Can any one help w/ germinating Bauhinia?

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I have tried many, many times to germinate Bauhinia w/ no success.

I use commercial potting soil. I have pre-soaked & scarified; scarified w/o pre-soak; pre-soak w/o scarification -any help would be appreciated.

I have never had such a difficult time. I seem to end up w/ moldy seeds.

Thank you.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Have you tried H202 ? [ hydrigen Procide soak ? ] Do a search there is a lot on it here .

No I had never heard that one, will try and will also do a search, thank you.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Have you tried germinating them in a paper towel over warmth? If you haven't, you wet and wring out a paper towel, put the seeds in it (with space in between each seed), fold gently closed, put inside a baggie. Leave the bag open and put on a heating pad set on low or medium (not too hot). Check germination daily. I have gotten good results with other tropicals this way.

I tried germinating in a paper towel, but not w/ the addition of heat- that seems like a great idea too. Thank you also for another suggestion I will try.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Try stratification (plant them outside in pots). Alot of our perennials down here like it (such as Hinckley's yellow Columbine, clemitis picherii (sp?), rock rose (pavonia lasiopetala), tecoma stans, bluebonnets, echinacea tenneesseensis), and monarda. Now I've never tried your plant but if you have tried everything else...put a few seeds out in a pot and see what happens. It works with alot of other stuff down here. I've got all kinds of flats and pots out now. Just water them if we don't get any rain.

That's not a bad idea - I keep thinking it can't be that difficult because they propagate in "the wild" without any special help from humans!
Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.