Yeesh!! "houseplants4less," oh, REALLY??

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Was surfing, looking for the rhoeo tradescantia bermudensis variegata plant this AM.....this is one of the sites where I looked. "For less?" I think not!! Just couldn't believe their pricing!!

http://houseplants4less.com/plantstore/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/356?osCsid=532037967c283a30efc647ffe902c63d

In Shock,
MKJ

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ya i went to check it out and said hey this isnt a bargain!!!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I always thought they were pretty high to, I like to look through their site have never purchased anything.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The prices are way to high. I would love to see the buyers list. I bet it's short.
Patti

This message was edited Dec 2, 2005 9:22 AM

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

No kidding, Patti! As I was surfing it (it is a pretty site), I was wondering, "Um, just how MUCH of this stuff DO they sell....at those golden prices?!"

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I was checking out that site a while back....and I had to laugh and moved on pretty quickly!

When I was looking at it....they didn't even have anything 'out of the ordinary', and wanted 3 times as much for them as WM or HD, for example.

I'm wondering what they're thinking......'for less' than *whom or what*??

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Just A Small Message For Those Who Say Our Prices Are To High.
I Have Worked Very Hard To Give Our Customers More Than Their Monies Worth.
You See - When You Buy A Plant From The Other Cheap Sites Out There, Then You Get A Small Clipping Of A Plant That Was Just Started.
If Thats All You Are Looking For Then Great
But If You Want A Nice Full Plant That You Would Not Be Ashamed To Give As A Gift Or Show Off Then Our Plants Are The Way To Go.
Do Not Take My Word -- Use The Garden Watch dog And See What Others Are Saying. Sales Are Not As Much As They Could be But I Am Making A Living Doing Something I Love And Helping Lots Of Gardeners World Wide.

We Package Our Plants In Nice Boxes With Biodegradable Peanuts - And We Care - Thats The Major Difference... You Buy A Plant From Walmart And Or Lowes And Home Depot And thats It.
I Have Lots Of Ways To Help Our Customers After The Sale.
I Try To Answer The Forums Once A Day Just In case, And I Have A database Loaded With House Plant Information And Articles On All Gardening.----Added To Weekly ----
I Have Lots Of Bills That Go With The Site And Ads All Over --They Are Not Free.

Now To Give You Some Inside Information.

Anyone Can Get A 10% Discount Just By Making an Account In The Plant Store And Then Email Me With The Information And I Will Add It To Their Account. This Is Not A lot But It Helps Some.
Also, If You Have A Web Site You Can Join Our Affiliate Program And Get 10% More As Well As Make 5% Of The People That Join Under You.

Another Thing Is That As Long As You Are Our Customer And Signed Up To The Site You Will Get Unheard Of Opportunities. We Have Sales Five To Six Times A Year And Only The Ones I Email Know When And What So At least Keep Visiting.

Now As For The Plants Not Being Out Of The ordinary -- Try To Find Some Of The Plants We Carry - I Did And Its Not Happening On Lots Of The Ones We Have So I Have No Clue Where That came From.

I Am Sorry Anyone Feels That Way But Buy One And You Will Be Back...Lots Of Others Already Are.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, dear........sorry we've offended you, bkeziah. I am still of the opinion that you're terribly expensive for the what-I-have-found-to-be-common plants that your site offers. Perhaps your site name is the problem? It leads one to believe that you're a "bargain" site--if, rather, you're selling upgrade sizes of plants, you could rename to that effect. Just a suggestion.

MKJ

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm not a vindictive person, either, and didn't mean to offend....but "where that came from" (no out of the ordinary plants)....well....it came from me...it's my opinion!

I was completely lead to believe that you were a 'bargain site', as MKJ indicated, by your name.

As far as I'm concerned, personally....your plants are not out of the ordinary.....but I guess I'm a discerning 'collector', and sorry if it hurts, but I didn't pay as much for them as you are charging.
But....that's just me.....perhaps someone else would find something they consider out of the ordinary on your website.

I'm sure you do and have worked hard, and good for you, you deserve respect for that. I'm glad to hear that your plants are nice and full rather than simply cuttings....Kudos to you for that, too, and it's good information to have.
I give you credit for all that you do and have done.....and apologize for offending you in that way.

You do have a nice website (nicely laid-out, good photos) and a nice overall selection - perhaps for someone with a smaller collection than I....but..... just not for me, and, quite frankly.... your name *is* misleading.

I suggest too that you find a name that emphasizes your quality and customer service (as you did above) rather than your prices.

I'm sure that's "easier said than done", but it might eliminate comments such as those made.

Good luck to you.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2005 12:32 PM

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks To All Of You And I Am Not Offended In Any Way. I Just Wanted To Give My Thoughts.
Thanks For The Suggestions Also.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree with Mkjones and Nan. My opinions if it was my website site I would change the name. I was offended to be honest. I was thinking, do I look crazy ? I (as a consumer) am looking for quality and low cost. I have compared shopping to allot of these plants, and I can get them for much less somewhere else.

I am sorry if I have offended you. It is not my intention at all.
Patti

This message was edited Dec 12, 2005 11:45 AM

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm glad that you visited the forum, bkeziah.....it's nice to know that some of the nursery owners are out there 'perusing' the forums that their customers (or potential customers) frequent.

Wishing you success......

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I second that, Nan! It's great that nursery owners seek to find out what we're thinking/wanting. =)

(Zone 7b)

An interesting thread indeed - gives you an idea of how different people use the same word to mean 2 completely different things!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have followed this thread also....today i went to the garden watch dog and read all the good feedback. Went back to the site and looked around again.

In order for me to see the plants as a bargain they are going to have to be the HUGEST plants ever. Because you can get alot of hanging baskets for 10.00
I sell perennials(give more away than i sell) and I sell them by the clumps $7.00
or already potted 5.00gallon pots or 5 for $20 and everyone seems pleased. I feel that these are a bargain,bigger than most nurseries offer.
I gave a lady 150 potted plants this fall for 50.00 they need some TLC.
we were both happy!

You do have quiet a list of plants and several I would like to get. your clearance sale looks inviting and mysterious! Maybe after Christmas.....but its the kids turn now! :-)

Thats my 2cents!

(Zone 7b)

which is actually worth 4!

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

notmartha......."its the kids turn now!" I'm having to remember the same thing..lol. Yesterday found the GREATEST new begonia book....forced myself to wait 'til after Christmas. It's killing me........;-)

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I never go totally by what the Garden Watchdog says.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2005 9:51 AM

(Zone 7b)

Even if the entries for a company are more negative than positive?
I think that would put me off...

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

No, I mean if they are all 100% positive I still look and decide for myself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.