Bargain Violets

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

And Frosted Belle (looks to be a semi-mini?, variegated foliage. Can't tell what the flowers will be yet)
I also could not find any info.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Here's a group shot -post grooming and spraying. They're sitting on a towel to soak any excess water so they will hopefully survive. It's in the mid to high 60's in my bedroom (no heat) but we're having a storm front so the temps outside are in the 60's. I'll space them out after a bit, want to make sure they aren't too wet first.

Don't think we'll flood, but St. Helena, a city about 8 miles down the road is reported to be flooding. It's not usually too bad, mostly the vineyards are under water. We checked out portion of the river this a.m. and it's only half way up to the top. We should be good.

The conservation corp came through a few years back and cleaned all the dead tree snags and debris out so that it doesn't back up so bad now.

In '95 we did flood pretty bad. I woke up at 4am and got out of bed and put my feet in water! It had come up and silently flooded our house and I never heard a thing! Not until 'splat' I stuck my bare feet in it as I got out of bed. Warped the kitchen floors pretty bad. But all in all we didn't have that much damage. Could have' been much worse!

Oops, I forgot I took a photo of Aly's Mary Ruth before her haircut.

This might be a better shot. the other is a bit over contrasted.

Here's Lollipop Kid. It doesn't look like the AVS photo, but here's what I got.
http://www.avsa.org/Photographs/LollipopKidLrg.jpg#http://../Photographs/LollipopKidLrg.jpg#

Here's a shot showing her bugs! Spilled pollen and a teeny thrip. Not sure if it will show.

Here's Little Pro. Glad I got this one because I was outbid on ebay ! Yea!

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Good luck and keep away from the water :(
I hope your plants are feeling better soon!
Are those the ones from D&P greenhouse?
I still have mine isolated but have not seen any negative signs yet

I ended up gettin gfour plants out of the one Rob's Pink Satin. it was a mess. So crowded in the pot. So now there are four tiny babies. Looks to be crown variegated.

http://www.avsa.org/Photographs/Rob'sPinkSatinLrg.jpg#http://../Photographs/Rob'sPinkSatinLrg.jpg#

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Oh Oh...Can I get a pink satin?
I love Rob's varieties!

Yes, all from D & P. BUT they were in the 'isolation' stand and below a supermarket thrip infested violet, so likey the thrips hopped to the D & P.

Lorry, I also fount one mealy bug. I inspect them pretty closely, no soil mealies but one (i think it was Ramblin Dots) had a mealy.

Of course you can have one of the Rob's Pink Satin! I have four! They are tiny now that I've trimmed and replanted, but hopefully after 'quarentine' and bug spray, everyone will be good to go!

edited to correct the name from D&G to D&P. Woops.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2005 11:03 AM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

They sure are looking good. Chances are the thrips came in on them :((
Good thing you noticed and taking care of thm. I have no thrip bug stuff :(( I will put all my plannts from them after fixing them up into a clsed mini greenhouse and take all flowers off.
Did you put leaves down of them all ? Make sure you always put leaves down of all your plants this way if something happens to them if not you have them to share/trade ! Thrips can jump and they and other insects that can not be seen with the naked eye can be on leaves. Yours should be fine. I would treat three more times every 7-10 days. Good luck ! Hek you can't even buy a leaf for a dollar your plants look great.
Aly's China Doll I love her girl leaf too ! Thanks bunches ! ]
Aly's Mary Ruth is beautiful too ! Can you put a leaf down for me please !
Little Pro is great ! Is there more than on plant in that pot ?
Lollipop Kid.could be right. The thrips could have changed it's looks some, enviroment..
Lollipop Kid (8247) 07/28/1995 (S. Sorano) Semidouble light orchid pansy/dark red-orchid frilled edge. Medium green, ovate, quilted/red back. Semiminiature
Both pictures in FC look different.
Good thing you caught the thrips. I am pretty sure they came in with them.
I have no thrip killer. I will have to take all buds off wash with soap and put all new plants and leaves down in zip up green house.
Frosted Belle is so pretty ! Can you please put a leaf down for me :))
Don't I just want them all. lol Well my box was shipped out yesterday. I'll get my greenhouse and clean trays ready for them. I know I will enjoy working on them ! I just love doing that ! Thanks for sharing them , Allison

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Begonia :)) Lot's of time you get a plant and it has a name but missing part so it makes it hard to ID. It may supose to have Optimara, Rebel's, Ness'., Buckeye, Rhapsody , Ultra Violet and so on.
I have been looking for your Frosted Belle . The cloest I've come is Ness' Frosty Belle
Double wine-two tone Vareigated dark green, cream and pink, quilted ,
quilted/red back.
Semiminiautre.
Am I any where close ?

Ali, I am using the Bayer's Rose care at 1/2 strength. I got mine at our version of HD.
Here's the stuff
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/garden/products/details.cfm?id=3

I haven't put leaves down yet. I need to get more organized on this shelf. I was waiting until I did the 'intake' on all of them first. some lost leaves in the process so they got put down. But not all of them yet. I need one more perlite tray.

Some have already had their second treatment. (the supermarkets)

Isn't that frosted belle cute! very tidy.

I just need to get some new pots now. what size is the 'thumb' that you use on your mini's

oh and Little pro is actually one plant, but the stem is 'Y' shaped. I'm not brave enough yet to take a crown cuttin on it . The Rob's Pink Satin was actually four little plants competing for space. Easier to separate.

I'll wait a bit longer and when they are settled in, I'll take the cutting. They've been insulted enough already.

Could be Ness' Frosty Belle? good pick
here's a photo
http://www.avsa.org/Photographs/Ness'FrostyBelleLrg.jpg#http://../Photographs/Ness'FrostyBelleLrg.jpg#

the leaves look close, but the buds on mine are white. They could change a lot once they are open.
I'll check the back of the leaves when I go back in the house.

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I am going to have a list of plants that need a new home by this weekend :)
The ones I got from D&P had many plants in them :)
I should also be getting another package tommorrow from D&P so waiting until then to post all I have for trade ;)
I also have a TON of suckers down :)
Thanks so much on Pink Satin! I am excited now!

Allison ..when you get china doll! Put a leaf down for me :)

I have seen no ill signs with my D&P plants but am keeping an eye out :( I am so sorry to hear about your troubles! I know how attached we can get to our babies!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Begonia look above lol we thought a like I was wondering if it could be
have been looking for your Frosted Belle . The cloest I've come is Ness' Frosty Belle
Double wine-two tone Vareigated dark green, cream and pink, quilted ,
quilted/red back.
Semiminiautre.
Am I any where close ? :))

Ness' Frosty Belle FC picture

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

(hee hee) Oh I wish I was that smart. I saw your post then went and looked it up.LOL! I was just agreeing with you - that yes, the name could be Ness' Frosty Belle. The foliage 'fits' the description. But take a look at the buds. Hard to tell....

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Never know for sure until they open !

Well, the back of the foliage isn't red, but has some red. some birthmark type marks.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I am having such fun watching the three of you with these bargain violets! Between not being home over the holidays and the unpredictable winter weather, I had to give the sale a miss... hmmm, I wonder if they have any left.... ;-)

If you still have one that's not spoken for, I'd love a 'Rob's Pink Satin' plantlet! I'm very excited that you have 'Tiny Wood Trail', and I hope you'll have good luck propagating it. I did just get my first plantlet from a micromini leaf ('Child's Play'), but my first effort to propagate/groom my 'Teeny Bopper' by taking a crown cutting ended in the death of the mother plant (so far the cutting is hanging on). :-( My other tiny trailer, 'Marion's Enchanted Trail', is finally putting on some growth, so I may try taking a crown cutting or two from her soon.

I do have one, it's yours! I'll put a nametag on it for you.
BTW, here's a shot of the reverse foliage on Frosted Belle, you can see that some is plain green but others have some red veining.

And the others with red.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, thank you!

:-D

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Jill I'm glad your having fun ! I am also ! These to were having so much fun I had to order. and when Denise asked me how many 50 shot out of my mouth . lol How could I not ! Can't beat the price. I wanted some leaves and you can't buy a leaf for a $1.00
Jill is your 'Marion's Enchanted real small ?? Did you grow it by leaf or cutting ? It's a beautiful trailer. Did you know it's a Semi-miniature Trailer ?
I have two Tiny wood trailers now one much larger than the other both by leaf. I put a few leaves down from the biggest on the other day. I have grown a few Teeny Bopper and Fruit Fly's too !
Jill I get my box tomorrow :)) And Super wow Begonia has a box of Chirtias, trailers and Streps coming ! And Lorry still has boxes coming so the Fun keeps rolling along !! I am getting Minis, Semis and trailers ! I can hardly wait !

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I had a 'Marion's Enchanted Trail' before, but lost it a couple of years ago. A friend picked up another for me earlier in the summer at The Violet Gallery, but it was a tiny little plantlet (half price due to the size -- they didn't have it on the retail shelves, but she begged it for me). It has finally started to branch and grow since I put it under the lights downstairs. With the size of the leaves (largest are a quarter inch, and even the bigger plant I had before had leaves less than half an inch), I would call it a miniature rather than a semi-mini, but I guess it was classed that way for a reason. It seems like it would be hard to judge "mature size" on a trailer, since the diameter depends on how it is grown & maintained.

I hope you'll have a chance to get photos of your bargain beauties, Allison! I can't wait to hear about your box! I hope DH is standing by with the smelling salts.... :-)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Well I'd have to have hubby get another throw away camera . Who knows depends how they look. One camera takes only 27 pictures and I have 50 plants. lol Then I have him get them put on a CD so I can look and share them on the computer :)) But by the time your done the 27 pictures cost with CD about $12.00 so I'll have to see if their worth taking pictures . lol

Yes FC has Marion's Enchanted Trail as a semi-miniature. Wow your leaves are small .

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Allison, we simply *must* manage to find you a digital camera! You wouldn't need one that took great close-ups or had max. resolution... You could crop a 300 megapixel image ("cropping" a photo is easy with the software that generally comes with any camera) to make the flower fill more of the frame, and you'd still have plenty of resolution for internet purposes. (If you try to crop a 300 megapixel image by half and then enlarge it to an 8x10 print for framing, that wouldn't be satisfactory, but you don't need much resolution, meaning many pixels or photo-dots per inch, for display on a computer monitor.)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Ok I'm lost already . lol

I agree with critter, the lower megapixel cameras are probably cheaper in the long run. PLUS can you imagine Ali turned loose with a digi camera? LOL! Ali, this one and others similar are on sale at bestbuy.com (have to put it in the cart to get the sale price shown)
this one is $119.00 - Kodak four megapixel with plenty of bells and whistles.

So just a thought....(can you tell some of us -namely me- are self serving here, I just want to see more of your babies!!!) not at all saying that you are self serving critter (giggle)

this is a 'point and shoot' style, pretty easy, all you need is a USB cable port.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Well if I had one I'd want it to take terrice close up of blooms better than a throw away. lol It would have to be easy. I can not longer get to my I have a scanner, printer, copier I just don't use anymore, and I have a printer out of ink . :(( I don want to get ink soon in order to print out FC info. But I can not get to the computer or printer ...anymore. My husband or Nurse turns the computer on for me in the morning and I have a wireless keyboard and mouse my oldest son bought me a few years ago. I have a port in front to plug in a camera , but someone would always have to do it for me. This house is so small and with my hospital bed and bedside table on wheels and table for breathing machin and electric wheel chair and oh yes poor hubby gets a twin size bed next to mine and he is tall and his feet hang off a foot and our little gril Precious sleeps with him at night time and takes up a lot of space.
Before Hospital bed we had a queen size bed then life changed. Everything has to be simple and easy. :))

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Plugging the camera into the computer would be pretty easy for anybody to do for you, and then you could edit, rename, save, send etc the photos at your leisure. I would think it might be easier for you to get any assistance you needed with a digital camera than to have somebody purchase a throwaway camera, drop it off for development, and pick up the photos.

Also, the quality of your photos would probably be much better than with a throwaway camera. The point & shoot digital cameras are simple to use... my dad refers to his as a "PhD" camera, which he says stands for "Push here, Dummy!" With digital, you have the added advantage of being able to see right away if a picture came out, plus you can edit the photos easily on your computer.

The cheapest digital cameras have a fixed lens (like a throwaway camera), but you might want to consider a zoom lens so you could take photos of nearby AVs without having them right in front of you. If the camera has a "macro" setting, that means you can put the camera just a few inches from the plant to take the picture.... otherwise, you will have to take the photo from a foot or two away in order to get the camera to focus (just like with a throwaway camera). So, "macro" and "zoom" capabilities are two things you might want to look for.

The camera in that picture that Begonia posted is (I think) the Kodak EasyShare One... It has 4 megapixel resolution (more than enough for your purposes), 3x optical zoom (meaning the lens will zoom out to make the subject look 3 times closer), and I think it will even take video clips (like a camcorder).

The point I was trying to make about resolution isn't that complicated, but I don't think I explained it well, so I will try again. A digital photo is made up of lots of little data bits called pixels. The higher the resolution, the more pixels are contained in the photograph. If you have a camera that takes 3 megapixel photos (which would be the cheap ones nowdays), and you took a photo of the plant in its pot on your shelf, you might want to zoom in on, say, 1/3 of the photo frame to get a nice closeup picture of the plant. You could then "crop" the photo using a computer program (eg, trim off the 2/3 that you don't want), and you would end up with a picture that had 1 megapixel's worth of data bits in it. That's enough resolution to get a picture that's easy to see on your computer monitor. But if you tried to print out an enlargement to frame for your wall, there would just not be enough pieces of information in the photo file to get a nice, smooth, sharp image.

So, you need a fancy, expensive digital camera if you want to take extreme closeups and blow them up into 11x14" prints, but an inexpensive point & shoot will work just fine to take pictures for your records and for posting on the internet or sending by email.

There's some good information about megapixels and zoom and stuff in this thread in the Camera Talk forum, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/550610/ as well as some suggestions on what to buy.... Some other suggestions about inexpensive, easy to use cameras are on this thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/540693/ The Fuji E 550 got a couple of recommendations on this thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/550371/

Oh, and I'm being quite self serving by trying to encourage you to "go digital," Allison.... but not entirely selfish, LOL! I'd love to see photos of your AVs here, and in PlantFiles, and added to the First Class database. :-)

I only hope I haven't scared you off with too much information! (Consider it my return for some of your lengthy but info-packed posts on AVs that I've enjoyed, LOL.)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks jill for all the info. I will have to put one on my wish list :))

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Critter! I will have a ton more to share!
Many of my plants had more then one baby in them...so I am still seperating out and sharing them with everyone :)
I am pretty sure there are some in there you will be interested in!
I can't wait to share the wealth with these incredible plant babies!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippee! I have some more suckers to separate from many of my minis next week too....

DH is going to help me drag home & set up a new plant stand for one of the upstairs bedrooms, where I have my craft stuff & sewing machine. Since we close off the room in the winter, it'll be cooler than the rest of the house, but warmer than the basement, which should make it perfect for my AVs!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

That's wonderful !

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

My mail man came and I did not get my box of bargain violets :(( I called and Denis said the mailman forgot to pick-up Tuesday so they went out Wednesday . I hope I get it tomorrow as Monday there is no mail. It does not sound like there is any guarantee of arrival . I ordered 50 plants and pots crossing my fingers. He said he hopes my box gets here safe !
He is done, he has a few Ebay orders and that's it. He said there are about 200 African violet plants that will just freeze that it was a big greenhouse. He said at least he has a home to go and has taken what he can many trips to his home in VA. He will be hybridizing and selling Streptocarpus on Ebay under the name Neil's are his. He said its done over he will be going home.
The web sight is owned by Alice and her son runs it, he was supose to take it down a couple weeks ago but did not ....I will miss it and them and Alice too. Sad to see such a nice Greenhouse shut down :((
Ok now I am praying I get my box tomorrow or I'll be out of lot of money ??? I am so looking forward to the plants and seeing what I am getting I was sad when the mailman went by with no package for me :((
Lorry and Lauri did you get your boxes today ?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh wow, I am keeping my fingers crossed here for you! I had an amaryllis bulb reshipped that ended up taking 10 days to get here (arrived the Thursday before Christmas, during the 2 days we were actually here!), and I thought for sure it would be frost-blackened and mushy since we'd had single digit temps the week before.... but it looked just perfect! I hope you will have the same fortune, even if your box is delayed.

DRATS! mine didn't come either. BUT I did get some long awaited begonias that I got via ebay over a month ago. They wont ship in cold weather so I had to wait! So at least I have some plants to unpack.

Wonder why Dennis couldn't make a go of . Heck I would have taken those 200! Did something happen to Alice?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.