Heather as a houseplant

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought the prettiest Heather today. I have wanted one for a long time but never got one because it is considered a perennial, although the tag said that it could be kept inside as a houseplant. But it was just so pretty and I had to have it. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to care for it? What type of soil? How much water? Any information would really be appreciated. Thank you. I am posting a photo of it. I think it is so pretty.

JesseK

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know too much about how to care for it, but I got a plant that looked just like yours a couple years ago over the holidays and kept it as a houseplant--it bloomed for a long time and seemed to do pretty well indoors until I forgot to water it a few too many times during the summer (most of my houseplants at the time were cacti, so it was easy to forget watering). I don't think it needs tons of water but don't let it dry out like I did. I kept mine in the pot it came in from the store, just removed the paper wrapping because I was afraid it was going to hold in some water and might make the roots rot.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i killed mine the same way -not enough water!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your advice. I am going to repot it in some regular MG potting mix and I will make sure that I keep it watered. I have also killed some the same way. I have mostly cacti and succulents also so I need to make sure that I keep this where I will remember to water it.

JesseK

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That's a lovely plant!

They also need rather 'cool' conditions to thrive indoors, especially if you have your heat turned on.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for telling me that. I will make sure that it does not sit too close to the heater. I have wanted one of these plants for such a long time and I hope to keep it looking good.

JesseK

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

JesseK, Very delicate and pretty.

Try to keep it on the cool side, especially at night and don't let it dry right out.

Joan

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

That makes sense - think of moors it comes from! Heathcliff!!!!!!

Anita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.