gerber daisy seeds?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Any one know what they look like? All I am seeing is a lot of fluff!!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, it sort of looks to me like there are seeds on the ends of that fluff. :-)

Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

The seeds are at the end of the fluff, but only the swollen seeds are viable. I've found that even if the flower is pollinated there will alot of fluff and only a few viable seeds. I just gathered these 5 from one flower head.

Thumbnail by s_neubaum
Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

Here is my first Gerber daisy that was grown from seed in a styrofoam cup in my basement. Seed was sowed 07/26/05.

Thumbnail by s_neubaum
Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

and here are some more that I started on 09/26/05.

Thumbnail by s_neubaum
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

WOW! They grow THAT fast?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, and I'm having trouble keeping mine alive that I just brought in a couple of weeks ago... :-(

Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

I've found that overwatering causes rot.......try letting them dry out between waterings. Also they don't like the cold very much. My basement stays between 70 and 80 degrees.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I've got them in my utility room which is at least 70°. My passion flower is in there, too, and it loves it. I probably did water them too much, because it does sort of look like they're rotting. I'll try letting them dry out more. It's just that they were looking wilty, but I know they can look that way from too much watering, too.

Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

Let me know if you find any seeds. I may be able to round up a few extra if you need some. Growing Gerbers gives me something to do in the winter.

oops, just realized you were not the one trying to find the seeds.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2005 10:04 PM

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm going to see if mine make it long enough to seed! I'm really impressed with your big one and all the seedlings! I think Gerbera daisies are classic beauties. They're very clean and contemporary, as far as flowers go.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks s_neubaum for all the info. Looks like this seed head was all fluff. A few more to go & know what's what.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you very much for pointing this out s_neubaum. This year I looked very carefully at the seeds and had noticed some fat ones before you posted this to the answer luvsgrtdanes asked. I had already put them on the side 'cause they looked different.

So I looked through a big puff-ball of fluff from several heads to find 12 more 'viable' ones.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

~* Robin

Thumbnail by NatureWalker
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm hoping this continues until late next spring, when it will be warm enough to return these to the great outdoors. My grandma's Gerbera daisies that I'm trying to overwinter in my utility room lost all their original leaves, but have grown many new ones. They are much smaller than the originals, but I don't care. My goal is to just keep them alive over the winter. All four plants are putting out flowers! The first one bloomed today. Not as big either, but again, I don't care! I'm just shocked that they are blooming!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Augusta, GA

If anyone has fresh viable seed or will, please keep me in mind...I got burned on ebay-- $17 order and not a single viable seed. She sent the flower heads and most of the "seed" had not ripened at all. The rest must have been old because I did not get a single sprout! When I asked for a refund, explaining that the seed had to be fat, she sent me "fresh seed" it was just more of the same. I planted it but almost 3 weeks later still no sign of life. OH WELL...
Thanks,
ddensmore

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:55 PM

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

If you have an orange Gerber and save the seeds, do you get orange babies? Do Gerbers come true to the parents color from seed?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I dealt with the same ebay seller as Deb. All chaff and dried petals no seeds. I didn't know any better until a few months after the purchase when I found a thread here with the above photo of viable seed. Deb encouraged me to contact the seller about the "seeds" she was sending to people. I even included a link to the photo of viable seed. She thanked me, said she'd check it out and offered to send something else. I think I just went with some delphinium seed which I've yet to receive. Knowing how expensive single color Gerbera seed is, I should have been suspicious about the price:)

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:55 PM

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey woofie, did the mini gerbera seeds I sent you germinate? I didn't really have time to check them for germination this spring. There seem to be a few fat ones in the seeds I still have. I'll be more careful about which seeds I save this year.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:56 PM

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

So glad I came across this thread,and i too am a victim of the "fluff bandit" on e-bay,and like others,and maybe her,didn't know what to look for.I have been trying to grow gerbera from seed for three years,and have had nothing.Gerera,is DW favorite flower,and makes these coments to the kids about dad can't grow a gerbera,and no mater what else i propagate,"i can't grow gerberas"I need to know when to gather seed,and when to plant them,and yes,I'm sure i over watered.Is there a site I could read on this subject so I can fool them next spring?I'm getting desperate.Mike

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey Mike,
There is a "real" seller of gerbera seeds on eBay. I bought some seeds from him and have had really good luck from them. They're just mixed seeds, not color specific, but they were really reasonable--I think I only paid about $3.50 for a nice size packet of seeds. It was only supposed to have been 25 seeds, but there was a lot more than that. His eBay ID is "chickenbones" and I think he still has some for sale.
I've been collecting as much info as I can find on growing gerberas and would be happy to email you what I have.

Thanks,woofie,I would love that,I googled it yesterday,but came away with moore history,and less seeding knowledge.The talk about humitity,and temp,and water, has me confused,and I think I'll hook up with "chickinbones",and get some good seed.I had one of mine put out a seed fluff,like a dandy lion,and i got those few seed,most of them just male a weak fuss ball.If you don't mind d-mail me rhe info,and I sure will appriecate it.Mike

Hey Mike & everyone else,

I just put some info down at the bottom of this page:

Gerbera Daisy, Transvaal Daisy, African Daisy, Barberton Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/892/live_view/

~* Robin

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Robin, here's a pic of a a plant from your seeds. It's just a little guy, but seems to be doing well so far.

Thumbnail by woofie

oooh........ So cute! Can you get a clearer picture & put the Seedling ID in the link above?

~* Robin

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, first we'll see if I can get a clearer picture! ;-)

Ocean Springs, MS

Would anyone be willing to give the name of the ebay "bandit?" I got burned 3 weeks ago on a hibiscus and are becoming very careful about who I buy from now. Thanks,julie

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, because I just ordered and received some from another seller on ebay. I checked the seeds and they look viable. The seller mentioned that I should refrigerate them for 3 weeks before sowing. Have you ever done that? Thanks, julie

froggies-girl,I wish I could help you,but I was hoping I could find some of the same information too.I don't think you have to stratify the seed,I read some where that when gerbera seed fall they are ready.I was "following" my wife around wall mart yesterday,and cut loose for the plant section.The guy there was streightening up ,when I ask him about the seed from the gebera,and did he know any thing about them,and of coarse not.Long storey short,he let me take the seed from the plants that were ready,thinking they looked better with out them.now I have a dukes mixture,and won't know what I have till they bloom.Thanks to this forum,I know viable seed from non,and I am going to start some seed today,and I wish you luck with yours.Mike

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Mike, you are a clever rascal!

I didn't stratify the seeds I planted and I think I got pretty good germination rates--15 seedlings from 21 seeds (not that I'm counting or anything).

So far my store-bought gerbera plants haven't generated any viable seeds, but I keep looking!

Thats a good average,was it your first time?I hope I get that good on my first,and it is.Some time I think working with plants,is like a cat sleeping under a rocking chair. Mike

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, is there such a thing as half a try? I tried a few when I first got my seeds, back in February, but it was only about a dozen seeds 'cause I was afraid it was maybe a bit early. I have four very small plants from that batch. These that I planted in May look MUCH better. I still have some seeds left and I think I'm going to go ahead and plant them, too, since they're not supposed to keep well. Don't know where I'm going to put them all, though. HA! I'm going to be overrun with gerberas! Sigh, such a problem! ;-) Now if I can just keep them alive......

Being "over run w/ gerberas",is a probelem I kinda like.My neighbor has an old root cellar , that he said I could use anytime,its close to my compost,but sure is dark.do you think that will matter,or would you use an artificial light,like drop light,ect.I don't know,something to think about.Mike

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I have my first gebera daisy now. How will I know when the seeds are ready? Do they come from the middle? I gather they turn white and fluffy? New to this. Karen (liebran)

Karen,I was in your position ,when I ran across this thread,and saw the viable seed pic,that s_neubaum posted on the viable seed.I have a 2 jiffy trays,with babies coming up.I got so excited about this I have been sharing with every one,Take your seed head,looks kind of like a danddy lion,and you will see the fuzz,well look close,you will see some larger at the bottom,they are viable.Mike

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I just recently purchased Gerbera daisy seed from sunriseseeds.com. Ordered 1/2 gram (70-80 seeds) for ~$4.00. There were about twice that many seeds in the envelope and almost all of them began to germinate within the first few days after planting (no stratification). I have them in a room (at work...too hot in my house) where the temperature is a constant 72 deg. Hopefully, I can keep them alive long enough to see them bloom (and they'll actually be what I wanted)!

Bekkah

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Anyone know if you can physically polinate a Gerbera Daisy? If so, how?

Donna

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How do you know when a bloom is ready to be "picked" for the seeds? Do you dry the flower head before looking for the seeds?

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.