How about a Florida Forum Banner?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, The states all have or are getting quarters and I noticed the Texas Forum has a bluebonnet banner, although in my 30 years there, (the first 30), I saw them only one or two times.
Lets think outside the box here.
I remember the first time I saw a herd of cattle under Palm trees and had to pull off the road to laugh.
I think it would be most interesting to have a composite of several things instead of just one plant on our banner.
What do my fellow Floridians think?
After we talk it over for a while, we can ask Paulwest to give us some proofs to pick from.
Sidney

Sydney, I've been thinking the same thing. Our state flower is the Citrus flower, pretty but not too showy. If we had smellainternet (made up word) then it would be a knockout because the smell is heavenly. I agree with you, we could have some kind of composite picture that showcases the diversity we have.
The PF only has a couple of pictures of the Citrus sinensis flowers.
Lets se what the rest of Floridians think.
Val

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

Although I am not currently a Florida gardener, I could help put that banner together. I am a bit of a whiz at photoshop. Here's what I suggest: get your images together and d-mail them to me. I'll see what I an do from there and submit them for approval.

Sylvain.

You are too a Floridian, to-be. That sounds like a great idea Sylvain. I sure hope to learn how to use my Photo programs.
Sidney

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

That sounds like a neat idea! Dont forget we need a gator, some flamingo, maybe an ibis, egret or crane. Definately some palm trees! A beach, too!

Thumbnail by AnaM149
Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is my favorite beach pic. I took this at Venice Beach in May 2005. The first is Madeira Beach also in May 2005.

Thumbnail by AnaM149

Sylvain, start saving.
;)

Hi.

I just wrote this on the SF Galloping Gardeners forum:

It's now official. We'll be arriving in Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 4th at around 11:30. I'll start saving the various pictures you guys send me. We should have something interesting eventually. Here is one of my favourite pictures, taken at Lloyd's beach in Hollywood.

Hang on thight, South Florida: The Polar Bear is on his way.¸

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I am a native Floridian, and will be spending the winter back in FL.

As a Native who has been away many years, I think of the Glades, rows of citrus trees, sugar cane, beaches, sandpipers, egrets, white brahama cattle with their humps, sponge fishing and much more. How to get a good cross-section of such a long state with several zones in one image?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I think that we will need two banners......

six, gwafhahaha.
;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

sugar.....you're silly

Yes, six sounds more like it, LOL!

High powered drugs, lol. You two are fast!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's what my husband says.......hehehe

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

'gators, Hurricanes, Seminoles, panthers, manatees, dolphins, disney. daytona, sunshine,
beaches, boating, everglades, springs with mermaids, Shamu, scenic bridges, the keys,
crystal clear rivers, Nasa's space center, and beautiful year round gardens at the theme parks
are just a few of the things I associate with Florida.

edited to fit wide screen laptops et al LOL...sorry 'bout that

HOKAY, comma space, there are now spaces after all the commas, which is incorrect according to a technical writing course I once took at work but anything to conform ya know.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2005 10:08 PM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2005 10:12 PM

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 9:30 PM

hey, KK's dad, put in some spaces in your post after the comma's... it's running off the page!

Hi.

I've been playing with Photoshop this morning. How's this for a logo? Or do you really mean a banner that would take the full width of the screen?

Sylvain

I don't think that will fit dave's format, but the thought is good.

I have d-mailed Kikisdad to come back and fix this. I hope he shows up soon!!!!
Sidney

This message was edited Nov 17, 2005 3:38 PM

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Sylvain,
That is sooooo cool! I especially love the hurricane touch!

Bear (Sylvain), I forgot to post, but it's a great composite. Like Ana, I love the hurricane "touch" LOL.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Darius, what do you mean about the commas? and what's this with running off the screen? I have seen this said on other forums.. And good morning to all.
Sylvain....that's very pretty, but I think it will have to fit Dave's format.

Hap

Hap, KK's original post had NO spaces after the commas so Dave's programming thought it was one very long word and it made the screen very wide. He has fixed it!

No, it's still too wide!!!

Hmmm. sidney... it's not too wide on my screen, but my screen is 17"...

I see he didn't put spaces after all the commas.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you......I knew you would know.....hehehe

Mine's only 15.5, and the difference is just a tad, definately better than yesterday.
Sidney

Lours, that's a nice banner, but I'm not sure if it will conform to Dave's format. The hurricane is an appropiate touch for this state LOL.

Val

Val, Hap, Darius and others who have remarked on this: could someone please tell me what this "Dave's format" is. Everyone around here seems to know about it. I'll be glad to conform to it.You don't know me yet but I'm a "have format, will fit a picture into it" kinda guy.

In an effort to sell the house, we are having an Open House today and tomorrow afternoon here . I have to go tidy up the house and give it that decorator's concept look. Heaven forbid it should look a real-life, lived-in, working, everyday person's home.

I cordially hate these ugly people with their snotty rugrats who traipse all over in with wet shoes. I call them tire kickers when they're gone. They invariably relish talking about motif, flow, palette, genre, feng shui and all that you hear on these cursed specialized TV stations. As you read on, please remember that I am not making this up.

Most of them can't afford the mailbox. Suddenly everyone's a decorator and you're expected to be nice and play along. You never know, one of them might be a serious buyer. They ask questions like: "Would you say that wall's colour is winter fawn, latté foam, toasted mushroom or bleached cinnamon? I grin and think "IT'S BEIGE, you insufferable fool; BE GONE, already". I smile and answer something like "It depends on the season, the lighting, the time of day". Thank The Allmighty for Crest Whitestrips!

They say: "That wall has got to go." Again, I grin and I think "Once you buy the house and I've been paid, honey, you can torch the place for all I care".

We had one last weekend who walked about the house with yer arms extended in front of her, making a screen with her hands like movie directors do (see picture). I asked her if she intended to shoot movies here. She looked at me with that blank stare one only finds in goldfish contemplating the immensity of the universe. She pointed her nose to the ceiling and left: good riddance.

Don't even get me started on feng shui officianados who walk about with a compass in their hand like they're afraid to get lost. The house isn't that big, darling. We never lost a guest in 27 years here.

Another idiot walked about with a crystal pendulum in his hand and insisted on complete silence while he concencentrated on the energy patterns. Again, I grin and think "We have electrical outlets in every room, Sherlock. How's that for energy patterns?".

I don't suffer fools gladly. You meet legions of them when you try to sell your house. Even worse: you can't pull out a shotgun and put these people out of their misery. I'll be so glad when the cocooning and hiving fads have given way to something else like sausage making, gourd carving or just plain navel contemplation.

Take care, all. I have got to go apply another Crest Whitestrip.
Sylvain.

Bear, the references to "Dave's Format" are about the size and shape of the banner at the top of the page... long and skinny with room for the logo.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are the guidelines Paul posts when he starts accepting photos to make banners out of them:

Quoting:
Guidelines:
---------------------------------------------------
• Please post only 3 (max) per person (otherwise we'll end up with 300 photos).
• The photos have to be at least 130 pixels tall and 800-999 pixels wide.

Lurking in Texas...
~ Marylyn

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, I just read the rest of your post, Bear. ROFLOLOL!!! I hope the whitestrips help keep your teeth shining as you grit them and I hope your house sells soon so you can exchange the tundra for the tropics asap!

~ Marylyn

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Sylvain,

I believe the color is Faded Toasted Cinnamonny Mushroom and the Feng Shui is all wrong - the guy needed dowsing rods made of virgin willow from the Snooty Forrest!!!

I am all too used to that vacuuous look - I work in Tech Svcs and our users are software developers that apparently never ever used a computer before! Go figure.

Good luck selling your home and now that we know what "conforms to Dave's format" is, we should be well on our way. Let me know if you want any other pics.
Thanks,
Ana

Hi.

I'm still confused about the format. I get the 130X800-999 pixels thing but the part about 3 photos per person kinds of throws me for a loop. Do they mean a rectangular picture 130X800-999 pixels containing a maximum of 3 pictures? Could it be an assemblage of many photos in a 130X800-999 pixels? Does each picture have to be 130X800-999? I am not usually dense but I can't quite get the drift here.

I could always use great photos. When we have a few, we could get people to vote for which ones they prefer and use them for the banner, once I understand what the finer points of the format are.

Sylvain.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry, I should have taken that part out. The three pictures apiece is for when the "contest" actually starts. Paul asks that everyone only make three submissions so he isn't inundated with pictures. Each submission can be an assemblage of as many pictures as you like as long as the assemblage itself fit into that pixel range. I'm SO sorry that turned out to be so confusing. :-( I hope this helped and didn't make it worse for you!

~ Marylyn, who maybe should have stayed lurking in Texas after all!!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, when I think of Florida the image of a Flamingo comes to mind along with many other things.

LOL on selling a house....

edited to say....Floridian takes great pictures, I wonder where she is? Oh, I think she is on vacation right now.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2005 7:08 AM

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

how about including things like our state wildflower (for us native growers) and state butterfly (for us backyard habitat nuts)...

Those sound like great things too. Maybe we can do this banner in the new year.
Sidney

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

Hey guys, I didn't see this before but I thought it might be helpful for me to explain a little bit about this.

As of yet, Dave has only put up banners with different photos behind the same green gradient and logo. So the reason that I've been doing them is because I have the layered version of the image (since I made the first one).

Right now I'm the only person (besides Dave of course) that can make one that's in the correct "format", so if you guys still want one, I'll do it for ya. :D

-Paul-

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sounds good to me......you're a doll
Hap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.