(10 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(17 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a GREAT HUBBY!!!!!!!
I am disabled so he does everything I ask. He tries to make it so I can garden and do my crafting. It takes me a long time to get a project done cause I have to craft for a while and then rest. He is the best. Aleta

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I have gotten great satisfaction out of tackling 'fix-it' jobs and started doing so out of necessity years ago. . .simply didn't have the funds to pay someone w/4 mouths to feed. Have crawled through attics to install ceiling fans properly and under houses many times. . . EWWWWWWWWWWWW. . .to accomplish what would have been exorbitant to pay for (try not to have to do that anymore. . .LOL). A friend and I considered at one time starting a small business of the this type before she moved away. Taking a new tack this Spring. . . . learning how to do electrical work from a professional friend.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I'm more than willing to tackle anything and everything - indoors and out. Too bad I couldn't vote in 2 categories though. My DH is very much the handyman as well. Between the two of us we can do anything that needs doing.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

WE tackle most every project in, on, and around our place; with very few exceptions otherwise.

- Magpye

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Manual dexterity often declines as we age, and that has happened in my case. I still do as much as I can tackle safely, but chores that require ladder climbing or lots of wrist action are the ones I hire out. I'm glad there are talented people who offer their services, and I'm pleased to help these entrepreneurs earn a living.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

The one benefit to renting is that when something goes wrong you call the landlord and he takes care of it. I must admit, however, that my husband and I are both fairly handy and enjoy DIY projects, so we only call the landlord when there is a big problem that he needs to know about. The little stuff we do ourselves.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

My hubby is definitely a DIYer. Thank goodness! We'd never be able to afford to hire out all the projects that this house needed to make it nice... My FIL is incredibly helpful as well, I don't think we'll ever be able to repay him for all the time he's spent over here with us. Thankfully he and my husband view the time as "dad and lad bonding time."

Strictly DIY! Here's my latest project in oak. Just finished up, and if you look carefully, you'll see a couple shims sticking out. (They aren't there now.) I always need a challenge!

Thumbnail by
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

It took me years to realize that I can't do everything, it's a macho thing, and I'm cheap, most of the things I tackeled myself were not done professioanlly, which is now very important to me. They got done but I didn't really save any money because it usually had to do them twice. I can't do everything and have excepted the fact, I have learned it's actually cheaper in many cases to have it done professionally, also I get better peace of mind when it' is done correctly. My house is a huge investment and I woludn't want to short change or do something half way. I'll pay a little more and have it done by certified trades people. I think there is a difference between home handyman and professional trades people. I wouldn't want a DIYer doing my electrical service or changing a major plumbing job, or installing my carpet or one of many other jobs around the house. You can't go wrong with hiring the correct trades people for your home. Protect your investment and hire certified trades people.

Lake Villa, IL(Zone 5a)

The truth is, it's my hubby that's the DIY'er. I'd love to say I do it, but it's really him. He just can't pay anyone to do a job he can do himself. The says it's the Frugal Polish in him.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I voted Other: There was no option for putting something fabulous-smelling in the oven then handing DH some tools. Nothing like a promise of greater things to come!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Its not rocket science.
I can do just about everything that needs to be done.

That God for This Old House, Tommy Silva and Norm Abrams.

Paul

This message was edited Feb 21, 2006 1:30 PM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We hire a licensed electrician or plumber when major electrical or gas work needs done. (There's nothing wrong with doing small jobs yourself, even electrical, assuming you know what you're doing. Bigger electrical projects and gas lines....nuh uh - I leave that to the guys and gals who know what they're doing.)

We have undertaken major cosmetic work to every room of this house - we ripped out paneling and carpet, installed new drywall and trim, and laid new laminate flooring throughout (one more room to go - we had it "professionally" carpeted, and I've regretted that choice for five years - it's coming out in favor of more laminate later this year.)

We've painted the interior and exterior of two homes we built, and the interior of the home we're in now. (I know there are excellent painters out there, but many of the crews hired by general contractors do a rushed job with watered-down paint. I knew we could use a better quality paint and do it better than they would - at a fraction of what they would charge. It's a big investment of our time to do it ourselves, but it has always paid off with a better, longer-lasting finish than neighboring homes that were profesionally painted)

In this home we gutted three bathrooms and the kitchen (it definitely doesn't take a certified tradesman to demolish a room - you just have to be "certifiable" yourself to summon the courage to start pounding on the prybar with a hammer *grin*) We then installed new cabinets, drywall, flooring, sinks, lights, fixtures (yep, tubs, showers, toilets, the works) - and flooring.

We also tackle most every job outside - new beds, new lawn, planting anything and everything that needs planting. We just finished putting on a new deck and new sidewalk connecting it to the carport.

I grew up with parents who always tackled their own home/garden projects, so - for better or worse - I approach things with a "how hard can THAT be?" spirit. (Which sometimes gets me into trouble!)

I voted other. While my DH and I are DIYers for the easier stuff like painting and putting stuff together, I get my brother to do the tough stuff like electricals and plumbing. We did however, hire a fellow to put up the backsplash in the kitchen - after considering doing it ourselves, and picturing the missing fingers....

Theres noting quite like tackling the house or yard with ones own hands, sweat and beers (moderately, thank-you). With all the money I save on doing my own work, I can buy more tools so I can do more work. Wait a minute; is that right? Probably, because the more I do the more there is to do and more pleasure and satisfaction is achieved. Round and round I go, when it all stops only the wife knows. ( is that her I hear calling me to clean up and come in for dinner) YES! See ya, gotta go as I've worked up an appitite doing all the stuff myself....HAPPY GARDENING!!!!

Thumbnail by
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The older I get, the less I do. At work I like to tackle jobs too big for the men,LOL.
I just say you have to be smarter than the tools.
Sidney Ann

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The only thing I hire out is the mechanic work on vehicles. I absolutly hate it!
Give me a good challenge in construction & I,m right there. We've lived here 24 years & the only professional I let in is the electrican to work on the power pole, from there on it is mine!
When we purchased the place we had to upgrade sewer system. A good friend that's in that business put in for us.
I do take my welding projects to the blacksmith uptown, that is a job that requires experience. I can weld, but if you don't do it daily, look out!
Bernie

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I have to agree w/bernie on the welding bit. While I can stick pieces of metal together in a way that you can trust your weight on them, There are many who can do it faster, w/better looking results than mine. Fourtunetly they usually need computer work done about about the same time I need welding done.

Other than that I try to do everything I can - and do enjoy it when the results are good.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I tackle everything around here .............
that is unless it requires climbing on the roof of the house or one of the barns ;-(

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I do as much as I can do myself and my hubby does the big stuff. We don't hire anyone out because if we need help, one of hub's friends always helps us out.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

It is painfully obvious that the man that lived in this house before us was a DIYer, and now we're having to go through and really fix all the things he messed up: paint on all the windows, all three toilets leaking and one damaged bathroom floor covered up with a bad linoleum tile job, carpets self-installed and wrinkly everywhere, etc. We're young and getting handier, but in the meantime, I want things done right! It's worth it to hire professionals for some jobs. Not to mention that they can do it in just a fraction of the time and with way less frustration. :)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

danak - have you put a car into a dealership repair shop lately - and seen the resulting bill?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Dyson...it is pretty salty. However this brings up for me the part where I am getting older and don't want to do major projects. Oh, I believe in keeping things repaired, trimmed, and such, but have noooo desire to tear out, tear up, or tear into big stuff. ...it is time to move on.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I always tackle DIY things and love it. My DH does help with really envolved projects though. We had bought an older home in the early 90's and have done loads of work on a lot of rooms. At first we didn't know what we were doing, but knew we didn't like things the way they were. Still don't like some things and on a second redo of some rooms. We finally bit the bullet this fall though and hired someone to install a sprinkler system and got seamless metal siding put on the house in the Spring las year. Those were jobs we didn't care to tackle. But we have three ponds, built with family help only. It keeps us young at heart, just don't tell our bodies we're getting older. LOL!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Indy - I enjoy your honesty - at this point there are many things - I would love too "hire out" but if the first "grandchild" were not to learrn a thing about self-reliance from it? - sorry - time for sleep - please excuse me?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I've got two brothers who are experts in construction and automobiles. So they are great about helping out with advice and even "back" effort in the big projects. I do all the gardening stuff on my own - love it. For heavy projects, such as tree trimming, laying outside electrical work, additional plumbing, and putting in a new retaining wall (in other words, when I can kill myself and others), I hire the experts.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I put other. I do all the easy stuff and skip the hard completely.

You mean you can HIRE? people to do it for YOU!! LOL
sue

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

I guess I'm the handy one in our family. I grew up with 4 brothers & tools. I would rather spend $200.00 at a tool shop Than in a dress shop. (although I do own dresses & clean up pretty well. LOL!) I'm the roof scamperer, plumber, builder, fix-it gal. I tiled our floors & counters when we built this house & did all the rock work on the fire place.
I have put in most of the sprinkler lines. I have my own little tractor w/ a backhoe. My DH is from the city & has always hired people do do everything, I think that's nonsense & do all that I can. I just got a new Miter Cut saw for Valentine's Day, how romantic is that?! :-) It's still in the box, it's too heavy for us to get out of the box, my son is coming soon Sat. to help us get it up on the stand. Then I can make some new bird houses! Here's the rock surround for our stove This is in summer so I put a plant on it for color.

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I do as much as I can, used to do a lot more but the years are catching up with me. Don't do much climbing now. The fellow who has worked for me when I could afford and he had the time, does the heavy hard stuff.

DonnaS

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Tays,
No it just doesn't get done!
Al

edited to say- I don't mean to brag , but I pull in 5 figures a year!

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 10:58 AM

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

cant afford to hire someone so i have to do it ..

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm a proud person so here goes: My wife never complains when I buy a tool. I have no "honey do lists". I only have to do lists. Pride goeth before the fall.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Dyson, we don't take our cars to the dealership for repairs. If it's too big of a job for my husband, we have a local mechanic. My point was that I'd rather have things done RIGHT than cheap when it counts. Cheap sometimes has its repercussions, and that's when it's worth it to hire the professional. Ruining the bathroom floor by doing your own plumbing job would have been one of those times-- more costly in the long run. And the car is a good example, too-- wouldn't want to end up stranded due to a faulty "repair" job.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cars belong to the mechanic. If I worked on it myself, the bill would be three times as big when they have to undo my screw-up. I up my bill when I work on a Auto persons house!
Bjs---, great looking work! When you move to Minnesota, you would have a job waiting!
Bernie

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

Bernie, I'm narrowing down the jobs I know I DON'T want to do!
I don't want to be a sheetrocker
I don't want to be a roofer
I don't want to be a plumber
I don't want to be a tile setter
I don't think I want to be a stone mason, although that was fun!
I don't want to be a painter
All jobs I have done with this house. & other odd jobs that make me know....
I don't want to be a migrant farm worker, (I helped pick statice for market one season!)
I don't want to be a brake mechanic!
I just want to be retired now & enjoy the funner things in life.
I think I'll stick to Jewelry designer, it's a wee bit easier!

Harmony, PA(Zone 5b)

I checked "other." I have a young friend who also works for me on my landscaping projects. I pay him to do the really heavy stuff, but I'm out there every step of the way, doing as much as I can (which includes hauling limestone for retaining walls!) I've been scraped and bruised and stung. I've pulled muscles, been sunburned and ducked falling branches. I've got blood and sweat in this soil, and so does he. I wouldn't have changed anything. I joke with him about all the things we've accomplished - every tree and shrub except one, we did together, so he better not tee me off, 'cause I'd have to go out there with a chain saw and cut 'em down. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Bjs--, Enjoy!!
Bernie

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Since my husband passed away 18yrs ago I have tackled everything myself, if I get in a real jam I call someone, but most of the time I work it out, and I find a lot of satisfaction in knowing I did it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.