What happened to our W*I*N*T*E*R Canada???

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Now now blow your nose and let us see your pretty smile again.

http://www.kleenex.com/us/products/soft/L_upright.asp (picked out the lotion variety too.....your weather's gonna get drier;)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

You girls are funny. Our temps were 8° here today and the ☼ was shining ever so nicely. Several trips outside for me, and hated to come back in. First time I wore my winter coat and was too warm. After that it was a spring coat with a sweater vest underneath. Plenty warm enough.

I'm concerned about my plants too, but it's out of my hands so will just enjoy and hope for the best.

Joan

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yep

but Ginny can continue wishing hers elsewhere (i.e. here :^)))

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

sniff.....phfffffffffffffffff.....sniff.....thank you Pam.....ooooooooooh - that is soft.....I feel better already.....(hands folded and head demurely lowered) Please God send Pam all the snow!

(Pic titled Big Smile from http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/South_America/Peru/photo233847.htm )

Thumbnail by ginnylynn

We have been very fortunate, right here in the center of Canada. Nice mild temps for weeks, but still enough snow to blanket all my perennials and bulbs. Most of my beds are still not frozen under the snow cover.

I don't think you will lose too many plants Pam, unless you are zone pushing a lot. Especially if they are established. Did you cover anything with leaves or anything? It's the thawing and heaving that is so bad. If you can prevent that, should be OK.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I was just commenting to gardening friends today about the lack of winter across Canada. Even we have not a flake of snow around St. John's. I'm waiting for the axe to fall! All this coming week it is suppose to be above freezing and Weathernow's 14 day prediction does not show any significant snow for us...I'm loving it! We'll probably get dumped upon in Feb. but at least we have 2 months of winter behind us.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ginny Ü and I want that frog!!!

Brenda DH mulched while I was emptying the ponds, that's prolly why I feel a bit antsy....I didn't think to look at his work (I was worried about defrosting my fingers and toes ;). There's a few new roses and 5 butterfly bushes. I'll just have to trust that it *was* done.

Todd I'm really amazed you didn't get snow yet........the weather channel recently showed a nice sized system heading in your direction. Your glee I can understand. ;)

This message was edited Jan 13, 2006 1:11 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

They got snow in central Newfoundland. We got a skim yesterday but then the temp shot up to plus 7 and it went again. Suppose to be 6-8 C tomorrow and Sunday...that might take the frost out of the ground. Snowdrops should be up any time now! LOL!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Zone envy here................. but as much as I'd like a little more cover it sure doesn't extend to NF snow envy. ;)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

ginnylynn - do you get snow dumped off Lake Huron like buffalo does off Lake Erie? (I grew up near Rochester and am familiar with the NYS snow belt from the lakes.) IMHO, Ottawa could, in general, use a bit more snow than we get, but so far this January we've had quite a lot. It has been a bit too mild that last couple of days, but is supposed to get cold again on the weekend.

Ann

Belwood, ON(Zone 5a)

Winter is back today, cold temps but still just a dusting of snow, very cold cold wind too so I'm just going to hold my breathe and hope my plants are ok. I'll be blue by spring I'm sure!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Sounds like you and I get the same weather sunkeeper. We could hear the wind howling all morning around our house. Thanks heavens we aren't getting heavy snowfall at the same time. Just a dusting here too.

Ann, yes we do get off-lake flurry activity here in Blyth, but not as bad as some who are closer to the lake (we're about 20 minutes east by northeast away), such as Goderich and Kincardine.

By Tuesday we're supposed to be back up to highs of 10C. What a rollercoaster!

--Ginny

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

After reading your reply Ginny I feel much better (re: my request for your snow).

Sunkeeper I really hope you've taken a breath or two since your last post. :)

Eastern Canada does look a bit chillier today.....throw a few logs on the fire and find a good book.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Too strange.......

Moose Jaw Weather
at: 4:00 pm CST
Currently:
47° F

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Temps here have been around or above freezing and reading the weather sectiion of the paper this morning there was a reminder that this time last year daytime temp was -19 and nite was -32C. Would actully prefer not to be reminded!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

There's an interesting article about England in the Globe and Mail today. The Gulf Stream is changing and they are predicting colder weather there (drop of 5°C)......it will put them into another little ice age (1600's to 1800's was the last time). It then talked about the giant water chimneys that are found in the ocean off Greenland, they are the powerhouse for the Gulf Stream. Not too long ago there used to be 9 to 12 and they pulled the cold surface water down to the floor of the ocean......now there are only 2 and they aren't reaching the bottom. (Sec F4/F5)

We are now under a winter storm warning (bottom edge).....Saskatoon and the Battlefords may get 20 cm of snow.

Fancy I never want to visit the temps of the last two years again. ;)

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 12:06 PM

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Hang on to your hats...........we, here, almost came close to ????? rain in ????? . Two days of sunshine and ????? Elaine

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL Congatulations Elaine (I think;)

we had pouring rain yesterday morning (I didn't want that Todd;) and then LOTS OF SNOW (thank you Ginny:)

Unfortunately for Ginny it'll be heading her way.......but sunkeeper, Joan and ViolaAnn can rejoice!!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yesterday morning........

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Today.........look quickly before he's gone

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

too late

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Love that bunny Pam! I haven't seen any this season in my yard at all. Could be the presence of cats I suppose.

I hope you sent that snow postage paid or I won't accept it! LOL Like that'll make any difference.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

double post

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 1:02 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:) Glad your taking it so well Ginny. :)

The local wildlife are tickled pink that they now blend in with their surroundings.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 1:02 PM

Belwood, ON(Zone 5a)

The forecast today? Hours and hours of freezing rain, that should just about do the garden right in. Come on Mother Nature, be nice!

What in the world is going on with the weather?

Sunkeeper

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Beats me. They're calling for about 3 hours of freezing rain here once it starts, followed by rain. Then it's supposed to cool off again this evening and turn to snow. Then for the next few days, daytime highs hovering between 1C and 2C. Bizarre!

--Ginny

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I was hoping all of you would be too cold for that rain. :(

If anyone wants a printed copy of the above Globe and Mail article I could dmail it to you...it may not be the answer but it sure captured peeps attention.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It's been reported that out of the last 14 winters here 10 of them have broken records for the warmest ever.......this one wins hands down I'm pretty sure.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Lilypon,

I'd be interested in reading that Globe and Mail article about England when you have a minute. Thanks!

Sandy
Hunkering in for another bout of freezing rain on the way

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Well, we had the freezing rain here yesterday. It started in London at about 11:00 am and continued until about 3:00 pm or so, then turned to rain. When I got up at 4:00 am this morning (in Blyth) it had just started snowing, but temps are milder. Forecast is for 2 - 4 cm accumulation today. So far the original weather forecasts have been bang on.

--Ginny

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I won't say what it is doing here in Victoria today. Suffice to say went to check out a garden today, slipped and fell - mucho mud - Saw first iris today in a front garden. Had to stop and take a picture. Iris in JANUARY .... wow.

Daffs. bluebells - that everyone hates in their gardens - poking their noses through. Snowdrops in full bloom. Growth on iris. Calendula blooming, a few other things - need Echoes to ID them.

Millions of VW buses and a ton of smart cars. Too much rain though. All you RUers - went and fed seals/boufht supper at Fishermans Wharf today.
Inanda

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh Inanda what a wonderful picture you just put in my mind

Quoting:
went and fed seals/bought supper at Fishermans Wharf today.
I can see it just like it happened yesterday. :)

Sounds wonderful there.......I know it's finally spring here when the above start blooming in my back yard.

Hope you ladies down east are staying inside.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Jeesh, the driveway was like a skating rink today! On his way to Toronto, DH was stuck (dead stop) on the 401 for 5 hours due to a bad accident.

Sandy

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

This was one of the gloomiest days of this winter, so far.

Grey and drizzling, raining, snowing. blah!

Just knew you wanted to hear about that. LOL

Joan

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Where does your weather go Joan? Will any of the others here get it?

Our temps are supposed to drop down to -12 tomorrow. That I can live with (I sure don't want any more rain).

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Looks like more of the same is headed our way Joan....it truly was a rotten day indeed! Sure is a very weird winter. Right now we have some high winds and that combined with the airplanes will make for a restless nights sleep. Did ya know that 747 airplanes actually cross my street when coming in for a landing and you can see "heads" in the windows.....too close for comfort sometimes,lol.

Sandy I can't believe that your DH sat in traffic for that long!!!!! I would've gone off my head.

Brrrrrr,
Erynne

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just saw the weather channel..the East has my sympathy! I *might* have seen the accident your husband was held up by Sandy ...... I can't imagine a 5 hour wait.

Erynne that is toooooooooooooooo close for comfort. :S

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Our weather mostly moves northeastward from my neck of the woods - about 2 hours west of Joan. We ended up with much more snow yesterday than was forecasted - about 4 inches I think. Also had to deal with high winds and drifting and blowing snow (read white outs) on the way home yesterday up highway 4.

Now today is supposed to be sunny and a high of 3. Tomorrow - rain and a high of 8. Saturday - snow and a high of 3. Go figure!

--Ginny

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Our weather heads in a general Easterly direction Pam. It is much nicer today - mostly sun and very pleasant walking. Joan

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I hear planes in the distance Erynne, rarely close by. I used to live closer to Pearson and they could sound like they were going to go to bed with you sometimes. lol, Joan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.