No greenhouseLarge sunroom instead

Hastings, MI

We added on a greatroom on our old farmhouse. With10 large windows on south, west, and east. Some medium trees shade it at 20 or so feet so we could stand more light. Its too dry inside and colder than the rest of the house in the winter (the plants don't seem to mind the cold). Can't get it wet like a greenhouse. Have many houseplants to carry to the sink. I would like to water and care for them where they stand without making a big wet mess. Any ideas?

Hooks, TX

I have used the cheap plastic shelving from discount stores - the ones with the solid shelves. When you get it put together, just turn the whole thing upside down. The shelves have a 2+ inch lip which forms trays that will catch the water from the bottom of the pots. This worked really well for me.
Louise

Pasadena, CA

That sounds neat. I would like to see pictures of that large room you have. I wish I had a bit more space

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Crownofthorns, I have the same problem when bringing in all our plants for overwintering. We used to use the round clear saucers for each pot but that was created a problem because of spacing. This year we purchased clear plastic trays - usually sold as the domes for seedling trays. They have worked great - can usually fit three 6" or 8" clay pots in each or more if the pots are smaller. Best part is the excess water that drains from the pots after watering creates humidity for them as well. They're not cheap, but they'll last from year to year.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd love to see photos, too!
Sounds wonderful!

I can't recall the name offhand (it's at home) but there's a product out there that's a long 'skinny' hose that you attach to your sink faucet to water your plants with.

I'll go search for it.

http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/site/catalog/Product.jhtml?PRODID=20726&CATID=50&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_t=PPCSHOP&WT.mc_n=FROO&term=817031&src_cd=FROO_817031&WT.mc_r=15

Here's another:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/yardandgarden/article/0,16417,191977-6,00.html

Probably a stupid question, but do you have saucers under each plant?

If so, and you used one of these, watering would be pretty easy!

This message was edited Dec 30, 2005 10:57 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.