"OK, Time to Confess, Bulbs Part III: Spring Cometh"

Denver, CO

Now that most orders for fall bulbs and Hippeastrum are done (Most, I said). Those bulbs will be blooming soon, and the topic of Bulb orders will slide casually (more casually in California) into spring-planted bulbs, as some of those catalogues have arrived already to fuel our maniacle bulb-lusts.

In the words of Badseed: "What sneaked home with you?"

Last posts in Pt II, we were talking about starting Cylcamen from seed, Garden Nicknames, and the size and Cultivar of Moonglow's Tulips. I thought that a new thread should be started when the first spring bulb bloomed in breezy Western Colorado, so here we go.

Kenton

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
somewhere, PA

Hey - no fair having the first bloom of the year! (sorry - gotta little "green" LOL)
I'm gonna go check to see if any are popping up around here.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

REALLY? I can't imagine a bulb blooming outside now. Snow's a coming all week here.

Denver, CO

The "Loamy Lady" had a Galanthus elwesii (blooms earlier than nivalis, I think.) last winter. (when we had snow) That darn thing budded out Thanksgiving day, and after intermittent snows, bloomed Christmas day. I will bug her to look for her picture of it under a tiny little hooded snowdrift. Highly endearing.

We'll keep you alive intravenously with pictures, Boojum!

somewhere, PA

I checked. Absolutely no sign of any life out there. Of course.

Denver, CO

Perhaps the mistake you made was reading a book to them that said they should not be blooming now. I like to keep my plants out-of-the-know in many things like season, zone, pH... The lesson: they aren't supposed to do it, but Don't tell them that!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Another warm sunny day here! So, the new island bed dedicated to fruity colors is outlined and a new "need" has arisen to aquire yet more bulbs! I'll content myself to dream of spring planted bulbs for now, but having a place for peach, apricot, mango, and salmony colors has me thinking of all the fun tulips in those tones. I have been pretty consumed with combing through the rose vendors to, but that's for another forum(obsession).

Kenton, had the stem started curling when you harvested the pod from the cyclamen? They're so cool how they curl (like a slinky) back up to bring the seed pod close to soil level.
Neal.

somewhere, PA

OH - I've got one curling back already! Maybe I'll have seeds sooner than I had thought.
Thanks for the tip Neal.
Tam

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh thank you, Kenton, for posting that pic. I have some of those and though I'm sure they aren't looking anything like that, under the snow, maybe they will soon. Of course, 'soon' is a relative term...

Denver, CO

The Cyclamen bit would ahve been cleaned off from where it was, I feel, if I hadn't "liberated" it. It was beginning to curl. That is good information; the reason for these forums, eh? Good luck on those difficult intermediate colors, Neal. Tell us what you end up choosing. Have you seen Verbascum 'Carribean Crush?' A friend has it; very edible colors.
Kenton

Corte Madera, CA

hello! out all afternoon planting more daffs! i hope you're all having a fab time while i was digging away =))). noticed the earlier daffs i planted are coming up. same as the few ones i planted last year.

my white-washed 8" across tulips. on their third day when that photo was taken. they were red with dark center. supposed to be bigger, too. 5" when tucked according to the catalog. "red dynasty" came with giant yellow jonquils (coming up already).

please remind me next year to focus on daffodils instead of tulips. pretty please.

congrats on the bloom, kenton.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Hi all, Well, I bit the bullet at SpringHill Nursery ahd bought the whole "American" Bulb Series, 8 different color blends. Fortunately I had a great coupon so the expense was not overwhelming. I also found some great 3-paks from McKinley Grow on EBay. Theuy are issueing vouchers for bulbs to be mailed in February. I see COLOR in my futurre, wheeee :)) Neal, part of them are yours, of course !
God bless, and keep the pictures coming !! Still no bulbs or roses at my Costco.
Margo

Denver, CO

Annapet, is 'Red Dynasty' the Tulip? If so, put that baby in PlantFiles. Why do you want a focus on Narc. next year? Cooling-zone chllanges?

Margo, do you mean Sping Hill the catalogue. They don't have a happy following. Do remember to post when those babies bloom.

Hey everybody: I need your help:
I am currently taking out quite a bit of soil and amending my front strip garden. It has been neglected for years in favor of my main garden in the back yard, growing only a couple sick roses, iris, and mums. I hope to have my front yard look as healthy as the back yard is next season. It borders the sidewalk and the front lawn, South facing. This thing is the forefront, the banner, the title, the first impression of my place. Folks who visited and saw the banal and weed infested-strip last year were very suprised to see what was behind the fence.

My dream for this new garden (soil work starts tomorrow) has many tropical-looking plants. I realized recently that a tropical garden just looks like a normal garden in CA or FL. The key is having both temperate and tropical. "North by South" Landscaping as Dr. Francko says. Roses and Bananas

Current plans include:
Big plants: Brugmasia, Ensete, Musas, papaya, Castor bean, Canna, Dahlia, Black Hollyhawk and the two existing baby windmill palms, and an existing ‘Tiffany’ rose.
Vine plants include: small Ipomoea, moon flower, sweet pea, Passiflroa ‘Amethyst,’ Tropaeolum majus, Lablab bean, (hopefully Passiflora ‘Incense’)
Annuals and smaller things include: Tricolor amaranth, Gladiolus ‘Jester,’ Orange cosmos, calendula, carrots, lettuce, Nasturtiums, Blanketflower, miniature veronica, Muscari armeniacum and ice plant (Delosperma nubigenum).

Notice anything missing?
Bulbs! Only three species above are bulbs!
Especially needed are early-summer and mid-summer blooming plants, as you can see that Bananas and Angel’s Trumpets will dominate the late summer. I will ask you folks about spring-blooming bulbs come next fall. Medium to small height is nice. Eremurus and Knifofia may be too big. Real winners

Denver, CO

And here is a nice blurrry frontal picture of this project before I tore out the old, sick plants.
Anybody need fill dirt?

Corte Madera, CA

kenton, please remember not to buy brugs.

i'll catch up later. did you say NARC? don't say it too loud. lol.

brb.

Denver, CO

"Nark."
I figure the way Brugs are propagatable, I should be able to trade for some. The brug forum is huge and a bit intimidating. I currently have cuttings of 'Charles G.' and 'Frosty Pink' (-yuck, but beggars ain't choosers, eh?)

I have not grown one in full, hot CO sun yet, I hope it will work. (same goes for non-hardy Musa nd Ensete.)

Also to add is my zone. This strip is a microclimate of at least 8 as far as the ground is concerned. (Thus the palms... It has never frozen, and Gladiolus have overwintered that were just sitting on top of the dirt.
Kenton

Ed. to add that the close Brug. relation Datura does very well here, Annapet

This message was edited Jan 4, 2006 10:37 PM

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Kenton, whatever you do there, I have no doubt it will be stunning. And I've got zone envy...

Denver, CO

Oh, come on, give me your ideas! Even if it is "Whoah, that's too much stuff for a small area."

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm really bad at suggesting things by looking at a picture. I really am! Now if I were standing there in your yard, I might be able to give you a couple of ideas. I don't know what the difference is, but usually I'm the one asking for ideas, because I'm terribly uncreative!

Denver, CO

Well, what are you going to put in your bright lights garden? I'm also brainstorming some garden art, but the area is not too conducive to it...

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I actually was starstruck by Walmart's new seed displays last weekend. Cosmos, zinnias, nasturtiums, sunflowers, marigolds, african daisies and there is already one lily planted there... ;-)

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

A friend planted a strip like that. She had the shortest plants at the front and at the very back, with intermediate and taller-sized plants in the middle. In that way, she was able to see all the great plants that passers-by saw from the street, but from her house, also.
Of course, now I realize that was in the days when folks just made rows and were not creative about garden bed shapes. I love the tip I got about using a garden hose to lay out a bed, moving the hose around until you like the shape. Then you spray paint the ground next to the hose and voila! you have the shape you want to dig out and prepare for plants.

Corte Madera, CA

oh, wow. kenton, photos please!

kylee, i have to go across the pond for a wal-mart =(. 45 minutes away.

yesterday, as i was raking leaves, i thought about taking photos of my yard for the BEFORE look. but it's all a mess. construction debris. plywood. rebars. ACK. it's just yucky. then black unappealing nursery pots. perhaps i'll wait.

but i'm super excited about the bulbs coming up!

and this time of year....bareroot roses! woo-hoo. i planted 50 (it just happened that way) in 2005, my first year. lol.

betty, i'll try that hose thing one of these days.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Most stores are that far away for me, too, Moonglow, but we have a Walmart about 20 minutes away, thank goodness!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Kenton, plans for your front yard sound great, and plant list is super. All I would add are caladiums to be used as "filler", mixing taller varieties with short ones. Don't ask me for names, don't know them that well.

I myself buy Miss Muffet and last fall bought the rubra, which is a black one with red markings. Also, what about a dwarf canna? But there are tall, med and dwaft to satisfy your height requirements. I like dwarf because in my area you don't see it so much.

Are you gonna have room for all that stuff??? LOL

PS: hey! what is wrong with CG and Frosty Pink? I love those! And like people said here, do not buy any brugs. There will be gazillion people in the brug forum to enable this addiction.

Denver, CO

Annapet, "Before" Pictures are best with the trash showing! Isn't that more realistic?

Betty, I think The bed will keep it's current shape; strait lines meeting at a rounded end; organic curvilinear lines dominate my back yard. (-where I used the hose technique to its fullest when laying rock.) That tall-to-short scheme has been called "School Picture" and "Stadium Seating." The bed is fairly shallow but long, so I think big things will go on the ends, leaving a shorter section in the middle.

Vossner, I think I will use Caladiums as a color-foil for the Hostas and such in the shade garden. My eyes burn on C. 'Gingerland.' I suppose I owe you something, now eh?
Cannas species/cvs: musafolia, indica, 'Tropicanna' and 'Red King Humbert.'
Nothing is wrong with Brug. 'Charles Grimaldi,' but I don't care for pink. I forgot to mention I have ordered 'Jamaican Yellow,' and a friend has promised me a peice of 'Miner's Claim' that she has ordered. I think that color limitations keep me from going more than 80% nuts for Brugs at this time.

I think I'm still missing out on summer bulbs somehow...
Kenton

Ed. to add:
I will be out of town for a couple days, but I am taking "the project" with me, Kylee. It's getting fun.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2006 12:01 AM

Myrtle Beach, SC

Kenton, please don't buy brugs !! I have traded for and bought cuttings of so many new varieties for this Spring. I have a couple doubles of cream, 2 different cuttings of Herrenhauser Garten (triple orange that tends to be persnickety) a few other peaches, yellows and a double white and a triple white. In addition to all of those I have some of the most gorgeous pinks. The only thing I am missing is a double pink. I have bid several times on EBay but I just can't bring myself to buy them at over $150 per plant. (Yes, some went for over $200) Yes, I was bitten quite severely by the brug bug. In addition to the brugs, I bought seeds for Iochroma, a sister to brugs. These are supposed to be bright blue. That might be a pretty addition to your garden. They ,make a small tree/shrub. Go investigate and let me know if you would like a couple seeds. The blooms are small 2-3 inches but intense in color from what I have seen.
Your garden strip sounds interesting. I love cannas. I recently added tropicana varigated. It has beautiful gold, green and orange foliage. I also bought Stuttgardt. True white and green foliage. Very fragile in strong sun, the white temnds to fry. I bought one other that has deep purply black foliage, just can't remember her name. Friends gave me City of Portland, President, Cleopatra and Red dazzler. I know I have a couple others but cannot remember their names right now. I love cannas for their foliage, even though many of them have very pretty flowers.
Are you putting any lilies in the strip ? Which ones ? What about lantana ? There are so many colors and I love their hardiness. They self seed, so they are always growing and blooming. Very invasive, though. For a low growing burst of color they work nicely. How about phlox , foxglove, monarda and columbine? All the colors in the rainbow. I have some black hollyhock seeds ?
Now you have my head whirling. There is so much to choose from for Spring. I love color !!
Good luck with your planning. Make pictures as you go, we all want to watch your garden grow !!
God bless, Margo

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Kenton, you're really getting my curiosity going!! Especially since I don't know what one it is you're doing. ;-)

I don't like pinks much either, in flowers. I don't hate them, but they aren't my favorites. For example, when I bought zinnia seeds the other day, NO PINKS!!! Just white, green, red, and yellow. I love giant zinnias and can't wait to grow these!

Myrtle Beach, SC

I love zinnias also! They are the most "determined to grow" flower that I have grown. They reseed themselves generously also. I bought a mixed packet last year and they looked very pretty growing under a couple of peach and yellow brugs that I had kept pruned as small trees. This year I want to undergrowth a few with coleus. God bless, Margo

Corte Madera, CA

double pink? you'll have at least 2 by mid-year. i'll try not to kill them, margo.

didn't get to take photos, but gardened all afternoon again. wow, two days in a row feels like spring to me.

keeping myself busy with my roses while waiting for the bulbs to bloom!

Myrtle Beach, SC

Ohhhhh AnnaPet, thank you so very much ! You sure know how to brighten my days ! I am so excited, wheeee :)) What can I look for to trade with you ? Are you looking for any certain roses ? or bulbs ? Sure wish my Costco would get their J & P Roses and their Spring bulbs...I have gone bulb crazy :))
Big hugs coming your way, Thank you so much, Love you, Margo

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner,

I got my order from easytogrowbulbs.com and omg they are HUGE. Thanks!!

Corte Madera, CA

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Attention boys and girls, Costco has unloaded their spring and summer bulbs! The stock is UNTOUCHED when I got to it. Well, it's not even on the selling floor yet....

=)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, time to confess--

I am a little upset that there are so few bulb flower photo winners in the Photo Contest (that I can find, anyway)! Although I do think there are so many beautiful pics of daylilies, hostas, gardens, trees, brugs and everything else. But I am a big prostelitizer for spring bulbs . :-)

I did see 9kittymom's wonderful spring tulip picture

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2005/image.php?rid=4641

and many Congratulations for posting and winning, kittymom!,

and I think that is it....

didn't you all vote for any bulb pics?!? Or did I miss some other 'bulbalaceous' winners?

So, I am a little piqued this morning...but I suppose I will get over it. Next year I will be sure to enter my photos (which I confess I did not do) and I wish/hope every other bulb gardener will, too! And Vote, too. :-)

Well, now I have to go outside and see if any are coming up early. Aren't the snow drops supposed to be blooming soon?

Have a great day. t.

Tabasco, sorry you were piqued. The best remedy for getting over is to go online and check out the new spring/summer bulbs. They're out! lol But now that you mentioned it, a bulb category is needed (or maybe a subcategory under flowers)

Anywho, alm, I am so glad you are happy with your bulbs from easy to grow. It was Tabasco who first tipped me to them.

As Annapet mentioned, spring/summer bulbs are slowly creeping into the box stores. I went to Walmart yesterday and they have a very nice selection of glads, not just your non-descript mix. They also had some lilies, canna, calla (other than white) and caladiums.

Corte Madera, CA

oh, t. i had gorgeous bulb photos but didn't enter either. why don't we enter this year? this is now officially a campaign.

nery, i'm going back for another costco expedition.

=)

you are too cute. Happy shopping

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The Lowe's near me has their bulbs now too!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi all! Been having DSL difficulties, so occasionally I've been able to stay online long enough to look at a few posts before getting booted off, but any time I tried to post a reply, no go. Very frustrating for a blabbermouth like me! LOL

Kenton, I agree with Margo that some Asiatic lilies would be great early summer color for your project. And some of the Orienpets are very unusual, muted, earthy colors you may appreciate. What a great, clean slate you have to work with to. I'm a rose-a-holic, so naturally roses came to my mind on the fence. And if that Frosty Pink brug makes your eyes bleed, I'll happily give it a good home LOL.
Neal.

Corte Madera, CA

neal, i think i'll still choose my roses over brugs. thank goodness i don't have to.

planted more daffodils today:

replete
tahiti
orangerie
winston churchill
flower drift
blonde beauty.

i think they are all doubles.

potted up 2 wild blue yonder (grandflora of the year) from costco. oh, i'm so happy! the roses at my costco were virtually untouched. but i know they've been there right before christmas.

nery, perhaps i'll hold off on the bulbs. found $2 off coupons per bag. 10 bag limit. feb 6-12 though. that's ok. i have more daffs to plant, and i should take care of them before january ends.

i've had too much tea today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.