Winter Buying Frenzy

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Am I the only one that does this? In winter I get in this houseplant frenzy...just when I have the least space because so many have to come inside. I think it's over compensating for not being able to get outside. I went to buy a plant rack to put the existing plants on and I ended up buying four anthuriums, a sansevieria, a peperomia, a pilea "purple waffle" and a small false aralia. I did get a wire shelving unit to put everyone on but then I had to rearrange the dining room to get everything in there. I've ordered square pots so I can cram more into a small space. Somebody please STOP ME!!!!!!!

This message was edited Dec 18, 2005 8:38 PM

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

You make it sound like there is something WRONG with this...

tee hee hee ; )

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh, thank heavens! For a minute there I was thinking it was just me! The purple waffle was mislabeled as a purple passion which is just a purple velvet so I went through the whole Exotic Angel online catalog to positively ID the pilea plant and make it a correct tag. Some people would think my brain came from the jar marked "Abby Normal". It's good to be among your own kind.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol!
I've done this often myself.....just not this winter....er....wait a minute...I guess I did do it a few weeks ago (!) when I went to the greenhouse/giftshop to buy my niece a gift for Christmas *and* to buy a poinsettia....I came home with a Pahp. orchid and an irresistible fern...along with the Poinsettia.

My 7 y.o. daughter told me (while I was 'wrestling' with the decision whether to do so or not) that I *had* to buy that orchid!

I have to agree that it seems to have something to do with (over)compensating for not being able to pamper the plants outdoors.

If you're Abby Normal then I'm your twin sister! lol!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I figure what all the chaos going on in the plant stands, my hubby would never notice 1 or 2...or 7 more. hahaha Sometimes he doesn't!!!! hahaha

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I really should be showing some self control as I am most likely to move to another state (ANY other state) this spring. Will probably sell most of the furniture and just move the plants and my zoo. And the plant stands, of course.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Who needs furniture? You can just sleep among your plants...it'll give you that camping out feeling...or maybe a jungle feeling...I guess it just depends on what all you have... ; )

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Definitely jungle. Complete with two macaws!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

cool...you could have a 'jungle room'~!! hee hee

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

The "winter buying frenzy" .... LOL..... you are not alone.....I call it "green depravation" or "greenless blues" or "garden withdrawl".... For me, January is the worst. Luckily, the end of January is when I start seed flats for Spring.

The wintertime and "garden withdrawl" got so bad for me that we decided to erect a greenhouse. LOL And even with a greenhouse and all of the puttering and potting that can be done in a greenhouse, I come into the house and still feel "garden withdrawl".... I just guess that I was born to keep my hands dirty. But, yeah, the "winter buying frenzy" is well known by alot of gardeners.

Lynn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.