:14 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, no, definately no vacations during the growing and harvesting season! Especially since there are not that many securely frost free days in the high desert. I mean, I might need to sheild those lovely tomatoes from frost or heat stroke... besides, going out to the garden every day IS a vacation.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie, you know...you gave me a great idea. I may put one sacrificial tomato plant in a pot in the front yard and one in the back to feed the squirrels and the mockers and maybe they will leave my plants that will have netting over them alone. Some how they are able to get into the netting...they are slick birds,I tell ya.

As far as vacations go...ours will be to China to get our daughter. So if some miraculous event happened and we were to get our referral in the summer and travel during fruit-bearing time, the baby will take priority over that. haha. Our daughter is the only thing to take priority over the maters. LOL! But alas, I doubt we will get the referral that early...most likely in Nov or Dec. I have already bought her a big pink snow suit for her to wear since it will prob'ly be pretty doggone chilly in Beijing when we go. Okay...off topic. Sorry...I have a two focus mind...maters and baby. :)
Michelleb

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

All right. I found some heirloom plants and the local nusery. They have several different types and a lot of them are heat tolerant. I am just trying to decide which ones to get. I miscounted my seedlings that I planted and discovered I have room for two more plants. I just can't decide which two.

They have Biltmore, Merced, Homestead 24, BHN 444, RoadRunner III, Sugary, Sweet 100, Sungold, Caspian Pink, Black Krim, Black Plum, Golden Boy, Porter and some other heirlooms that I can't remember. I am still researching to decide which ones to buy. I am leaning toward Merced and Black Plum. However, Sugary, Black Krim and Caspian Pink are interesting also.

I know I have a problem.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know how many cherries you already have but Sungold should be one of them. My picks for you were Sungold and Black Krim. Aren't you glad you asked?!? LOL

-Kim

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I was considering Sungold for the fall crop. I don't think it does very well in the heat. I could be wrong.

I don't think Caspian Pink would produce here based on FarmerDill's comments in PlantFiles.

I am now leaning toward Black Plum and either Sugary or Black Krim.

I am already growing Black from Tula.

Commerce, TX(Zone 7b)

foolcontrol - If you have never planted Merced, then you have not lived... No really, I have planted them every year now for three years. It has to be my very best producer, large harvest of 20 to 25 tomatos in the 8 oz to 12 oz range. Wonderful taste and easy to grow... I love this tomato.... (I think my wife is getting jealous!) Jerry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.