Container Plantings Ideas Book

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I wonder if anyone can recommend a book on annual plant combinations for container gardens for shade and sunny gardens? I looked at the books on BookWorm and most only have 1 or 2 reviews. I am looking for a book that has a lot pictures, plant lists and ideas for annual containers. I already have Bountiful Container book so I don't need a book that details the soils, fertilizers, pests, etc. Or if you know of a magazine or web site recommendation with this info that would be great also.

Thanks!
Sue

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

sue,
here is the title of 3 books, I find a lot of good ideals
about container gardening. and each one is full of pictures
1. The complete guild to container gardening
by Stephanie Donaldson
2. The Window Box gardening book
by Anne M. Halpin
3. Hanging basket
Andrew Mikolajski
I order them from www.books4less.com total was about $10.oo
for all 3 books
gale

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi sue
I maid a mistake on the web site
fot the books it is www.allbooks4less.com

sorry gale

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

Though it's not a book, the White Flower Farm catalog tends to have lots of good ideas for annual container gardens. I have always found their annuals to be way too small to bother with (as you know, in zone 5 we just don't have the time to wait for puny little plants to do their thing!), but they do have some gorgeous container displays. I've kept several of their former catalogs for planting references. And best of all, as opposed to a book, it's free!! :)

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's a few.

1. The Reader's Digest "The Complete Container Garden"
2. The Practical Guide to Container Gardening by Susan Berry & Steve Bradley
3. Container Plants for Patios, Balconies, and Window Boxes by Halina Heitz
4. The Reader's Digest "Container Gardening For All Seasons"

I used to get books from a Gardening book club, but it went defunct :-(

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sue, this is a great website for getting ideas. There is a tab at the top, just click on 'combinations'. I always enjoy this site for the ideas and you can also see what is new for the year.

http://www.provenwinners.com/main.cfm

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Missg and Revclaus - Thanks for all the book selections! My library consortium had most of them so I will give them a once over before purchasing.

Calypsa - One or two years I got White Flower Farm catalog -- too pricey for me to order from but you are right that they had such wonderful pictures. I will check it out.

Thanks Brinda for the web link I'll take a look at tonight when I have more time.

Sue

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

The publishers of "Fine Gardening" put out a container gardening issue. I just bought it about a week ago so it should still be in the magazine section of a larger bookstore. If you don't want to invest just yet in a more expensive book, this had some great ideas.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Brinda - wow the Proven Winners site had so many great ideas. I love it! I guess they do this so you'll buy their plants but hey, it doesn't mean you have to! Plus I have had good luck when I've gotten their plants before. Definitely some ideas here.

OutsidePlaying - thanks for the tip on Fine Gardening. I'll check it out!

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

One of my favorites is "Container Gardening" by Paul Williams. He stresses the importance of choosing not only the plants, but the right container. One or two plants in the right container can be a knock-out. The pictures are gorgeous and most of the plants are easily obtainable.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

P. Allen Smith (weather channel guy) has several container gardening books--google his web site.

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I have two container books:

1) Container Gardens by Number, by Bob Purnell
50 colorful plant-by-number, plans for hanging baskets, pots, and window boxes.

2) P. Allen Smith's Container Gardens
60 container recipes

Linda

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks tootsie, dmj and creadman! I got the first batch of books from my library consortium (via inter library loan). Have to request the ones you suggested. The librarian was so jealous when I went to pick up my book holds the other day!

Thornton, IL

Go to BHG's website, they have container planting plans using all the latest plants, as they are released they're updated, and they have a free gardening newsletter.

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/gardening/index.jhtml

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sue, Sidney posted this link over on the annuals forum. There are some beautiful containers here too. Enjoy!!!

http://www.plantbynumber.com/combos.htm

Thornton, IL

OOOhh, thanks you guys!!! I don't know about you sedum, but I'm having a great time looking at these links! Anyone know sources for affordable, nice pots? It's hit or miss at my local Home Depot. I do like the ones that look like clay, but they're not. I have a couple of those.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Yes, thanks for all the web links and book references! I am going through some of the container books now and have taken a look at the web sites as they appear. Keeping them coming!

Sue

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

PraireGirlZ5 - Try Target for planters. Also my local Sears had some nice pots which was a shock to me because I usually don't think of Sears for this type of thing. Kmart -- Martha Stewart ones are worth looking at.

Try Big Lots - here is their store locator:
http://www.biglots.com/aboutus/storefind_adv.asp
People seem to rave about this store (sorry I don't have direct experience with it)!

Do you have a Linens and Things or Bed,Bath and Beyond store near you? They have containers in spring time.

Sue

Thornton, IL

I'm looking for large containers, so many places have containers that are pretty but they're too small! Jo-Ann fabrics has been a surprising source of garen decor. I do have a Big Lots store nearby, I'll have to check it out, I've never been there either. Thanks!

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

PraireGirl - the Target near us had very large containers and the Sears too. Another two craft stores to try: A.C. Moore or Michael's. Michaels has locations in Illinois. I am not sure about AC Moore.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home

I guess the selection varies greatly by store location.

Thornton, IL

I live at Target, so I'll have to keep an eye out! How many do you plant? Do you color coordinate the plantings? i have mostly shade, so I plan to use lots of coleus and other foliage plants. Lots of good ideas on these sites too. :-)

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

PraireGirl - you know I am fairly new to containers. I have several rock garden troughs and have done basic whiskey barrel containers. Also I help my mother with her containers on her deck. Also, I grow many tomatoes in containers. For my flower containers, this year I wanted to do something with more pizazz. I ordered some tropical plants this year and hope to use them in containers. I too am looking at new larger containers to buy.

For shade try 'Non-Stop' begonias mixed in with your containers. My mother in law has a lot of shade and she grows nice mixed containers of these. You can start as tubers or you can find as plants a local nurseries.

Look at the picture in this post for inspiration:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/579389/

Sue

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

If anyone has an extra book for trade please LMK.
Teresa in KY

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I picked up another book from the library, I thought it's great! I'm thinking about buy this book to my collection.

The Container Gardening Encyclopedia: Creative gardening in pots, tubs, troughs and baskets
Compiled by Sue Phillips
ISBN: 1-85833-385-7

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I did it. I've ordered the encyclopeida book at half.com listed in the above post. lol. Just what I need, another book for my personal library.

:D

Linda

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

One can never have too many books!! Especially books that are useful and bring happiness to those who read them :-)

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

So very true, calypsa. More reference books the better.

Linda :)

Thornton, IL

sedum - that sure is inspiring! Thanks.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I enjoy this site for ideas since most are foliage plants. By th way, each small image can be clicked on to enlarge.
http://www.firmlyplanted.net/collections.php

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 8:34 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I love doing the courtyard pots for summer and thought you might enjoy this article on container planting:
http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Link-Page?SC=JNA7014B&id=5416

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

just found a great book "Container Gardening For Dummies".

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Sam's Club has some great 18" - 24" planters for only $9.88 - $14.88. They are awesome.

kanita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Creative Containers by Paul williams is a great how to and picture book.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Here is a book I'd recommend that hasn't been mentioned:

Gardens to Go : Creating and Designing a Container Garden
by Sydney Eddison, Steve Silk.

It has a lot of ideas for containers for different situations (small/lg patios, roof tops, decks, etc). The photos are stunning and the plants are listed so you can copy the ideas. Many tropical plants are used in the containers if you are looking to integrate more tropicals in your containers.

The book is pricey though so get it at your library first or perhaps you have a library consortium you can borrow from a neighboring library.

Sue

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sidney Eddison is fabulous

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Bountiful Container is a great book for planting vegetables in containers.

kanita

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

So many good books and web links in this thread. I ended up taking a lot of the books out of the library and got so many good ideas for my containers. If you'd like to take a look at how my containers came out, check out the album below. Or here is one picture to look at or here is my album:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=10593099&uid=4348107

Sue

Thumbnail by sedum37
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Sue, you have some beautiful containers started! Please make sure you keep us posted as they grow in.....I just love to see a full overgrown container! I love them so much!!!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Sue,
Thanks for the pics! And ESPECIALLY for identifying the plants! I'm encouraged.

Brinda: Miss you, too!

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Brinda and Gymgirl! I put the names because I hated when I went to web sites or looked in books and they didn't have the names there. It is hard to get ideas when you don't have all the information! I like to take 'progression' photos when I do projects so I'll post some updated photos once they show some growth. My only concern since I am unfamiliar with all the plants if they'll be too crowded once they start growing.

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.