Albizia julibrissin (mimosa tree) seed storage.

Patrick, I'm gonna get you and your little dog too. No seriously dear... instead of Tulip Tree hon... I'm thinking you won't mind a few surprises to feed your ever so recently acquired lust for Albizia. You must not go Albizialess. We just can't have that.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Hon. ;)

Oops, I am beginning to write like Guy!?!
Pretty soon I'll be wearing loan cloths and Grunting at other forum members. AARRRRGGHHH!!

Hey. seeing how you are being so nice, how about throwing in a little Buckthorn to sweeten the pot...

Oh sure sugah, what flavor of buckthorn do you want? Don't be forgetting to ask for some of that nice variegated red twig dogwood from Siberia. Nice contrast in the leaves when coplanted with the glossy frangula.

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

The evil lives on! Maybe I'll bring my demon spawn to the UMW Roundup! j/k

Disregard the dead oak trees in the photo... I had no more room and no one in this tornado ravaged area wanted a white oak in their yard :(

This message was edited Jun 6, 2006 10:37 PM

Thumbnail by mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

By the way, In the midst of this cat defense 3500 toothpick minefield, lies at least 14 mimosa tree seedlings just peeking up from the earth...........

The whole story on the toothpicks is over in the Garden Foes forum. :)

Thumbnail by mikekilhoffer

My my my, you sure did go to some lengths to try to protect those (cough and gag) precious seedlings there in that photo now didn't you! Reminds me of something one of my kids would have done.

Hey, are you really going to the UMW RU? That's great! I was sort of feeling sorry for Al because he was the only guy going. Not that he seems to be bothered by being the only guy but he's going to look like he has a harem or something. I've got a little gag gift I am preparing for Al. I bought this really nice planter that I'm sure his wife can re-use somewhere and I'm going to go around and dig up a Buckthorn seedling, Lambs Quarters, Mullein, Burning Bush seedlings, a Barberry seedling, Siberian Red Twig Dogwood seedling, Oxe-Eye and Shasta Daisies, and anything else I run into that's small that can be planted in the planter and I'm going to pot it all up for him nice and purty. It will be good for a laugh and he can take home the planter. I'd love to have one of your baby Mimosas to add to the planter if you can spare one. I'm fresh out, imagine that. If you can, would you please bring one up and slip it to me on the side so I can pot it up for the Big Boy? I'd be very appreciative. I've got some nice Purple Loosestrife and other delectably desirable goodies for you if that would get you to share with me for a good laugh.

Um, regarding that rather elaborate toothpick set up you've got there... what about baiting a HavAHart 1050 trap with some nice tuna and having Animal Control haul off Fluffy once you trap him. Much of Illinois has leash laws for cats.

It will be nice meeting you at the UMW RU. Really glad you're coming even if you don't share one of your precious (cough and gag) Mimosa seedlings.

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll be there. What twentysomething single male would pass up the opportunity...... to swap plants and tour a botanical garden with a bunch of women who smell like dirt. Just kidding, I am sure most people will only have potting soil on them and that is a sweet smell indeed. Equilibrium.... there might just be a baby mimosa hiding in the back seat. Maybe I'll find a bonsai pot and some gravel to make you a kitchen window bonsai that will get your spirits up each morning.

Awww, a baby Mimosa grown from seed for me! Mine mine mine! You sweetheart you! See you on Saturday!

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

As you read this an army of spring breakers are seeding your property with mimosa seeds simply to get the prize of one case of beer for their underage drinking pleasure. And you thought the tree was invasive w/o help!
j/k I might still bring one as a subject to debate over. It just might last two hours if I watch it closely.

Oh my word, have you been in my dreams or what! You just described my nightmare, "an army of spring breakers are seeding your property with mimosa seeds simply to get the prize of one case of beer for their underage drinking pleasure."

You're too good to me! Thanks for the baby, I'll know just what to do with it ;)

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Equil, don't you have to have a permit or something for dynamite?

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Sure.... dynamite the planting... with the amount of seeds the hooligans have planted by now.. you will be helping the cause....... a forest of mimosa.... a beautiful thing indeed.

No no, the seedling is down in one of those garbage can thingy's they use. Then she hollers Fire in the hole!

Shhhhhhh someone.... Mike's coming to the Upper Midwest RU this Saturday. If we're really careful, he'll never notice the slightly bitter taste in his water. When he konks out on the ground asleep, we've got plans to spritz his Mimosa with the happy juice. When Sleeping Beauty wakes up, he'll never suspect a thing. Now this is a secret between you and me so don't let him know, ok.

Uh yea. Roger that. Over and out (in more ways than one!)

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I have a monopoly on digitalis, it's all growing near my pond... and their are more dangerous plants than that... the hemlock is off limits. But I will still look for the single purple flower of a Queen Anne's Lace and enjoy the Root. I drink what I buy... and I will drink what I bring. :) Mullein can make you pass out too, but if I see Eq. has Mullein I will avoid her at all costs. My Mimosa will be locked in the oven that is my car..... if it survives that torture then it deserves to live.

Ummm, Queen Anne's Lace is white. Nice try buddy!

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice try indeed, but in the center of each flower is a small, purple flower. This sets it apart from hemlock.

I must be blinder than I think I am-
http://images.google.com/images?q=Queen+ANne%27s+lace&hl=en

There's no purple flower in QAL! You aren't blind.

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

That link has a picture of what I was talking about, and if you click it this except was taken from the link you gave EQ :)

"Have you ever noticed the tiny purplish-black floweret in the center of the otherwise white flower? The black floweret is sterile and will not produce seed. It is not known why nature put it there, perhaps to attract pollinators."

I knew I wasn't crazy I used to eat wild carrots when I was younger.

No, you're still crazy :o)

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Point made.

Oh yoo who.....

Another description, "The flowers themselves are very small, but from their whiteness and number, present a very conspicuous appearance. The central flower of each umbel is often purple." Note the word often... not always. The presence of the tiny purple center could very well be an adaptive trait. After all, Viola has landing strips for all practical purposes.

Evidently there is some variation among the species and we're talking the center of the umble not the flower anyway. So I am not totally blind in having missed a tiny purplish-black floweret on the Queen Anne's Lace present in my neck of the woods. I went out and took a look at a few around here and there be no purple present and I had my trusty magnifying glass with me.

With a center umbel of purple-
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/108782/

Without a center umbel of purple-
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/86269/

So, there! Mike! Are you trying to make me feel old and blind?

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Did I fail? j/k
The one's where I first was taught which weeds were what all had them :)
Hasty generalization on my part.
(You did get out the magnifying glass though) :P

No you didn't fail... Well, yes... I guess you did fail. I set you up to be able to nail me and you didn't even bite. What's this world coming to?

The Queen Anne's Lace in my neck of the woods is not "normal". Most do have a central flower that is purple. Like over 95%. Your weed teacher was good. It's ok to generalize.

How is your rose?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I think the two of you need more sleep!
11:30 PM, 3:09 AM, 5:54 AM --
What's the matter with you anyway? Are you Vampires, or have you just been sucking too much on Queen Anne's Lace??

And how was the round-up?

Guy S.

I got home and fell asleep until about half past 11pm. The puppy woke me up so I got up to let it out. Then since I had fallen asleep at 8pm last night, I stayed up when I got up to let it out again at just before 6am. 10 hours is a lot of sleep for me. Too much actually. I suspect sleeping beauty is still in bed right now as I don't think he went to sleep until 3am. Poor guy, he had a longer drive than me to get home.

The RU went very well. It was my first and it was Mike's first. We both went home with boatloads of plants and gifts. Guy, you have got to come next year. We had a blast.

Speaking of which, you don't by any chance know which Pseudotsuga this is do you? I don't think it is straight species Pseudotsuga menziesii.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, it appears to be the Rocky Mountain form/variety. There are only three in North America (excluding Mexico) and it's not either of the other two.

Guy S.

Ugh, I knew it was different. The form, the color, and the cones. Anyone able to give me a binomial on this?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

It will look more "normal" as the growth matures.
Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca

Guy S.

Are you sure?

Here's another photo. Look at the new growth-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I do see some faint speckles now -- maybe scale insects!
;-)

If it's a cultivar, I'm deferring to our resident coniferites. I thought you were asking which species/variety it was.

Guy S.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
The RU went very well. It was my first and it was Mike's first. We both went home with boatloads of plants and gifts. Guy, you have got to come next year. We had a blast.

Yeah, give me some advance warning next year and maybe I can share gas with Mike since he lives only about 45 minutes south of here. How many were there from the T&S forum?

Guy S.

Quoting:
I do see some faint speckles now -- maybe scale insects!
Forgive me but I thought the same thing until I realized it had been raining for a while. The speckles you and I were both seeing were actually raindrips.

Oh man, I am so sorry. Don't you ever go over to the Upper Midwest Forums? I feel horrible. Yes, I'll get a hold of you next year. You would really have had a good time.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

You didn't tell me yet how many T&S folks were there, and which ones?

No, I spend cyber-time nowhere but here. I have an ironclad rule to avoid spending too much time sitting here when there's work to be done.

Speaking of which . . .

Just me and mikekilhoffer were there from T&S but there were others who stop in from time to time to post.

Wauconda, IL

I've seen that one tiny purple flower in every QAL I've ever looked at. Or maybe I have something in my eye everytime I look at them......

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Sleeping beauty has awoken!
StarHill, you should have been there! The gardens were beautiful, if ineptly labeled. I would gladly split the cost of gas. If next year comes and you have the time.... You are welcome to ride with me or vice versa. I grabbed what I had room for. Had I a truck, I might have optred for the larger flowers that were pushed upon me in the end. BTW, we have a wonderful garden here in Springfield. called the Lincoln Memorial Gardens that is smaller than the Janesville garden, that could fall into UMW Roundup 2/3 :)

It lives! Was wondering when you were going to roll over and figure out that half the day was already gone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.