Winter sowing Poppies

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I absolutely love California poppies - they are such happy flowers. I w/s'd mine the first weekend of January [I had this in the container thread, but thought I would bring it out into it's own]. Now they have sprouted. I've heard quite abit on how they are tempermental to transplanting.

I found this on the HGTV site...

>>Transplanting poppies is a little different. Choose seedlings that have their first set of true leaves but are still quite small. Gently lift the seedlings apart, being careful not to damage the roots. Then poke a hole about the size of a root ball in the soil. Gently place the seedling in the hole, holding the leaves above the soil surface. Make sure the stem is completely covered up to the first set of leaves, to anchor the seedling and maximize contact with the soil.

Any experience with these? Sheila, sorry for duplication. I thought other might see it in it's own thread and find it interesting.

Anita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm... I think that describes the way I transplant most things!

"Clump transplanting" is said to be a useful technique with other persnickity plants.... Tom DeBaggio advises it for dill & others... Basically it's the same as the above, except you separate the plants into clumps of 3 to 5... Take whatever number breaks away; it defeats the purpose to prick apart individual plants and then gather them into clumps. Planting the seedlings deeper than they were growing, up to the first set of true leaves, helps stabilize them (and many plants will grow additional roots along the buried portion of the stem). I clump-transplant into cell packs or 2 inch pots, then transplant into the garden when the cell or pot has been filled with roots... Although I've never done this with CA poppies, I've used this technique with other seedlings that are said to be tempermental about transplanting, and it works fine. It also helps give a more immediate full appearance to the plant, so I like to clump transplant basil, lobelia, alyssum, etc.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I will definitely try that with Dill - thanks Jill!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I love poppies, too, and would love to wintersow--do you think I'm too late for this year?

Thanks for all the good tips! t.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I think you are safe in your zone - it's cooler than mine. I would go for it. If you are worried, you could always save some and direct sow them.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You should be fine for wintersowing for a while. Afterall, the groundhog saw his shadow today, so it's 6 more weeks of Winter!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Shirley - you asked me this in the container thread:

Anita,

Are you "pricking out" the Poppy seedlings that are the largest/most developed to transplant into your garden? My Poppies haven't set their 1st set of "true" leaves either.

My answer - if they have true leaves I will, but I think I might try critter's suggestion

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

I wintersowed several varieties of Poppies last winter and they did fantastic. I transplanted them out via the hunk of seedling method. Most of my poppies were not transplanted until late May. Some had more than their second set of true leaves. It was my first time ever having poppies and I could not believe that by the end of July one section of the poppies was about 3 and 1/2 feet and I counted 75 buds. They all bloomed it was glorious. When they finished and the foliage got nasty I ripped them completely out. Because with ws I know I can do lots more this year.

Tabasco,
You are not late in ws poppies. They do sprout quickly and if are heavy handed with the seeding before long your container will be completely green. I have 7 more varieties to try this year and I plan to do those next week.
HTH
Michelle

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

you have just made my day Michelle!!!

Wichita, KS

Last year, I wintersewed mine in newspaper pots. That worked great.
I used a bulb planter for the hole, gently took bottom off of newspaper pot and just plopped it in.

This is the red peony poppies:

Thumbnail by nut4spuds
Wichita, KS

Here is a pic of the Double Shirley Poppies that I wintersewed last season:

Thumbnail by nut4spuds
St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Anita,
I am so glad that I made your day! I will wish you lots of sprouts for your poppies and easy transition to your gardens!

Michelle

Glorius looking poppies! I started my wsowing poppies this morning. Planted 'French Flounce' poppies from Renee's seeds.

I am so excited! Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

p.s. What's a newspaper pot?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw a newspaper pot maker somewhere... in one of my gazillion seed and plant catalogs.

Beautiful pictures, nut4spuds! Love those Double Shirley Poppies....gee, I wonder why???....Like your "plop & drop" method of planting your seedlings! It obviously worked great!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I like the paper pot idea....then I could just plant the whole thing and not worry about the root at all! I have a soap stone pot maker too...I was going to use in the spring when I started rooting cuttings..

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

absolutely love those red peony poppies, nut4spuds

Homer, NY(Zone 5a)

Nut4spuds,

Just curious: About how many seeds did you put in each paper pot? I have one of those paper pot makers, and have never used it! It just may be time to "break it out!"

Wichita, KS

Paper Pots
http://www.ehow.com/how_1745_create-seed-starting.html
http://www.smokytopia.com/paperpots/paperpots.htm
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/newspaperpots.htm

sometimes I even use toilet paper rolls that I have closed bottom up w/newspaper

"Borrowed" some blocks out of the kid's toybox and taped them together.
I used this to tap the dirt down.

hilomark
I tried to use about 10 seeds. I sprinkled them on top of soil and then sprinkled colored sand on top.
This was to help keep seeds in place and also to let me know that I already planted seeds so that I wouldn't double up.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2006 6:02 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow nut that is a wonderful idea!! Love it!! Thanks so much for sharing it.. it is learning about simple things like this that make Daves worth it's cyber weight in GOLD!!

So, does someone have a list of plants besides poppies that don't enjoy being transplanted?

Susan

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I hear Dill falls into that category

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

some poppies started in Oct.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Since my poppies are sprouting in their containers - I thought I would try some direct sowing. We are expecting up to 15" of snow - I figured they would be nice cozy under all that.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I thought larkspur didn't take kindly to transplanting...?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I had some left over poppy seed and decided to also direct sow them. I picked a spot on Saturday morning, so they would be covered by all the snow from the weekend. I figured this might be a good test to see which works best.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I also found this...
I had good luck with Poppies last spring too. If you didn't pull yours up until after they had produced seed and haven't mulched the ground where they were last year, they might come back. Most people sprinkle Poppy seeds and other cool season annuals like Bachelor Buttons directly in the garden in late fall. But, Poppies are among the easiest seeds to WinterSow and that is how I started mine last year. If you didn't save Poppy seeds from last year, order them now (or trade for some on the GW Seed Exchange), because they need to be planted while it's still cold - like now. Poppies don't like to be transplanted, so if you do start them in containers, don't attempt to separate out individual seedlings, but just break apart the clump into pieces about the size of a nickel and get them in the ground while they're still small. If you sow them in 4-inch square containers, you should get at least 16 clumps from each.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmmmmmm, so which is it? Can/should poppies be moved after they have put on their true leaves or not? I saw a gardening show where they featured a poppie grower in California and she had them in cellpacks just like any other plants, so there must be away to get them into the garden after wintersowing with out harm to them right? i started making all those newspaper pots, and i still have them, so it woudln't hurt to use the ones i ahve, but i started to realize how labor intensive it was and after reading here, i though I woudl just do them in my large pots i am wintersowing in... ?

Susan

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

That sounds like a good idea Susan - then you don't need to move them at all

I've read that "hunks" of wintersown Poppies transplanted into your garden will work just fine. If it were warmer out this weekend, I'd start transplanting them & marking the spot were I put them into my garden. Bet they probably would even bloom earlier....whatcha think?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'll check the ground, but I think if froze up again - it's in the 20's here

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

20s? That's warm!!!! LOL

7° here at the moment.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

brrrrr. Please don't send it this way..

Hey--Anitabryk-- was just over at the GW wintersowing forum looking up seed starting info and saw your 'name'... lot's of chat about wintersowing over there...did you get the quote about transplanting poppies from there or trudi's site? Lot's of good info and tips there. Trudi d. has done a lot of research....

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I got it from GW - but it wasn't the w/s forum. I googled it and found it in the Tennessee forum over there. You have to scroll down a bit, but here is the link http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tngard/msg1219461013667.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.