Humidty in House

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Can anyone tell me how to increase the humidity in my house. I was wondering about a humidifer? I know I need more for my tropical plants. Thanks.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You can buy humidifers that give off mist. Misting your plant increase humidity. You also put your plant in a tray filled with pebbles and slightly cover it with water. I hope that helps.
Patti

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks I know some of mine need more humidty. Thanks so much for your help. Would you have to have a tray under each plant?

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You can either put them individually or take a large tray and put several plants on the tray.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you think the trays would be necessary with misting or a humidifier?

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I am not sure to be honest. I think if I was just misting I would also use the trays. I think there are some of kind of instrument out there to check for humidity in your home.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rose for your help.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Without some artificial method of adding humidity to your homes air, for a good part of the winter the air will be drier than the driest desert on earth. Is it a wonder that houseplants (and people) suffer from dry air? The best way to increase humidity is to buy dozens more plants. ;o) Each drop of water you put into the soil ends up in the air. Seriously now, that's why it's a good idea to keep plants grouped, but not so close that it restricts air movement, a condition that encourages pests. It raises humidity in the vicinity of the plant grouping and creates a micro-climate.

There are lots of types of humidifiers on the market. I have a growing area in the basement with good lights & controlled relative humidity (RH). I keep the room humidified with 2 table top humidifiers. One is set at 60%, the other at 55%. I also have 2 fans running continuously. One oscillates, the other blows on a shallow 2ft x 2ft tray filled with small gravel. When RH is below 65%, I keep the pan full of water, which evaporates quickly (and thus raises RH) because of the fan. With this set-up, RH never drops below 55%, even in the coldest part of winter.

Every home is different in the level of RH it will tolerate. If your windows are not insulated or if there are cold spots, it's likely that condensation will become an issue at higher RH. Some experimenting might be needed. My basement walls and windows are well-insulated, which allows me to be able to keep RH a little higher, but condensation begins to become a problem at anything much over 65% RH in my home. YMMV.

The tool that is used to measure RH is called a hygrometer. You can buy digital models that also have a thermometer for under $20. The unit I use has a hi-lo thermometer & a hygrometer. I think I paid under $30 for it - well worth it IMO.

Hope the description gives you an idea or 2. Good luck.

Al

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Tapla for the great info. :0)
Patti

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This might sound a little funny but hubby got me one of those "mist fountains" for Christmas. I fell in LOVE with it. Not only is it fun to watch the changing colors and to see the "fog" rise from it but you can put scented oils in it and it makes the room smell devine! I have noticed that the air in the house is much cleaner (it produces negative ions which absorb dust and bad smells etc.) and the air is moister. The plants I have near it seem to be "lifted" as well. I just ordered another one of these beautiful lamps for my livingroom. They are so versatile and very beautiful. I also ordered some awesome scents from a seller on E-Bay who sends a free sample of an additional scent with each bottle you order.

Kim

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I got one of those for Christmas as well as a humidifer for my bedroom. Was tired of waking up every morning dry. I didn't know you could put scents in it. How cool.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes you can put scented oils in it. Hubby bought the scented oils that went with it but I found some other scents on E-Bay I wanted to try. How do you like yours? I LOVE mine. The one I just bought comes with a remote so that you can control the colors and remotely turn it on and off.

Kim

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is my mister and we all love it!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

snboyken, The one thing that you might want to keep in mind about humidifiers is the cost of filters. My old one had filters that cost $7.00 each and needed to be changed every 10 days or so. That adds up especially if you have more than one. I now use cool mist humidifiers - no filters needed. They do tend to leave extra dust on the furniture though.

I saw a fogging fountain last summer but haven't seen any since. I think the one that changes colors would be great. They would look mush nicer than humidifiers. Where could I get one of these?

Opps edited to correct spelling

This message was edited Jan 4, 2006 8:59 PM

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Kathryn,

I just purchased a really nice one from a seller on E-Bay. It has the remote control and everything. It was $23.99 with $17.99 shipping. That is about the price you would pay for a mister WITHOUT the remote. It also comes with the replacement (after 3200 hours of use) ceramic disc. The seller has 2 more at this price. It was the cheapest and nicest one I could find for the $. Hubby paid $40 for the one I have at home for Christmas in the mall and it didn't come with a remote.
I also found a Seller that has some AWESOME oils at very reasonable prices who sends a free sample of another scent of your choice with your ordered oil. AND, her shipping is free. I ordered 4 bottles and picked 4 samples for $12.00.

Here is the link to the mister I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4426688488&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Hope it helps,
Kim

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I bought 2 from him (the shipping on the second one was only $8.99) so that I could give my mother in law one for her birthday. They make a wonderful gift.

You can see also that he sells the replacements 3 of them for $7.99 so the replacements are VERY CHEAP and they last about 3200 hours each. Very cost effective and by putting the scented oils in the water it truly fills the room with a WONDERFUL scent. I have Mango in mine right now and LOVE It. The lady I bought my oils from has 100's of scents!

Kim

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

if you have a big lot they sell them too!!! 15.00!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Hubby bought mine at Kirklands in our mall for $20, It is a table top mister, no remote, changes colors, I leave it on all the time. I would be intersted in buying replacment filters and scents for it.

My humidifier is a cool mist, actually drops the temp in room, we keep in our bedroom due to our sinus trouble and it has helped so much, I sleep better than I have in 6 months. The filter on it you are suppose to take out and wash every so ofton, I forgot now how often.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

notmartha We do have a Big Lots. I haven't seen any yet. I'll keep an eye out for them since they are just putting out their spring supplies. $15 is quite a deal. I'd prefer a free-standing one like yours. I don't have any extra room on any tables for one. They are filled up with plants.

kimscreations Could you post the link for the scented oils? It sounds like a good one with lots of variety. I'd like to get some.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh sure, this is the lady I bought my oils from. She's very nice. You can pick a free sample for every bottle that you choose.

http://stores.ebay.com/LOUGYS-QUALITY-SCENTS-4-LESS

ENJOY!
Kim

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

The link to her actual store doesn't seem to be working.
Here is a link to one of her items. When you get there, click on the right hand side that says either view sellers other items or click the store name. I hope this one works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BABY-MAGIC-Aromatic-Spray-Aromatherapy-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ5644440766QQcategoryZ1277QQcmdZViewItem

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't know if E-Bay is having a problem or what but none of those links seem to be working.

Where there is a will there is a way though.

Go to E-Bay, click on advanced search, copy and paste this item number in the keyword or item number box. Then you can click on View Seller's Other Items or her store.

Kim

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kim. I found it. Wow, what a selection. How do you choose?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.