Flowering wondering jew

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I had no idea that my green/yellow varigated wondering jew would flower. I was sitting at my desk and this flower appeared out of no where. I started following it and it was a part of my wondering jew. It is hanging by the window that is over my desk. So I took a photo of it. It is a tiny little thing, smaller than a dime. But it is so cute.

Jessek

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

By the way, could someone tell me how to prepare some of the cuttings so that I can mail them to a friend?

JesseK

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

JesseK,

Are you sure this is a Tradescantia (variegated wandering jew)?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I am sure. Here are some photos of it if you would like to see it.

JesseK

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is another one. You can see how the leaves are all different colors.

JesseK

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

You can see the yellow ones here.

JesseK

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like a spiderwort to me.
Patti

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Rose, I believe spiderworts are classified under Tradescantia. I think she's got a WJ, there. I have the same one Jesse. I bought it from a nursery in Sharpsburg, NC last Mother's Day. I fell in love with it instantly!

Jesse, just below a node and wrap the cut ends in a damp paper towel. You can then either wrap t hem in plastic wrap or place in a ziploc baggie to maintain the moisture while in transit.

GH

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

I had one like this a few years ago and it also flowered. i had this variety, purple and tricolor and they all flowered. What a beautiful plant. I lost all of mine during a move in the winter over a year ago. They are so easy to root!!! just stick a piece in water or dirt. the purple ones has a pinkish purple flower. hope this helps.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

lovesdaylillies,

I would be more then happy to share some cuttings of this plant with you, i also have a purple one if you would like some of those cuttings for postage..just let me know

Char

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

I would love some for postage!!!! I was actually looking at ebay for cuttings lol. Let me know how much. Thanks so much!!!!

Kelly

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

kelly,

I would say a $3.85 priority box will do, I will put some of the slips of the 3 different ones i have in there. I will probably mail them on tuesday as monday i have to have a root canal, and i dont want them sitting at the Post Office all weekend.

Char

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

This is so pretty and never seen Variegated. Blooms are so lovely.
Kaleem

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I do not mind sharing mine with anyone. That is what I was planning to do. I had the purple one but lost it because I had it outside and the frost got it. This year I will make sure to bring it in earlier. This one is in the house right now. What I will probably do is cut it way back in the spring and send clippings to anyone who wants some. I have already promised some to one person. Do you think it is best to wait until spring to do this or would now be okay?

JesseK

Please also include me in your sending list. I have purple one only.
Kaleem

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

You got it Kaleem.

JesseK

JesseK
Thank you sooooooooooooo much.
Kaleem

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

Can i send you postage paypal? or you want it in the mail?

Kelly

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Good growing, Jesse!
Your plant is obviously a very happy one.

Hey, Char & Kelly....just FYI....when the postage rates went up, the 1 lb. priority box also went up to $4.05.

Kelly...I can tell you from experience....you're gonna love your cuttings ;)

Char...I sent you a d-mail....did you get it?

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

kelly,

Either way is fine with me, Paypal addy is jerrylambert@alltel.net or if you wanna send a check or money order i am in the addy exchange

Char

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

Char,
I sent paypal for $4.05 I can't wait!!! The purple i used to have i had hanging on the porch at my old house during the summer it got so big and pretty.

Nan,
Thanks for the update on postage price.

JesseK,
Thanks for starting this thread. I forgot how much i enjoyed my wandering jew when i had it! You took good pictures.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Kelly,

I will do my best to mail them out on Monday and should get them fast since you live in GA. Yeah you dont know how much you miss a plant till you dont have it anymore, these are just one of the easiest to grow, although my purple one is not doing as well as the verigated one and they get the same amount of sun and water...hmm dont know why....anywho, you will recieve them the begining of next week sometime..probably tues or wed.

Yeah Nan thanks for the postage update, I had no idea.

Have a Good Weekend,

Char

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes GrowHappy spiderwort are classsified under Tradescantia.

Jesse your var . wandering jew is beautiful .i have never seen the var. on you have bloom before. I have a bridal veil , and the purple zebra type , and the purple heart. , and the mini green, and here is spiderwort larger green with a blue flower ( in picture).
Patti

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by rose318
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Patti,

I have never seen one with the blue flowers on it. Which one do you have?

JesseK

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone still want cuttings of this plant? I just gave it a good haircut so I have plenty to share.

Jesse

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes tradescantias are related to the garden spiderworts and the flowers are very similar. As far as I know all the wandering jews have white flowers.

I've always read that you should pinch out the flowers to concentrate on getting leaves. Rooting cuttings with flowers is also more difficult.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

My purple WJ has pink flowers. The striped WJ, with pink, green, white/cream, has pinkish/whitish flowers. They are all so lovely.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes they are. I just recently got one of the purple-grayish ones. I think my varigated green one is going to really grow now that I cut it back. I'm going to give it some plant food. I know it will like that.

Jesse

Cincinnati, OH

Wow!! I just came across this post and boy oh boy, what a pretty plant. I would love to have a cutting of this plant, two if you have it, so I can give one to my sister who is a plant lover like me.....about the only thing she and I share, she is 11 years my junior. I did not even know that there was a green and white WJ. Let me know!!

Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.