winter sowing results

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Got this new camera I'm experimenting with....this shot is the back path. Contains native Columbine, stock, some asst. lettuces, dianthus, blackberry lily. Also some echinacea tenneseensis, pavonia lasopetela "rock rose", echinacea magnus, clemitis pitcherii, and some sort of dutchman's pipe (they are not up yet) for stratification.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Shamelessly posting more pics--but you guys DID ask for them! lol. I also, as you can see, have this collection of very large pots I use in the front yard.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

If you start with the pot on the far left (moving from left to right) we have: stocks, larkspur, red mixed single and double poppies, more stocks (I love them), more stocks, stocks again, white poppies, and snapdragons. To the far right you can spot my very messy garage and my plant lights with tomatoes and peppers started. lol

here's another shot of the above "line of huge pots".

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Oh my! That one shows even more of my very messy garage!

Here's the larkspur up close.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

One last shot of my front yard winter sowing without the visual pollution of my messy garage!

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

excellent progress - did you know that we now have our own wintersowing forum??? Come on over!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Where is the wintersowing forum? i just learned all about this last night and I found this link today http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/index.html.

I'm really excited about doing this and I thought I would post about it, but it looks like others are doing this too! How cool :)

Debbie, did you ahve those covered and uncover them when the temps got high enough? i am thinking of cutting the largest size pots that a nursery around here throws out and cuttung them down and doign the same thing you are doing. Did you have to water very often before germination?

Thanks

Susan

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here ya go Susan - welcome aboard!! http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/coldsow/all/

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!! HA Anita!! I haven't stopped reading ALL DAY LONG!! :)) I've read everything in that forum by now!

Time to go feed my family :)

Susan

I never put tops on--and I watered when they were dry--they all have drainage.

I knew there was a winter sowing forum but I guess I was having a "senior" moment--despite the fact I'm only 48--and posted here thinking I was posting there.....kinda scary!
Debbie

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Well Debbie, I'm so glad you did or else the lost like me would have never known!! :) Since yesterday, I have avidly resumed seed purchase planning... Before I knew about this, I was at a loss to explain how I was going to do it all!! :)

Susan

Suasan--
Be VERY AWARE! Seed purchasing can be addicting! LOL
Debbie

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I, Susan, am a seed addict!
Thanks for the warning.. I'm afraid it's too late!! :) i can grow everything that nobody else will have around here!! :)) And lots of it too. There is no stopping me!! :)

Susan

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

it's a sickness.....

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

for me, it's a pure happiness :) !!

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.