"OK, Time to Confess, Bulbs Part III: Spring Cometh"

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I numbered my milk jugs with permanent marker really big, and will check them regularly for fading and remark them if necessary. But just in case, I've got them lined up in numerical order, too.

somewhere, PA

I hear that Brothers Label maker makes very long lasting plant tags. I have
to get my notes ... I'll post with the details later tonight.

Tam

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yep, that they do. Be sure to get the TZ tape which is hot/cold, abrasion, spill and UV resistant. I use TZ with the extra adhesive.

somewhere, PA

Well - sounds like Moby has the details! LOL

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I was browsing elsewhere on DG this past weekend and someone suggested metal markers at iriscitygardens.com. You can buy just the markers and put your own wire in them. They were 8.00/dozen.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I feel your plant label pain Margo. The plastic ones I just won't use anymore outside, and I'm too cheap to buy the nice metal ones, especially since I'd need 100's of them. So, I've been saving alluminum pie pans and making plant markers out of them. I first cut the crinkled edges off, leaving a flat circle. Then I fold the edges to form an elongated triangle. It works like that, but I go ahead and trim it so that the part I've written on can be tilted and I can see it without bending over, and so that the part I stick in the ground is a narrower point. I first use a ball point pen so there is a permanent indention of the plant name, then go over it with a permanent marker to make it easier to read. But as the ink fades, I can still make out what it says and go over it again with a marker.
Neal.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I might add that the P-Touch labels stick quite well to the cheap, little plastic markers available at garden centers. :)

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

thought I'd jump in here and back up what Moby says. I've had them in my garden on metal markers for 3 years now and they look just like new.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

What about the old "plastic blind trick", which btw I learned right here on DG: Buy an old plastic miniblind ( garage sale is best, but even at walmart I bought a new one for $3). Then cut the slats into 6" pieces and voila. I use permanent markers and none have faded. very inexpensive way to label. Perhaps cutting them a little bit longer and planting them deeper will prevent them for getting lost. Mine at 6" stay put.

I also use the nice metal markers for my DLs and special plants. You can buy them by the 100s and is not a bad deal, but for the life of me, I cannot find the threads that mention these markers. There was even a "marker coop" but I just noticed the coop forum has been eliminated. maybe someone will find the thread? A dozen for $8 is wayyy too expensive.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

OK everybody-- here's a challenge:

Who is going to enter their local daffodil (or bulb) show this spring?!!

Did you see ladyrowan's list of Daff Shows and Conventions?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/568776/

I'm a little shy about it, but I think it would be a good way to really get to know different varieties (and daffodil enthusiasts)...

What do you think? Anybody 'got game'? LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Voss, I've tried the plastic blinds but have found that they become very brittle and then go to pieces altogether. If they worked for you, then maybe it's the winter here that does them in...?

I tried to find some info on the co-op that we had but the DG search engine is off-line right now. Perhaps someone could drop Dave a line requesting info about the source for that particular co-op. They were especially nice, I thought, the marker plate was quite sturdy and had rounded edges so they weren't sharp. (and I have some others that are nasty sharp!)

here are a couple of sources for the metal plant markers

http://eonindustries.com/index.html

and

http://www.everlastlabel.com/

I've had markers from both companies and personally feel Everlast has the best by far.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

llilyfan - which markers did you order from Everlast? The plant and shrub markers?

that's it! Everlast. that is who I bought from. I bought Item #E, rose marker. has served me well.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Hi Ya'll !
I have the 50 of the "E" type markers. I found them on EBay quite a while back. Maybe 10-12 months ago. I don't remember how much I piad for them and I really like them.....they are the ones I used indelible ink and labels and taped over the label on the post. That's what faded. So now I will go back and use the label maker Tammy reccommended on the ones I can figure out. Live and learn, I suppose. Regardless of whether I figure out all the names, they will still be pretty :)) I just can't believe my careful planning was such a dud ! God bless you all and thanks for the ideas :)) Margo

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good going, Sue! These are the ones from the co-op http://eonindustries.com/eseries.html They specifically mention the rounded corners to avoid scratches. Check the order form for pricing ~ 25 for $12.80 (15 inch) with lower price in greater quantity. Shipping seems expensive but these things are heavy!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I live less than an hour away from Liberty Center (EON Industries). I wonder if they have an outlet? I bought the copper markers on eBay for a really good price, but now I wish I'd gotten the nursery markers. The copper tags keep coming off.

I have the E series Garden Markers. I've had the copper markers that wrap around and keep popping of and I finally went with the slide on. Just wish I had followed my own advice and bought from Eon rather than PawPaw. The differnce in quality is tremendous and worth the extra money.

Corredted 'Everlast' to read Eon

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 10:15 AM

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 10:17 AM

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Wait, llilyfan........that site says "Paw Paw Everlast." I'm confused.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL I thought it was just me...

and me!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

So which one IS the best?

Somebody on one of the threads compared pricing and determined they were relatively the same (like $1-2 difference). correct me if I'm wrong.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The prices are pretty close. I'm going to take a stab and guess that llilyfan meant Eon instead of Everlast. Eon is just a bit more expensive ~ compare:

Everlast (F) 20" is $36.25/100 vs. Eon (E) 20" is $41.30/100. The difference being only 5 cents each.

Denver, CO

Wow, makes the thread about painting rocks as markers look pretty appealing about now...

Well, now you guys see why I mostly lurk!!!!!!!!!!LOL

EON has the better markers by far!!!! I bought the others and there just is no comparison as far as quality goes. The wire is heavier and the metal plates are thicker and not near as sharp as the ones I got from PawPaw. Don't get me wrong my garden is covered in PawPaw garden markers, but if I had to do it over.....

Denver, CO

Speaking of doing it over, who would like to start a fourth part to this grand conglomerated thread? We sure can fill a page up...

Corte Madera, CA

kenton, please start another!

=)))

Denver, CO

Tabasco has a nice one going already. Please join in there, all:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/568724/

and the madness continues. I bought tuberose "the pearl" at HD ($3.32 a pk of 2 bulbs) I bought 3 pks and planted them.

Denver, CO

Is that double or single, I forget?

me, kenton? i dunno. need to go ck on the wrapper. Right now busy trying to get my dear stepson shipped off to army boot camp this afternoon. won't see him for about 10 months or so.

Corte Madera, CA

nery, i looked it up. oh, so pretty.

btw, i did mail the stuff for you, margo, neal, and kenton. should get there before the weekend.

the peart, online photo.

Thumbnail by Moonglow

you are too good. my prediction is all your roses, brugs and everything else are gonna go crazy blooming for you and all your neighbors will be pea green with envy, lol

Corte Madera, CA

a salute to our new soldier, nery!

oh, my yard is seriously full of construction junk. our weekend project-little remodel got big, and it will really be a while before i get my pretty fence, and plan my garden. my neighbors probably wish i come up with ooodles of money and finish the remodel. at least the mailman appreciates my efforts (a little gardening).

those 2 pine trees are not doing too hot and will go down.

we will cut more dirt and build a retaining wall. (that "cliff" is a little over 6' tall).

take down the ugly deer fencing and replace with pretty wood and glass panels.

so much to do....

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Please take pics of the progress!

Corte Madera, CA

will certainly do, moby. i am excited but sort of scared.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A bit overwhelming, I'm sure.

Denver, CO

Does anyone else have a mental picture of Deer blowing vapour and writing their names on that glass paneling?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL No, but it's not too hard to summon up the image. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.