African Mask Bloom???

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh - - I had no idea the "African Mask" plant bloomed ....like a Calla Lily!!!!
Look at this!

Thumbnail by BetsyJ
Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

It must be very happy!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Check this DG file http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53992/index.html and yes, good conditions to make it bloom.

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, senlarrs! I was looking at the wrong plant file! It just really took me by surprise as I've been watching this "new leaf" unfold the last few days and what a surprise I got this morning! =0)

Wow, Bravo! I thought I heard somewhere that they are tough to get to bloom. Congratulations!

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Tough to bloom? I am hoping to keep mine alive. It has gone from 6 leaves to 4... It's encouraging to see that someone else in Illinois has had success with this plant. What a neat flower! Betsy, did you fertilize much to get the bloom?

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I'd fertilize about once or twice a month.Sometimes it got the last good slurp of what I give my African Violets. And I watered it alot....seemed it was always dry.
Ashton? Where is Ashton?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

We are around 40 miles south of Rockford, about 90 miles west of Chicago.

I will get bolder and fertilize the little guy. I put him on a tray of pebbles with water for humidity and had mo more yellowing leaves. My home is so chilly in the winter - and may be really chilly this one due to the rising heating bills - so plan to try a seedling starter heat mat underneath a couple of the more sensitive plants and position my humidifier near them.

Thanks for the help!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wowie!!!! Way to go, Betsy!! You should definitely post the picture in the database.
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.