Bargain Violets

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I went out on a limb and bought 12 african violets from D & P greenhouse who are going out of business. I figured since I'm pretty new to the whole 'keep the AV alive' idea, it would be a fair gamble to spend
about $30 for a 'grab bag' of violets.
Well it seems that it was well worth the gamble. Here's a list of what came.

Anastasia
White Madonna
Jeanette
Buckeye Country Gal
Malakai
Irish Kiss (YEA!!)
Hearts a Glow
Apache Halo
Red Lantern
Apache Feathers
and
Christine and one more that I didn't write the name down yet. I'll go in the house and edit this post a bit later.
Here are some photos of them. Plus the new AV shelf where they are going. I just got this put together and got the new noid's planted into their self watering pots. Now I can look at the fish and violets when I wake up! Lights and heating mat have been ordered so that they will be happy campers. This is the new 'isolation' room where all new violets will go until deemed safe and healthy. I'll be putting leaves down in my 'experiment' as soon as the heat mat arrives.

Last one that I couldnt remember is Tiger

edited to change Leanette to Jeanette. And add Tiger to the list of new av's.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Here they are all out of their packaging.

Here's Anastasia (i think)

And finally, their new 'isolation booth'. It doesn't 'fit' the decor. But does fit the decorator!

On a side note, regarding the shape of the violets, all came with wicks in their pots. Some have what looks to be hard water (no, it's NOT powdery mildew) on the leaves. All were in bud or blooming, all in relatively good shape. The only caveat I would give is that they were all 'long necks' and need to be repotted, It seems like the lower leaves may have been removed for shipping, but I'm not sure. Not sure what to do here because some web sites say not to repot for a few weeks until the violet acclimates to it's new environment. But these are floppy and I've used some bamboo skewers to hold their necks up. I think (if you resident experts advise) I'll wait a few days and then repot into the same pot.

Thanks Ali for the links yesterday to the MSN site. They have a 'Newbie Nook' which has EXCELLENT info. One especially fit called ' Rejuvenating Long-Necked Plants' so I think I'll follow these instructions.
http://groups.msn.com/TheVioletVoiceTestSite/newbiesnook.msnw

That was an excellent link especially for leaf and flower types WITH PHOTOS!!! I'm such a visual learner that these kind of tutorials really work for me!

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Begonia,

Those are some great varieties!

For all of my new plants, I give them a good spraying with Dyna Gro Neem Oil. It is an absolutely wonderful product. It is not an instant kill, but if there are any bugs hiding out, it disrupts their entire life cycle. It is also a natural leaf shine and is a good alternative to other poisons (important to me with 3 young kids and 7 dogs). For a preventative, I spray all of my plants once a month. Since I began using it, I have not seen a mealy bug. Also, one of my orchids got a bad case of scale when it was outdoors over the summer and I sprayed it twice with Neem and scale is gone.

Enjoy all of your new plants!

Stephanie

Stephanie, what concentration do you use for AV's? I don't have Dyna Gro, but do have another (greenlight I think) brand of Neem which I dunked my new babies in the other day after seeing signs of Thrips.

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Begonia,

If it makes you feel any better, I never wait the suggested period of time to repot my gessies. Especially those from Rob's because his soil is so much heavier than the soil I use. I used to lose about 1/2 of the plants that I bought from him because I didn't repot right away. I usually repot as soon as I possibly can. It also gives you an opportunity to see if there are any soil mealies hanging out. Since you already see a neck, it may be a good time to repot anyway so that the plant will grow well.

I hope some others join in with the amount of time they wait to repot.

Stephanie

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Begonia,

Is greenlight "pure" Neem oil, because I think the concentrations for mixture are different. I just grabbed my bottle and it is 1 tsp per quart of water. I also always use very warm water when spraying so no spots.

For thrips, I know a lot of people who swear by generic RID (yes, what's normally used for lice). You can also starve the thrips by removing ALL blossoms (I know it's hard to remove those beautiful blooms, but worth it in the long run).

Good luck...Stephanie

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's the formulation for RID:

1/2 tsp RID per quart of warm water and spray every 5-7 days for 3 weeks.

Yes, not sure if you followed the thread where I bought those four new beauties and VT asked what was the dust, I innocently said 'pollen' and she said 'thrips' more than likely, so off with their heads! I'll try and find the link...
here it is
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/557307/

so everyone is 'flowerless' and doing just great. Even with the rose systemic at half strength. Never sure about using something like that on houseplants.

They're all going to get neem dunked again today.

Hey, what about them eggs? Are more violets gonna hatch out of those? :+))

Seriously, looks like ye got a good bargain! Nice going! Sorry the place had to go out of business, though.

I went to the big flower show in Philadelphia one year, and a couple of big supermarkets that have flower departments had big booths there. I kinda thought it was unfair that the supermarkets were allowed to be there, when only a teeny percentage of their profits come from flowers, and when they are putting small florists and nurseries outa business.

Oh well, it weren't my decision to make, and maybe I was wrong...

It's what we small towners call 'Wal Mart' syndrome.

My girls layed the eggs. I have about 20 hens, most of those are from my bantys.

I am so glad to live out here in the country where we can get fresh eggs from friends for $1 a dozen! The differinx betwanxt mass-produced aigs and country fresh aigs from hens allowed to run free is phenomenal!

WalMart and all those big stores are starting to do some crazy things---crazy enough to cause my wife and I to boycott 'em! We may not be able to shop anywhere soon! :+O

We're lucky too, we live on a 7 acre ranch with horses, dogs (4), barn and house cats (11 I think, 2 strays), chickens and a big veggie garden. Some day we'll build on another piece we have about 30 minutes from here. It's 40 acres in the hills, tons of water from artesian springs and year round creeks. Big pasture, great view. Just need a big bag of $$ to build the dream home.

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Where do you guys get this oil?
I have the hardest time finding some of the things you all mention :)

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

You can get Dyna Gro Pure Neem Oil from www.wormsway.com. I like Dyna Gro because it is pure and safe enough to use for other purposes. The oil comes from a tree. Do a google search some time and find out how amazing the stuff is!

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Begonia,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with an abundance of pets! We raise Poms and sometimes have 10-11 dogs. Whew...lots of work. The 40 acres sounds like a paradise. We have 4 acres and, let me tell you that I'm not liking the mowing thing one bit! I'm planning a pond at this time and am going to have someone come out and help me plan it so we don't have quite so much to mow! Fortunately (or unfortunately), I don't work anymore and seem to get stuck doing all the "fun stuff" like mowing, etc.

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the link!
Also..do you spray this directly on the foliage? and if so....do you do it at night to make sure they dont' get light when wet?

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree with you about the eggs persevere. We sometimes get lucky and are able to buy from a farm. Otherwise, I buy only "free-range" eggs. Very expensive, but better for the chickens and us!!

Stephanie

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Chris_Lorry,

Yes, I spray directly on the foliage (it's also a natural leaf shine so that is a bonus!). I mix up two quarts at a time in my sprayer. Make sure you use warm water so as to not leave spots. I also do it during the day when it's the warmest. With Neem Oil, what is not used when mixed, discard as it does not keep well.

Good luck!

Stephanie

did you know, that the super market eggs you buy are up to 3 months old when you buy them. We can't do hard boiled eggs with our fresh eggs because the membrane sticks to the egg making it nearly impossible to peel without taking some of the egg with it. I just date some and put them in the back of the fridge for 3 or more weeks so I can boil them.
And yes, you can tell the difference. Our yolks are almost orange they are so yellow. Not at all anemic looking. We feed ours a vegetarian diet and toss them all the left over greens from cooking or from the garden. I also toss them all the slugs and snails I pick out of the garden. I know...I know.. slug murder, but the chickens love them.

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Slugs deserve to be murdered! You should see what some big, fat disgusting ones did to one of my exotic hibiscus last summer!

Edited to add: I'm usually not a violent person! :)

Then edited for grammar!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 3:26 PM

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 3:26 PM

PlantMom,

We have a pond that is about 1/3 of an acre on our 2.75 acres. One thing to pay CLOSE attention to is SILTING,(and of course doing the job right the FIRST time.) If you are planning to have a pond of any size, do everything you can to PREVENT silt coming into the pond---berms, a second, smaller, collecting pond, whatever it takes. And MAKE SURE the dam is done properly, and NEVER let water-loving trees grow on the dam.

I just had to have my pond redug because of a leak in the dam and because of it silting in till it resembled more of a swamp than a pond. I can't do a whole lot about keeping silt out because the previous owner put the pond so close to the neighbor's property line.

It is EXPENSIVE to have a pond redug and to have the dam repacked! So please make sure you are working with someone who knows what they're doing, and get it done RIGHT. It will be WORTH IT.

Best with it!

Begonias and Plantmom, I am not fond of slugs, either. Used to drown hundreds of them in dishes of beer near my tomato plants. Here is a snail joke for you. (A snail is just a hard-shelled slug):

One night, a man was sitting in his living room, reading a book, when he heard a knock on his door. He got up and answered it, but saw no one. Then he looked down and saw a snail. "Stupid snail!" he said, and he picked it up and flung it into the bushes.

Three years later, the man is sitting in his living room, reading a book, when there is a knock at his door. He answers it, and the slug is there, and it says to him, indignantly, "What was THAT all about?!"

:+))

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 4:10 PM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Begonia wonderful plants ! You made out well super selction :))
I have always wanted " Anastasia " and I sure like Buckeye Country Girl. I'm glad you got an Irish I know you like them ! Did you order them or did you go there ? They are wonderful your so luckt. Thanks, for sharing your always beautiful pictures.

Consider Anastasia leaves yours! and any others.

here's the ebay link. The prices $1 each, plus shipping. Shipping isn't bad. Figure it ends up about $1.25 each to ship. So pretty good price for nice varieties.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7732089183&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr2_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

The Iris Kiss is blooming too but I couldnt get a good photo. the flash washed it out.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh Begonia gorgeous. I have Irsih Flirt and Irish Angel, and Irish Paradise for you :)) And any others you want. Thanks for all the ones I'm getting from you :))
This forum is has the kindess hearts and abundance of sharing I have never seen before. Your all wonderful. Thanks BBegoinia your plants are all beautiful :)) Allison

Ali, what is your two cents on repotting them right now? They are a floppy, some more than others, and I think they may do better than just hanging out with bamboo sticks holding them up. ALSO, I am trying to fill in some culture info and wondered if you can look it up on FC?

Don't want to be a pest on the look up stuff, but now that I have my notebook started, I'm trying to keep the culture info up to date. (no, not at all obsessive compulsive! LOL)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

i think if the plant comes and it's messy, dirty , dirt all over out of the pot, wobbly sticks holding up necks and so on with reason like this I would feel comfortable re-potting them and grooming and cleaning them up as needed. Maybe even putting some leaves down.
Did you mean you want the descriptions and so on the plants ? Sure I'd love to do it !

check your email. I just need the info on a few, the others I found via the web.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

1 Anastasia reg. 7936 10/08/1993 S. Soran Large growing
Semidouble pale blue two-tone pansy . Medium green, plain.
2. White Madonna ( beautiful growing Vintage. I have a blooming plant set aside for MsC)
Reg. 670 05/14/1953 Everdom Standard
Double white girl foliage Standard
3. Jeanette oh my by Volkman can I have lvs from this one too pretty please :))
Jeanette by Volkman Standard
Semidouble Fuchsia red/white ruffled edge. Dark green.
4. Buckeye Country Gal
#8883 08/10/2000 P. Hancock Larger
Semidouble light fuchsia large ruffled pansy/variable lavender purple fantasy. Variegated dark green, pink and cream . heart-shaped, glossy, serrated/red back.
5. Malakai ( have not fount yet )Ok here ist is ?
MAGNOLIA it was on the web sight where you bought them from ? so maybe ??
MAGNOLIA (M.Burns/ R. Nadea 09/20/1986 Large 6378 -Semidouble- Double light pink. Black green, , ovate, pointed, glossy, , pebbles, red/back ..

6. Irish Kiss 7314 03/02/1990 S. Sorano Standard
Semidouble-double white pansy /variable green top petals,
Variegated medium green, plain.

7. Hearts Aglow 8516 11/09/1996 S. Sorano Standard ( Spelling is Hearts Aglow ) Semidouble fuchsia star/ivory blush. Dark green, quilted/red back.

8. Red Lantern 8550 11/09/1996 S. Sorano Standard
Semidouble red large star /white edge Dark green, plain.
9. Apache Feathers 6361 01/24/1986 Gorgeous :))
By J. Munk Standard.
Single light lavender sticktite /darker edge. Vareigated green, white and pink , pointed.

10. Christine Gorgeous I thought I sent you one but must have sent it to Jannich ...Wonderful plant,
7057 01/18/1989 B Bryant Large growing
Semidouble-double medium pink two-tone pansry/darker eye white-green ruffled edge. Variegated dark green, pink, and white, heart-shaped , glossy, wavy, scallped, serrated.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 7:45 PM

thanks! Ali, will update my notebook.

I'm going back in the house to check on that tag Malakai. It doesn't seem right.

of course you can have Jeanette. any thing you want.

I'll get better photos after I repot and re wick (some had green mold and I want to try and not propagate mold, so I'll rinse the pots in bleach before I repot and then rewick. Nice project for this yucky rainy day we're having. Even with the heater running, my 'playhouse' (aka office) is only 65º. Brrrrrr.

I'll be repotting in the house. Nice and toasty with the fireplace going!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Yes it was low 40 here today high 65 , rain no sun and cold. The heat running all day. No I think I'd get rid of the grrn mold to and bleach up everything good. Excellent plants your lucky ! Happy Goriwng !

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh begonia..I got a couple in my shipment today with irish in the name!!!!
I will be posting a list of the 40 varieties they sent me! He said they were gifts ..the other 15 for a large order!
I can't wait to share them with everyone

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh and I would be interested
in the green and white flower one and the lavendar one if you have extra leaves of those.
Is that irish Kiss?
What is the lavendar one called?

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok not to sound stupid ..but what does a neck mean?
and how does one deal with it?

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Persevere,

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it after the Chiefs' humiliating loss today!

Stephanie

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Stephanie talk about it the Tampabay bucks lost. They may as well of stayed home . 0 to 28 . Bucs had a big ZERO :((

Nevada, MO(Zone 6a)

Allison,

I watched the Bucs today. I know only too well your pain. At least the Bucs are still in the hunt, aren't they? The Chiefs pretty much have to wait until next year. A long, long year... :)

Stephanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.