Common flowering myrtle struggling....

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

indoors, still alive (did the bark-scrape test) but all of its leaves have dried and shrivelled up. I trimmed back as much of the dead grow I could find and wonder what I should do now to save it?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I think it wants to be outside. Common myrtles (like Azaleas) are sometimes greenhouse-grown for "gift plants". Both need to be acclimatized, then planted outdoors. It will be much happier there.

k

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh....................you know, it was fine indoors, 'til I moved the pot outdoors, then the decline....perhaps being in the pot, in the heat fussed it out?

Do you think it'd be too cold to plant it now? It's in the 50's........ugh......I hope I haven't killed the poor thing.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Myrtles are pretty tough. It may be in shock from the quick move, but it could recover. If it were mine, I would plant it in the ground and give it some protection for a while. Amend the soil nicely, give it something lovely to live for! I'm in the same basic zone you are. It may just need to be hardened off a bit. I hope it makes it! :~D

K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.