Sweet Shrub

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Need help with rooting sweet shrub from cuttings. Thanks Jim

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 10th 5:14 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you mean Sweet Spire Jim?

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Calycanthus floridus. Sweet shrub or sweet bubby. It blooms in spring with sweet smelling blooms. I call them pods instead of blooms but I guess they are blooms.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

somebody help him, cause he needs a piece for ME!!!! :)

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Bonnie , I have you one in a pot that I got from the root and found three more babies that I probable will move to somewhere in my yard. I was wanting to know about the rooting from cuttings so I could start them and share with all the other members that wanted them. Don't they smell good. Bonnie did your datura that I gave you ever bloom? Jim

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

My first one has 4 tiny little blossoms on it, so when it does it, it will do it right:)
I've never grown a sweet shrub, but I've smelled them, and they are like heaven. my DH has talked and talked about getting one, but we've never seen them in nurseries here. I'd be happy with a cutting, that is one of the things I still have left on my 'to get' list. Of course y'all come up with new stuff everyday, and my list is getting pretty long:)

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 10th 5:32 PM

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I've never seen them either in nurseries. I had 5 at one time that was given to me. I have given many away from rootings. I moved them from shade to the sun a couple years ago and almost killed them. I had one that I had moved to the shade and it did fine This year one of the dead ones put out and is about a foot tall now. Still in the sun. The one in the shade has prospered.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Jim,
I do the by the water spigot trick with these and have had good luck.I use cuttings long enough to stick 5-6 inches in the ground and about as much out of ground.. Remove all leaves except top 2 or so. I Place them beside the water spigot that I have in partial shade and keep damp..This has worked for me with many shrubby plants.. Roses, forsythia, Spirea,Sweet Shrub and others..By the spigot, I don't forget to keep damp..It's one I use several times daily watering plants and the goats & dogs..LOL
Larkie

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Larkie, I'll give that a try. Jim

(Zone 9a)

Jim
Please remember me this Fall if you get any to root. That one is on my 'must have' list too! I have a few goodies I can offer for trade.
Paula

Has anyone got an empty seed pod from this? Don't know when they ripen or whether they stay on the plant, but anyway I'm trying to get hold of one. Can trade a surprise pack of 4 types of seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.