Homalocadium Platydadum or Lucky Ribbon Plant

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I got this plant in the Spring. It's doing quite well in the house. I saw someone on ebay has it for sale and they show a picture of it with little tiny flowers.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

What a neat plant! Where did you get it? Local nursery...Home Depot?? Love the name "platydadum".

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks! I can't remember for sure. I think it was at a local nursery.

I saw one of these in a greenhouse and decided that I had to get it becuase I love oddities. I didn't, though because it looks like something that might be affected by humidity levels. I have such a hard time controling the humidity in my house. Darn desert climate! ; ) In the summer it's so nice to have the dry heat and no sweat, but I have to go to great lengths to provide humidity for my plants. Does humidity seem to be an issue with your plant? Cause if it's not...I might have to go back to the nursery and get one.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I have mine upstairs by a window. It's getting the moisture from the other plants around.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hey jess,

Isn't Roswell the "alien" place??? That's so cool!

Yes, Roswell is the alien place. It's pretty interesting living here, not because of the locals, becuase at heart we're like any other small town...work, grocery shopping, church, mow the lawn...What makes the place so wierd to live in sometimes is the tourists and visitors it draws because of the whole "incident." UFO fanatics from all over the world come to visit and it's common to see a tourist walking down the street with a tin foil hat or spouting some wierd theory about how John Wayne is really an alien and they were abducted once and met him. LOL. So, for locals, we live a normal life, and fanatics flock here expecting an alien mecca and are more than a little funny. About the tin foil hat and the John Wayne thing...it happened to me. I went to the video to rent a movie once and there was a tourist outside the doors that wouldn't let me in until I heard his John Wayne alien theory. You really have to take everything with a grain of salt, so to speak, if you live here.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL What is it about tinfoil and crazy people??? I used to work with the mentally ill. Tinfoil keeps away all government and alien "rays". I am from Memphis so we had the Elvis wierdos. Here in New Orleans, it's vampires and voodoo. I''m sure you guys really draw the more eclectic members of our society though. All of those "abductees" that have been "probed"...

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL!! Seen all the movies.....makes me wonder!!

I had a nice sized Homolocladium platycladum a few years back...it got scale....they loved it, I tried to combat them....it croaked.

But I recently got a rooted cutting in a trade...hope it grows up to be like yours, Donna....it's a really nice one!!

I never found humidity to be an issue at all with this plant, jessmerritt...it was pretty easy to grow....just don't let it totally dry out.

So....*I* suggest you get back there and get it!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Nan.

Yes, thank you Nan.

Jess

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.