floating seeds

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I just put 5 different kinds of Daturas , some 7 Crowns and Santa Maria seeds in water and everything- all of them are floating . Is this normal ? This is first time I have tried soaking first .

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Usually, seeds that are still floating after soaking them for a short time are non fertile; I do not know specifically about datura's though.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Daturas have a fairly hard seed coat. You may need to nick or scarfy them before soaking.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I hope there are some exceptions to this rule or else only about one of the 10 clematis pitcherii seeds I started are viable! :(

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Some 7 Crowns and Santa Maria seeds were sprouted on the 11th .6 Days after soaking
3 Different daura seeds have roots with either hairs [I hope ]or fungas on them . 1 double purple , a single white and a double whits sprouted .
Nothing on Double yellow or yellow Brug . I put at least 6 of each in Jiffy pellets - 2 seeds per Jiffy pellet .
Total = 96 Jiffy pellets . Bottom heat on all .

Louisville, KY

There is a statment on the following link indicates that some seed float and others don't. I posted this link sometime ago and it is still on here. Scroll down to D and you will find Datura.
Gary

Seeds and Seedpods
There are two parts to this section - one on Seeds, and one on Seedpods.

The Seed section is a chart of 500 seeds sorted by size and shape. All the pictures are more or less life-size, photographed in a 1" circle. If you have some seeds with no name, this might help you to identify them.

The Seedpods section is a Database of over 300 plants, with pictures of the seedpod and a description of the seedpod and seeds. There's also a picture of the seeds, information about how I germinated them, and a picture of the resulting seedling. So the Database brings together all the information given separately in the sections on Seeds, Seedlings and Germination, with additional photographs and information about the seed pods.

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you , I bookmarked the site .
Update - the Datura and Burg seeds looked moldy . moved and appllied bottom heat - mold went away but I may have cooked seeds .
Added more water - they were dry and covered .
3 days now . I'll give them another week - if nothing, I'll toss them .

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Tony, try chilling your datura seeds in the refrigerator for a week or so before planting them.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks . I put everything [ seeds ] in refrigerator .

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

seeds that float will germinate--have had germination on my clematis and all but one of the seeds floated.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I was going to toss the ones that hadn't sprouted yet , but I read somewhere yesterday it might take a couple of months to sprout .
Yesterday , Wallmart had Guava seeds . I bought a pack .

Eureka, CA

I guess I should have refrigerated mine.... :o( I got some triple yellow datura in a trade: they are in some six packs on a heat mat.... hopefully they will show for me!

Sanna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.