Propagating Muhly Grass

Southport, NC(Zone 7b)

I have some Muhly grass that has absolutely beautiful purple plumes. How can I propagate it? Should I dig and divide or should I collect and plant the seeds?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

don't know about seeds, but people around here dig and divide. that's how I got my hands on some. beautiful grass.

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

vossner, howquickly does it to clump up from divisions??? I saw muhly grass in a gardening book and was INSTANTLY hooked; but can't find hide nor hair. I know a local grower of grasses; but am going to need some more hard facts to convince her.

Would love to hear that it grows well from seed, btw -- seems to be my best bet. Anyone????
Marian

Mine was a tiny division and I'd say it grows fast. Got the division last fall and it is presently blooming this fall. Still too little for you to see the effect of this most wonderful plant. My guess would be that it will become a show stopping clump in two more years.

I know this is a grass highly recommended for TX Gulf coast. I will contact the texas A&M Univ horticulture Dept and ask them if it grows from see. Will get back to you.

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks a lot I look forward to hearing from you.
Marian

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

I would have to say that it would be much easier to propagate muhly grass from divisions. I have tried a couple different ornamental grasses from seed and they took a good amount of time to grow. I have also divided a couple different ornamental grasses and there is a big difference in growth time.

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

Dang. I was afraid that would be the case. But at least you don't say IMPOSSIBLE. It takes less time to grow something slowly from seed than to not be able to get it at all via division, if you can wade your way through that strange sentence.

:>)

everybody, I contacted my buddies at my extension office and this is what they have to say about muhly grass

Hi,
Mac asked me to reply to your email about growing gulf muhly from seed. I have, unintentionally, grown gulf muhly from seed. It self-seeded itself from mature plants growing in my flower beds. I'm slow to cut things back, so some of the seeds fell into the beds. With water from the rain and the little coming from the soaker hose, the seeds grew. So I guess gulf muhly would be easy to grow from seeds if you took care of them since I didn't do a thing and had a bumper crop. I have not been able to find a place which sells seeds. That doesn't mean there are not some out there, I may have not looked hard enough. This year I took some seeds and purposely planted them. I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers,
Cheryl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.