Confessions Part II: What lilies have you planted for 2006?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

In my garden it seems like if their favorites are'nt in flower, they'll go on to other things, like hyacinth bean and cleome. But they always go for the reds, oranges, and hot,reddish pinks first. I even saw the puzzled investigation of my red caladiums. The last 2 years they've nested in the trees in the gardens. I was told they use the fuz from the new growth of cinnamon fern for their nests, and do have some planted in the garden below (and growing wild in the woods just outside the yard).

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

"Lily fanatics gone Wild"

Is that out on video?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thankyou! for some very good lily prospects for the HB/BF garden-- and interesting observation about the Cinnamon Fern, too, and the Dog Blanket! (I am definitely going to try a version of that!) LOL

I google-ed around and found a reference to a Species Lily that was especially liked by BFs called 'Oriental Lily (Lilium speciosum)' also a reference to 'Tiger Lily'.

Do you think these posts are referring to Lilies such as those pictured in the Species Lily Site? http://www.lilies.org/slpg.html I think these are beautiful!

Some sites mentioned 'Lily of the Nile', 'Ginger Lily', 'Toad Lily', and 'Daylily' (daylily in the Southwest) as attractants but they are entirely different from what we are discussing above, I think.

I planted Orientals and Asiatics in the autumn, but I don't think they are orange or red enough.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My hummers go for my citrina daylilies, lambs' ears, and even blue delphineums! They can't be choosy here.

Thumbnail by boojum

I've never seen them in the Canada Lilies which are natives.

Thumbnail by boojum
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Seems like once they start coming, they keep checking it out and will choose among what's blooming. I did have one visit a delphinium to.

The species lilies are a varied and wonderful world of their own, native to so many parts of the world. I would love more North American lilies. I lucked in to 2 that look very like the one pictured. They were growing on a friend's house site and had to be rescued. A lovely, airy lily and a friend of mine got a pic on his phone of a hummer visiting it.

Lilium speciosum 'rubrum' is not only a graceful and reliable garden lily, but it's the genetic source where most Orientals get their fragrance-very thick and heady. For me they bloom up in August and I love extending the lily season.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Lilium speciosum var. rubrum

Pic from Pacific Rim Species 12.00 Can. American Meadows has this advertised as Red Lily of Japan. The website says the 50% sale is still on.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thankyou. That sounds like a good deal at American Meadows. I like that 50% off, too! Rubrum is pretty (but not very red!).

Here is one they describe as one of the best butterfly magnets in the garden:

http://www.americanmeadows.com/bulb_detail.cfm?itemid=705

Does anyone grow this?

Booj--- beautiful pics-- I'm sure the BFs and HBs have lots of choices in your garden! Interesting about your Daylily pic since in my research it sounded like only the BFs and HBs in the Southwest like the hems. I love your Canada lilies. t.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 3 coming from buggycrazy, I can't wait to see those blooms!

Corte Madera, CA

oh, i got it all wrong! on the other hand, i love to entertain. LOVE TO COOK and POUR DRINKS. love to eat and drink as well.

gee, my subscription is up in a couple of hours. if i don't renew right away, you know i'm trying to get used to back to WORK mindset. i don't want to be tempted to check on you all (LFGW) while i'm working away. lol.

not sure if i'm going for that. i'll be back, of course. here's my e-mail just in case. annapet@gmail.com

have a great week ahead! i'll miss you all during this temporary thing. you think i'll last a week without DG?

we'll see.

mwah!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Moby--YOU had the drink & ordered lilies--I only drank a Coke!

Let's see if I can untangle this order (6 participants...) Lily Society meetings can be sooo dangerous, but I added Tazzy & Linda_IA to the mess too.

Let's see, I ordered :

Lillium nepalense with llilyfan & anahi

Speckled Asiatics: Cappuccino, Dot Com, Halloween, Honey Bee, Starburst as the "Tango collection" with Tazzy & Linda & friend Teresa & anahi

Oriental: Scheherazade, Salmon Star , Hot Lips, Lovely Girl, Dizzy, with Moby and Linda_IA

Asiatic: Luxor, Tinos, Landini, Mount Duckling

Double Asiatic :Elodie, Sphinx , Fata Morgana with Tazzy

We also ordered elephant ears, caladiums and iris Ensata. I'm hoping everything will show up by March 15 as promised. And THEN I figure out where to put it all!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

When will I ever learn that drinking and lilies don't mix?? Oh, the shame of it all! ;)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

hic ... says who ? hic..
no problem here aslong as i can type credit card number in I'm tokey okie

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I thought you'd have quite the wonderful list! Now you know we'll have to see pics :)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

You mean if I don't hold a bunny buffet again this year? I ordered a BIG box of Plantskydd . As soon as it warms a bit, I'm going to pop out every morning & drown those new shoots!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh the lily lust continues. Buggycrazy has added some to her site, so I'm going to AGAIN have to add to my order. A lovely one called 'Zues' that has 'Tiger babies' in it's parentage and is said to have fragrance. Only $1 each! Also Coral Sunset, Starburst, and Tropical Dream, that I "need" anyway for my new bed of fruity colors.
Neal

What is the address for Buggycrazy's site? I buy a lot of bulbs from her on the LA. Love her variety.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic and description of Zues.
http://www.buggycrazy.builderspot.com/catalog/item/2868753/2441389.htm#image_1

Corte Madera, CA

speaking of drinking (hic)....part of my last week of freedom celebration, last monday (feb. 6), we spent the day in napa valley, wine-tasting, what else =). oak barrel planters range from $10-20, neal! is that good?

Myrtle Beach, SC

woo hoo...Pet, so glad to see you :)) Hoping to go to Costco tomorrow to see how many more bulbs I can buy, lol :)) God bless,
Margo

Corte Madera, CA

thanks, margo! you're so sweet. guess what - - - i think i'll go back to costco again. i just weeded around my 3 'about face' grandifloras and will plant lilies around them. i'm going for similar colors on this one.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Annapet, About Face is awsome! Those fruity colors are what I'm so in to right now. How did they perform for you? And what lilies are you combining with them? Oh, and yes, that is a good deal on the planters. The least I've seen them at Walmart or Lowes for was $19.99. What fun the wine tasting must have been!

Margo, and all of you who are planting lilies soon, how are you planning to combine your lovely new lilies to show them off? Here the lily show gets started in June for the most part with the Asiatics, and it coincides nicely with the first big flush of blooms from many of the roses. I'm looking for some really vigorous groundcover roses to grow around the ankles of my Orientals. They bloom when it's hot here and the roses are'nt very showy, unless it's some of the tough shrub roses. Can you tell I'm driven to see lilies with roses? I'm also thinking since they say lilies like their roots shaded, short roses would do the job nicely and give color till the lilies bloom.

Plotting and planning excitedly, Neal.

Corte Madera, CA

neal, AF turned out to be truly fabulous. my tree AFs are on their second year, but they gave me quite a show last summer, considering they were bareroots from J&P when i got them. i'm all excited. they are leafing out now, and this morning i sprayed them with neem oil and soap, just in case there are tiny unwanted insect eggs growing on them. just to be on the safe side.

since AFs grow to 5-6', i'm on the hunt for shorter lilies to plant around them. love "orange crush" to death, but too tall for the roses. i can go for the oranges, i just don't know lilies well yet. what would you recommend? thanks.

one of the brugs margo gave me is an ORANGE brug, and if i can grow that to a standard, i'll place it dead center of the triangle, and of course undplant it with lilies.

heaven, i'm in heaven....

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Neal, have you thought of dahlias around your lilies? I have mine amongst seed grown dahlia species, which grow to 5 ft tall and I leave them in the ground, they get shaded really well and with the single dahlias they look great.

I confess, I have bought only ONE new lily, Dazzler, and I have put them (2) in a pot for now. But I have grown some lilium philippinense from seed and have around 12 or 13 of those from last year, many still green in the greenhouse. Dazzler has been dazzling me, and they were reasonably priced from my local garden centre. These will all have to go in my new tropical bed which didn't get far last year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Annapet, you're putting the orange brug standard in the middle of 3 AF standards? Is the bed raised in the middle? You'd hate to see those brug blooms obscured by the roses. The brug in the middle of 3 bush forms would be awsome though, then you could put taller lilies between the roses and maybe some pixies in front of them. I love purple with orange shades, and was thinking something spiky would be a pretty contrast in forms to, like salvia or veronica.

wallaby, good idea about the dahlias. I've been looking at some of the purple leaved varieties; if I find a pink that would be perfect. Dazzler is a beauty! I really "need" that one or(and) Dizzy-love the stripe and dots.

Corte Madera, CA

arggggh! neal, so sorry. i can't spell. i meant THREE AF's. not tree...love your ideas. please keep them coming. thanks!

wallaby, hmnnn, might look into dahlias again. i planted a few last year and was pretty happy with them. thank you.

There is a bright pink with dark leaves, trying to remember it's name, and it is quite hardy. I have a D. Bishop's Children from seed that is a light pink, it is quite nice, and a deep maroon colour, they ended up together in another bed, where all the others were red and a double orange, and burnt yellow with a reddish ring, possibly croosed with Ring of Fire. The pink one overtook the maroon one last year, too close, have to move it.

Silly me! it si Dizzy, but is a dazzler...the pink one is Roxy.

My pink Bishop's Children (child)

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

dizzy is at costco. will plant a bunch of them around my white double brugs.

i'm so running out of time. tomorrow i have to shop for work clothes. what a bummer. i'd rather nursery hop. i have changed so much since i started gardening....i love the change!

You might have already seen a pic of the lily, dahlia combination, but just in case, here is one ..
(leaves on that pink dahlia are dark, they geen out a bit later in the season)

Thumbnail by wallaby1

if you like an orange and purple combo, this orangey Bishop's Children dahlia goes really well with a large deep blue lacecap hydrangea

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

awesome! thanks for the photos. i wish i can share some of mine, but not organized enough.

margo (and everyone growing tom pouce this season)....DISNEYLAND rose goes well with TP. since disneyland rose has a vivid composite of apricots, oranges, and pinks - - - together with TP, they make a handsome pair. i discovered this by accident....i was just piling away my potted up TPs next to my disneyland standard, and viola! then of course, there are many other combinations....LOL.

Moonglow (love the name), you are getting you priorities right! If all the world could garden it would be a different place, it is soul food. I should forget the work clothes, or make a quick snatch and grab, then run to the nursery on the hop!

Here is a pic of another white lacecap hydrangea, it flowers a long time, with lilium Marco Polo. It is with the dahlias, the ferny leaves there are one of the species, dahlia merckii, the pink flower in view

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

marco polo and lacecap hydrangea is a ROMANTIC combo. i didn't like pink before, but when i started gardening, it became another LOVE.

thanks...moonglow is one of my favorite daniel smith paints =). i started to garden hoping i'd have a haven to paint en plein air. now, work is getting in the way....sigh.

on the upside, i could use the money to buy more roses and lilies!

Moonglow - There are some stunning orange LAs. Here's a pic of Madrid. I have it planted with Tigerling daylily, also an orange.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch

and Swansea

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
Corte Madera, CA

beaker, thanks! madrid and swansea are both perfect matches. where did you get yours?

i'm checking TLG now and american meadows.

Swansea was at the Lily Nook. I bought Madrid from a local nursery, but I think I've seen it somewhere. I'll have to think about it.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wallaby, the hydrangeas and lilies are wonderful! Toss roses in the mix and then talk about a romantic combo! I started going nuts over hydrangeas last year, and how perfect they'll be with Orientals. Just the cottage garden effect I'm looking for. I think I'll start some dahlia from seed; I've been seeing an heirloom mix of dark colored ones available. Thanks!

Well would you know it! Already done that, if you look at the dahlia pic above with the lilies you can just see a Just Joey, the apricot rose, which is near the hydrangea!

It flowers repeatedly too.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.