when....do you cut the spider babies.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

For the overall, looks and health of the plant. When do you cut spider plant babies off of the mother plant. Mine has alot that have been on there a LONG time :)

charlotte

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

that's a good question, I'd be curious to see what everyone else's experience is. I leave them unless they are looking ratty or I want to grow more plants.

Anita

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I find they will stay on the plant as long as you wish to leave them. My plant at work has produced seeds too.

At my local nursery the plantlets enjoy the humid atmosphere and often produce long roots.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Guayanilla, PR(Zone 11)

Dear Spider people . . . If your plants are in high humidity, all the pups will have areal roots. Cut off at any time a repot for new plants. For hanging baskets its best to plant 4 or 5 per basket to get a full basket. If you parent plant is growing in a dry location then few pups will have roots. Hang it in shady location, water more frequently. You could enen sit the basket in a tray of shallow water and humidity will rise to encourage pups to root! . . . . . Logos

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you...my "pups" do have alot of roots... I just wondered if I should ever cut them off.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

You can cut them off if you want, but it won't hurt the mother plant to leave them on. I cut them off some of my spider plants and leave lots on others because some varieties of spiders look better with loads of babies than others. For example, I tend to leave just a few on my dark green spiders, but I let my white & light green variegated plants keep lots of wee ones because I like how they look. It all depends on preference :) Just be sure to keep the plant watered because the more babies there are, the more water everyone needs.

Generally, spider plants start growing more pups when the plant is close to pot-bound. Spiders are one of the few plants that actually seem to having their roots squished into a pot. If you want to keep them from sending out new ones, you might want to consider repotting it or splitting it into a few pots. And if you want to pot up some of the babies and they don't have loads of roots on them already, put them into a cup of water for a few days to let them grow a bit more. All I know for sure is that spiders are one of the very toughest plants to kill or irritate, which is so nice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.