cucumber beetles

I posted this in garden talk and got no replies, but I think it is more appropriate here. Have to get used to this marvellous forum! I'm referring to those pesky little yellow jobs with black stripes. They are decimating my cucumber patch! It has been all out war! I grab them when I can (when they're groggy from their coupling!) throw them to the ground and stomp on them! I can't believe I'm doing this considering my love of nature and all living creatures. But there you have it. Absolutely no mercy for these particular critters who are riddling the cuke leaves with holes and turning them into skeletons. Haven't even seen a flower yet, let alone a cuke. Am I alone or are there others out there facing the same battle?

Lyndeborough, NH

Almost everyone has cuke beetles. 3 differnt types.

Folks use the squish to Sevin methods on getting the under control..

Byron

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

light dusting with gound limestone will discourage them from eating the cuke leaves. sevin or rotenone sprays work if you are not gardening strictly organically.

Lancaster, CA

If I avoid my beloved tomatillos I have no cuke beetles for some reason. they don't like my cukes. I always grow the cukes surrounding (almost) by melons. Does that confuse the beetles. This year as usual the 3 cukes (together) were surrounded by various melons. Had a new tomatillo variety to try so it was in the best bed doing very well too, when over night (it seemed) every leaf was either missing or riddled like swiss cheese. Blossoms have chewed. Heart breaking....Grabbed most of em and threw them in a bucket of soapy water. They tried to climb out so I put the lid on :).

They can't realize the cukes are there. Burpee pickler this year, the first time I've grown that one.

Go figure

(Zone 6a)

when we set out the cuke plants we cover them with a floating row cover.
we leave it on until the the plants start to bloom, than remove it.
this keeps the cuke beetles off the plants until the are ready to set fruit.
you will find by the time the cukes beetles arrive to the newly uncovered plants the plants are a nice size, & better able to produce a nice harvest.
also as a backup- after you uncover the plants, dust with Sevin weekly.
as Byron says this will keep them under control.
good luck.
Don

I've went to mostly container gardening this year. The JB's were thriving on my Redbud trees,but not on my veggies'I like to "companion plant" I grow Burpee's hybrid bush cucs and put onions in with them,no JB's,none at all' I gave up sevin and use something my family have used for many generations. Before chemicals came along,don't laugh,ok,go ahead,don't mind' My baking flour' Bugs cannot digest it and die' Works'

Lyndeborough, NH

Kikisdad, FY Rotenone is an Organic accepted pesticide,
However the 5% version is the deadliest pesticide available for gardeners.

I use a 200 year old tobacco tea and dishsoap formula that
works great and doesn't kill my beneficials.

Byron

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.