Photo by Melody

Bulbs: "OK, Time to Confess, Bulbs Part III: Spring Cometh", 1 by ineedacupoftea

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ineedacupoftea

In reply to: "OK, Time to Confess, Bulbs Part III: Spring Cometh"

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of "OK, Time to Confess, Bulbs Part III: Spring Cometh"
ineedacupoftea wrote:
Annapet, is 'Red Dynasty' the Tulip? If so, put that baby in PlantFiles. Why do you want a focus on Narc. next year? Cooling-zone chllanges?

Margo, do you mean Sping Hill the catalogue. They don't have a happy following. Do remember to post when those babies bloom.

Hey everybody: I need your help:
I am currently taking out quite a bit of soil and amending my front strip garden. It has been neglected for years in favor of my main garden in the back yard, growing only a couple sick roses, iris, and mums. I hope to have my front yard look as healthy as the back yard is next season. It borders the sidewalk and the front lawn, South facing. This thing is the forefront, the banner, the title, the first impression of my place. Folks who visited and saw the banal and weed infested-strip last year were very suprised to see what was behind the fence.

My dream for this new garden (soil work starts tomorrow) has many tropical-looking plants. I realized recently that a tropical garden just looks like a normal garden in CA or FL. The key is having both temperate and tropical. "North by South" Landscaping as Dr. Francko says. Roses and Bananas

Current plans include:
Big plants: Brugmasia, Ensete, Musas, papaya, Castor bean, Canna, Dahlia, Black Hollyhawk and the two existing baby windmill palms, and an existing ‘Tiffany’ rose.
Vine plants include: small Ipomoea, moon flower, sweet pea, Passiflroa ‘Amethyst,’ Tropaeolum majus, Lablab bean, (hopefully Passiflora ‘Incense’)
Annuals and smaller things include: Tricolor amaranth, Gladiolus ‘Jester,’ Orange cosmos, calendula, carrots, lettuce, Nasturtiums, Blanketflower, miniature veronica, Muscari armeniacum and ice plant (Delosperma nubigenum).

Notice anything missing?
Bulbs! Only three species above are bulbs!
Especially needed are early-summer and mid-summer blooming plants, as you can see that Bananas and Angel’s Trumpets will dominate the late summer. I will ask you folks about spring-blooming bulbs come next fall. Medium to small height is nice. Eremurus and Knifofia may be too big. Real winners