African Mask

Boulder Creek, CA(Zone 9a)

I got one a year or so ago and it eventually died. Failure to thrive!

Got a new one. Great speciman, but small.

Inside 2 weeks leaves are going yellow/brown. I know it needs to stay moist, but I did not let it stand in water.

I did add some "Soil Moist" granules so it would not dry out. (Sometimes I am forgetful about watering.)

We have a wall heater and it is far from there. NO forced air heating. House seldom warmer than 70 degrees and it is in a cool spot by a garden window, but not in it.

???

Steve

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd change that 'cool spot' to a warm one....these like warmth and humidity.

Maybe near your wall heater with a pebble tray beneath it?

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hi,

I have never heard of this plant...do you have a pic or a website?

Thanks,

Joanne

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I have one of these as well and it to is not doing so hot.. i do have some new shoots coming from the stem but it gets very droopy if i dont water it like every 2-3 days. And after i water it is bounces back, i lost a couple leaves but all in all i think it has done ok....I have it sitting under a flouresent light.

Char

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Mine are doing pretty well....I have them near a fluorescent light but they also get a little bit of morning sun.
I have a couple of these and several other EE type plants all sitting in a tray on top of a seedling heat mat.

I've been told they like warm roots. A few of them that were dormant are popping back to life!

Joanne...when you see this photo you're gonna want one, dontcha know!!

Here's a link to a photo in the DG PF
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/pdb_sclarke_2003-01-12_1042420171505.jpg

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Nan I clicked on your link and got a blank page. Is my computer messing up or what?

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My plant loves my office, it's doing very well.

Alocasias can die down for a period, so don't panic if yours disappears!

Yes I agree about the warmer temperatures, they don't like it too cool.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Morning Nan!

Thank you for sending the link....it is beautiful but unfortunately it is too big for the house...I have over 500 houseplants and I can only squeeze in small plants.

I love the variegation!

Thanks again, appreciate it! First time I have seen one of them.

Joanne

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmmm...sorry about that....maybe that person removed their photos or something? I dunno.

Hey, Joanne....I have about that # myself (give or take)....and I have 2 of these!
They really don't get all that big, and a smaller pot helps to keep the size in check.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I went through the same thing with my first alocasia. But I now have a new one and keep it next to a bright window and it is doing well. I water only once a week though.

kanita

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

You know i thought i had one of these but it is not one :o( It is a Zebra "stripes Forever" Aphelandra Squarrosa... Will have to look for a African Mask somewhere, does anyone know where i can find one online, possibly from ebay...well heck I will just look now.

Char

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.