A glitch in my seed starting plans...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I decided to attempt growing plants from seeds this year. I do not have a good track record with this, but it would be a whole lot more economical, etc.. So I read a bunch of threads in here and in other forums about seed starting and I did a bunch of research and ordered some seeds and bought 50 plant trays on eBay and my wonderful DH bought some good seed starting soil stuff for me and I figured out where I'm going to put them and I'm getting excited about starting....

And I just realized that the trays don't have covers. Will Saran wrap do, or is that too clumsy? Any ideas or advice??

~ Marylyn

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, I'm using dollar store turkey roasters inside turkey roast bags. I put clothes pins around the side to hold up the plastic bag. It's been raining quite a bit today and so far all seems to be holding up. Pulled bottom of bag up over end of pan and duct taped, then small piece of duct tape on top of bag to hold closed.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Katy! That's an excellent idea! :-)
~ Marylyn

Homer, NY(Zone 5a)

Marylyn, I always use plastic wrap on top of my flats while they are germinating...I germinate them in front of the old cast iron hot water baseboards my house has... not touching the heaters, but close, on the nice, warm floor...As soon as I see sprouts, off comes the plastic wrap, and the trays go down to the basement under flourescent lights.

I have great success, unless my Lab mix, Bonny, decides to bury her dog biscuits in the flats when they are on the ground!

Good luck!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOLOL! Well, I don't have a dog, so I should be safe from biscuits. I'm very glad to hear that plastic wrap should work. :-) Thank you SO much!!

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Marylyn,
I use Saran wrap all the time. It is an inexpensive but very reliable way to cover your flats. Once most of the seeds have germinated, remove the plastic wrap. Keep them moist with a mister. Good luck!

Ironsides

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Excellent. Thank you!!! :-) I'm going to start them today.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Marylyn--I never cover any of my seed trays whether its outside wintersowing or inside under lights--we are so humid its just not necessary and I been doing it for years!

I top water outside stuff--bottom water underlights stuff.

Here's my winter sowing this year:

Thumbnail by dmj1218
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a bit more outside.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Not fair dmj1218, ! I don't even have a peep of green yet! LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Impressive start to the year dmj! BUT, like on some other posts this morning, you all are making me whine my most favorite song. Why, why and why do I live in Ohio??? LOL

somewhere, PA

Just remember - they have to chill their tulips down in that Texan climate of theirs.
Yep - they really have to pay for that warm weather, yessiree!
(trying not to whine too)
Tam

Hialeah, FL(Zone 10b)

You might want to take a look at some threads in the tomato forums; that explains how to soak them. I plan on doing that to my next batch of pepper/tomato seeds. That might a bit to complicated for you though (not saying you are no capable) since you don't have any experience at all.

Remember, to post pics!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some experience, Flaks, just not any good ones. LOL I'll look for the threads. Thank you very much!! :-)

We had stuff going on all last week and then company all weekend, so I STILL haven't planted the seeds. Ahhh! Hopefully I will get them done tonight (after I take a nap!) I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you for all of your advice!! :-)

~ Marylyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.