Seeds on eBay?

I'm hoping it's alright to ask this question, and to ask it on this board.

This was my first year really gardening. I didn't start anything from seeds and I'd like to increase my seed collection so I'll have plenty to play with next year. 99% of the seeds I have came from DG members, and I never knew how much FUN it would be to look through the seeds and plan and dream about where I'll plant all this stuff next year. Finances are tight this time of year (for everyone, I know), so I'm looking to find good seeds at a low price, if possible. Is eBay a good place to get them? Are there any sellers on eBay that you've gotten seeds from that you trust and would recommend? Is there a retail site that I could get them from that has good prices? There are a few specifics I'm looking for, but for the most part I'd just like MORE! LOL

Thanks for your help!
RG

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Ebay's a mixed bag. Some sellers are great, but I'm afraid I've seen some real frauds, both intentional and unintentional. You'll find seeds listed as heirlooms that aren't, others being called RARE when you can find dozens of other sources and many with names that the seller made up.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Try this link.
http://www.valueseeds.com/index.html?er=google;term=value+seeds

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Did you try posting a wish list on the trade forum, so many times lots of us have way more than we will ever need of something either from a purchase, a trade, or our own gardens.

Here's another thought, if you decide to make a couple of special purchases, purchase a couple of packs or a larger packet and trade off the exess for something else you want.

I have a Winter Sown trade list on the Upper Midwest Gardening forum, I'd be glad to send you whatever you might like for a SABE. Legit

Agrinerd, I suppose seeds on eBay are like anything else on eBay. You take your chances and sometimes get a deal and sometimes get ripped off. Thanks for your input!

luvs, thanks for the link. I had found that but was not sure about them. I've since done some reading about them and think I'll give them a try.

Legit, I'll head over now to take a look at your trade list. Thanks for the offer. I may get a list ready for the trade forum, too.

RG

westport, Ireland

I have exactly the same problem here (here being a new house and large garden in the wilds of West Ireland) re source for cheap seeds. One of my pals in California has just discovered valueseeds.com - he swears by them. Unfortunately they don't send outside the States.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pinetree Garden Seeds run about 1/3 the price of Parks for the exact same seeds. Just an observation I've made.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Worthy, maybe you could use a 3rd party to order for you and then forward the seeds to you ? Is there a legal reason that could not be done ? Happy Thanksgiving all !! Margo

westport, Ireland

Great idea Margo!! My pal in California owes me a "few" favours!!! I can't see any legal reason why he can't - but hey, who is listening (apart from a few hundred on the forum of course.)
Any way, thanks for the good idea.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree that buying seeds on eBay would be like buying anything else on eBay, could be great, could be horrible. However, I have ordered seeds on eBay and it was a wonderful experience. Anyone who is interested can d-mail me for the name of the individual I purchased from. I have no ties with them and I won't get any specail discounts or anything like that if I send business their way. I don't even know if I'll be ordering from them again anytime soon since I've gotten so much good stuff from folks on DG and at a great plant swap.

If you do buy seeds on eBay at least try to find someone who has a lot of great feedback from selling seeds. Then order as many seeds from them at one time as you can, that saves a lot on shipping. Don't settle for feedback that just says "fast shipping" or stuff like that. Look for "great germination rate" and that type of thing. Anyone can sell seeds that are too old or not ripe enough to germinate, make sure you're getting good seeds.

Hope that helps some.
Heather

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Good points. Feel free to D-mail me for the ones that I did well by too.

I've checked out Pinetree Garden, and may order some from them, too. Glad you're getting your seeds, worthy.
Agrinerd, I'm dmailing you for that information.
Thanks all!
RG

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Grocoseeds sells on ebay and I've bought from them and off their website www.grocoseeds.com. They don't have alot of different varieties, but they are trustworthy and affordable.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I usually have plenty of seed left over and am always happy to send for .60 postage if you're not picky as to what type and selection varies. Some packets may have only a few seeds but enough to get you started.
Jan...

I'm not picky at all. I'll dmail you, Jan.
RG

Myrtle Beach, SC

Budgielover, I would love any of your extra seeds. In the Spring if you would like Brug cuttings in trade I will have about 40 or more different trees I can I send you pieces of. I can provide you a list later in January. Many are cuttings I traded for in October and November and are in the rooting process right now. I'm not looking for any specific seeds but if you have any double or triple daturas I would like those. Otherwise, I just love surprises. Merry Christmas with love to all, Margo

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Margo,
Just send me a Bubble envelope with postage and I'll send you a surprise package.
Jan...

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

2 seed sellers I'd highly recommend:

josam5- lots of great stuff- most for a dollar and $1.50 unlimited shipping

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjosam5QQhtZ-1

and thebutterflyranch (currently not selling anything)

Buyers I'd watch out for are salvia350 and globalseedshop. My buy from globalseedshop went well except they never answered any of my questions, but going through other people's feedback, I've noticed this seller leaves NASTY feedback and picks fights if there's the slightest problem.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Actually, I've purchased from salvia350 and was very happy with what I received. I have recommended her to others. I guess it's to each their own.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I bought from Salvia350 and was happy with what I got, but poor germination rate compared to valueseeds and some other brands a few years old, and walmart brand.. even seeds out of my own garden had a much better germination rate. I wouldn't be a return customer.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The only seeds I've ever had come up (I'm sure it's my fault, not the seeds in the other cases!) I bought on eBay from mpfarina2220. I just bought some more from them, too. They are starting a new retail seed website, but it isn't up yet (they sent a little slip of paper about it with the seeds I ordered this year.) www.seedpack.com

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I've bought from Onalee and Elgringo on Ebay, their seeds were good and they're both nice people to deal with.

Myrtle Beach, SC

I've bought from Elgringo also. Very good transaction. Fast delivery also. Hurry up Spring !! God bless all, Margo

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

The only seed seller I would buy from again on e-bay is:
www.cheapseeds.com

I have been sent seeds with "bugs", been sent crushed seeds (sent in plain envelopes) and have had orders sent with less seeds than were stated. I ordered most of my seeds this year from [HYPERLINK@www.ValueSeeds.com.
Love the prices, they are fast and have a great assortment.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've ordered seeds off eBay from several different sellers and I only feel like I got ripped off by one seller. I purchased single color Gerbera seeds and after having seen a photo of a viable seed from a Gerbera I feel like I have an envelope of chaff. I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, they may not even know what the true seed looks like. They should since they are selling them but in reality:) well, you know. value seed is part of T&M and the seeds are machine packaged in foil packets. I always look at feedback and how negatives were responded to. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.