Tiny zip locks?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all! I was wondering where everyone gets the tiny zip locks that are like the manilla coin envelopes I use. I looked at office max and didn't see any. Or, what do you use for resealable inexpensive seed storage.

Thanks!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Try Hobby Lobby or Michael's Crafts...lots of folks get them at those type of stores. I've never looked because I prefer the paper type.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I have saw those in Wal-Mart's craft dept.

Another one- sorry I don't know what they're called.
Where do you get the envelopes that look/feel sort of like wax paper? And what are they called? LOL!

This message was edited Jan 2, 2006 6:01 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Glassine.

Seed Savers Exchange offers them in their retail catalog...along with the heat sealed foil envelopes too.

http://seedsavers.org/

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

THANKS!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I buy large quantities at a time, so I get a good deal online at Paper Mart. Here's the page for little ziplocks: http://www.papermart.com/index/index_bag_poly.htm Here's the page for glassine bags: http://www.papermart.com/templates/11-0-45.htm#GO_11045

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I got a huge amount of zip locks different sizes at Michaels about a week ago . They are really reasonable priced there.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think I've been paying 99 cents per hundred at Walmart... The trick is to look in the craft department. And the Ace Hardware in Pittsburgh had a nice box of 200 for 2 bucks. So that gives you an idea of whether or not you've found a good price! (They're lots more expensive here at our Office Depot.)

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

You can't beat that price at Walmart. I wish I had thought to check there first. I was at Staples earlier today and got 100 for $3.96. These have the "write on panel" so you don't have to use sticky labels.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

the small clear plastic zip bags at Wall-Mart are the best, and cheapest, they are in the craft department

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Iwas using the ones you put baseball cards in until I found them at Michaels .
I like the bigger ones - stiff hands easier to open and close . I can write small , but reading is too hard .

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

With any glassine or manilla envelopes you use, try tipping your enclosed seed in different directions to check for seed loss. I use the 2x4" glassines and fold the tops over twice, but I've received some of the smaller ones with an envelope type closure and they leak seed. The same is true with those manilla coin envelopes. Small seed escapes.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, WZ has a good point. And while we're on the topic of seed packaging.... If you make your own packets for seeds, please cut them out with flaps to fold over and tape. If you simply fold a piece of paper in half and tape around the edges to make a seed envelope, seeds can and will get all stuck to the tape along the edges.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought my first bunch on eBay. I work at a Wal-Mart and didn't even think to look in the Craft Dept. lol I will tomorrow when I go in:)

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the ideas. Last summer was the first I ever collected seeds and I put them in regular (letter) envelopes. Needless to say, that didn't work very well! I'll be checking out my local Wal-mart.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.