Can you fix overwatering?

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hello!

I accidentally overwatered a spider plant, and it's showing signs of not being happy at all. Obviously I haven't watered it since, but is there anything I can do to help the soil dry out more quickly? I moved it to a window, hoping that the light will help, but it's been overcast and rainy! Then I was thinking of actually trying a hair dryer or repotting it with dryer soil. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kelly

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sure someone will come along and know the specifics. But... I know that when you overwater you are actually suffocating the plant because there is no air in the soil anymore. You can resolve this problem by using hydrogen peroxide in some concentration I'm not sure of and it will literally deliver oxygen to the roots.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

You can try repotting it into drier soil and that will surely help. Air plants usually like a lot of water but if the soil sours then you could be facing root rot,so if it's really bad I'd just repot it. I would never use a hair dryer on the roots of any plant...that will just cook the roots for sure.

MsC

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

It's quite possible that your plant is exhibiting a reaction to fluorine or chlorine in your water if you have a municipal supplier. They are sensitive to overages of both elements. To dry it out quickly, depot it & set it on a plate or other surface with a paper towel between the surface of the plate & the bottom of the rootball. This will dry the plant quickly and air-prune the roots near the perimeter, but it's (the air-pruning) of less consequence than root rot.

If you're interested in learning about H2O2, I wrote this awhile back & saved it because the ? comes up frequently:

H2O2 has an extra O atom (compared to H2O) in an unstable arrangement. It's the extra atom that makes it useful in horticultural applications. Generally, we're not concerned with aerobic forms of bacteria normally occurring in container media or on roots. Since H2O2 is an unstable molecule, it breaks down easily. When it does, a single O- atom and a molecule of water is released. This O- atom is extremely reactive and will quickly attach itself to either another O- atom forming stable O2, or attack the nearest organic molecule.

Many disease causing organisms and spores are killed by O, the free O H2O2 releases is extremely effective at this. H2O2 can help eliminate existing infections and help prevent future ones. The free O atom can destroy dead organic material (i.e, leaves roots) that are rotting and spreading diseases.

Reduced O levels and high temperatures encourage both anaerobic bacteria and fungi. When plants growing in soil are treated with H2O2 it will break down and release O into the area around the roots. This helps stop the O from being depleted in the water filled air soil air spaces until air can get back into them. High O levels at the roots will encourage rapid healthy root growth and discourage unwanted bacteria/fungi.

I know it comes in several different strengths. I'm thinking 3%, 5%, 8% and 35% solutions. Cheapest is 35% which you dilute (to 3%) by mixing 1:11 with water. Plastic or glass is best to store it in, & the container should be opaque to prevent light degradation. If three-liter pop bottles are available in your area they are ideal for mixing and storing H2O2. Once you have it mixed at 3% (or start with 3%) mix it at the rate of 1-1/2 tsp/gallon of water as a cutting dip & up to 2-1/2 tsp/gallon to water containers with on a regular basis. Start at the lower concentration and increase concentrations gradually over a few weeks.

H2O2 in high concentration is a powerful oxidant & will burn and bleach skin white & rapidly oxidize almost anything it contacts, so be careful with it, especially if you work with it in solutions above 5%. A solution that's too strong can kill any organic molecule it contacts. Be SURE you have the correct dilution before you use it, please.

Al

Valley Village, CA

Try using a clay pot with a big hole in the bottom, put a screen over the hole and add fresh clean new mix.
Water no more than once a week. Let the plant dry out between waterings, keep it trimmed so it doesn't get leggy, and lightly fertilize the poor plant so it won't we starved. It will also take up more water when it is growing well, Don't use a pot too big for the plant (over plant it) Use some charcol in the soil (the arg. type) to keep the soil sweet. Don't use peat moss, it keep the soil too wet, and when it drys out it is difficult to rewater. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.