Persian Shield - care?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone. Finally found a Persian Shield - I just love the leaves. When I got it it has a split top with leaves and little leaf buds going down the stem. That was 1-2 months ago...it doesn't seem to be doing any thing. Buds on sides are still green but remain teeny-tiny. I keep it in my bathroom by a northern window - thus getting humidity and filtered light. I just transferred it up a pot size - good healthy root system....maybe a tad root bound. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thumbnail by Chantell
Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, maybe try more light.... I've never had much luck with this one as a houseplant. I overwinter mine indoors and my goal is just to keep it alive not thriving. It really takes off when it gets back outside. It seems to need quite a bit of light (but not direct sun) and it HATES cold.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

... agree with PM. Too, your plant is genetically programmed to rest during the long night months. Expect it to show a more lively nature as the vernal equinox approaches, and as PM mentioned, look for it to begin growing in earnest when you're able to move it outdoors. Resist the urge to fertilize now; instead, wait until it begins its spring push. Since you've potted-up, be extra careful about letting it sit in saturated soil. It should go quite dry between good soakings.

Good luck.

Al

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks to you both!! Glad someone else has heard of the plant...when I mention it I normally get that "deer in the headlights" look from the person I'm speaking to...even "plant people." LOL I'll quit fussing with it...now that I think about it...everything that I don't "fuss with" thrives...geez, ya think I'd learn by now. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.