WS Cuphea ignea - Cigar Plant?

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Has anyone tried wintersowing Cuphea ignea 'Cigar Plant Matchless' ? I can't find any references to it. Thx

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/7094/1

It sounds like it would be a pretty good candidate from the Thompson and Morgan germination description, doesn't it?

I'm going to try it, in any case.

Thanks tabasco, that's who I ordered the seeds from but I'm new to WSing so how could you tell it was a good candidate? I printed the instructions and I'm afraid I'm clueless! LOL

Well, it sounds like a 'tender annual' and you can winter sow those starting in March around here...and probably where you are too...

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Cuphea ignea is native to Mexico and the islands of the West Indies, so it's considered a tropical. I've got seeds for this one too, but I won't be WSing them - think they're a better candidate for spring-sowing, or when the danger of any late freezes is past.

But, WSers are always pushing the envelope. So maybe try just a couple of seeds with WS and see what happens? In your zone, KatyMac, it might work.

PV

Yes, I think in Zone 8 wintersowing in March with a plastic cover would keep the moisture/humidity at a good level--better than just sowing out in the garden where too much rain (or not enough) might hinder development.

In zone 6, a different story, perhaps, although others report tropicals have done OK for late wintersowing.

We'll see. I will keep notes and we can compare different approaches...it will be itnteresting to see.

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 6a)

I recently sowed my cuphea ignea but since I didn't have many seeds I didn't want to chance it and I sowed mine inside along with the batfaced cuphea. Even inside germination was sporadic for me.

Penny

I went ahead and wintersowed mine on 3/5. No sprouts to date but then none of my winter sown seeds have sprouted. Boy, am I worried! The one little flat I started inside have sprouted though.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've never done this variety of cuphea from seed but this one I have. I have alot of them and they are perenial here so no need to reseed.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

They get huge, despite the fact they freeze to the ground every year, and I love them so much I have a huge area for them.
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'll think I'll just make a point of living vicariously through Debbie during the winter months. Her garden always rocks...

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I've ws mine, but no sprouts yet either

Thank you Zeppy--I'll live vicariously thru your garden in Aug-Sept!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.