starting seeds

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask these questions but couldn't find anywhere else that seemed logical. I am a very novice gardner and am trying to start my flowers from seed this year. Some of the seeds are so small it's really difficult to handle them. I've seen a device on Gardner's Supply for $24.95 and it's called the English Precision Seeder. Is anyone familiar with this device and is it worth the price? I'd be willing to invest in it if you think it's worth it. If not, how the dickens do you manage to plant lobelia seeds for example? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Betty

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Betty, if you don't get a response here, try the Propogation forum. You might get more hits there http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/propagation/ Good luck! --Ginny

somewhere, PA

A cheaper way might be to mix the little seeds with sand and then use a salt shaker.
I just put them on the soil as sparingly as possible and then divide up the seedlings when
they are an inch or two tall. For lobelia - this means taking small groups of seedlings and
increasing their spacing (not individually). So you get clumps spaced a few inches apart.

Tam

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

for those very small seeds I use a toothpick. (popsicle stick works too) put the seeds out onto a saucer, dip the wide end into a little water, (wipe off any drops), set the pick on the seed you want to plant. the 'damp' picks up the seed so you can rub the seed off on to the soil. It's tedious, but does work, saves thinning later

Sue

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I use tweezers for the little seeds--they have some tweezers for sergers (a type of sewing machine--originally used to thread the threads) that are shaped "just right" for the job--in my opinion.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I just put the seeds in a saucer and mash my fingertip in the edge of the seed pile...you get just a few stuck to your finger...brush off what you don't need and brush the rest into your potting medium...most tiny seeds don't even need to be covered, just firm the soil with your finger and mist the top.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.