Mailing Plants

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I always use it Kim. It eases my mind. I've read threads from folks who've used it and the trader states that even though the post office insists a package was delivered that she never received it. Another post said maybe a jealous neighbor/angry neighbor took the package or the trader just wanted more and it was a handy excuse. Forming the right relationships with smaller trades at the start and checking feedback on the trader is a big help.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have always insisted on mailing at the beginning of the week - I was not aware that the postal service kept on the move 7 days a week. A lot has come out of this thread - more than we had anticipated!

Doesn't it always happen this way, or almost always? We're all in the learning process.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

While the PO may be sorting all weekend they are not delivering. I still think it is best to ship plants at the beginning of the week so they are not sitting at the PO all weekend. Just my opinion, but I like to get those plant babies out of their boxes ASAP.

I'm a Monday mode shipper. It relieves me of the worry all week long.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Why are you paying .45 cents extra for Delivery Confirmation when it's free by printing your address label online? http://shiplabel.usps.com/cgi-bin/api/shipping_label.cgi

Or even printing your label with postage, ( I bought a scale so I can wiegh it and enter the info and get the different options for mailing and their cost) then you don't even have to go to the post office and stand in line, just leave on the porch for the mailman to take with him when he makes his rounds. I only do one or two boxes at a time for him so he won't get mad.
https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

Sue - Are there any charges of any kind? I seem to recall a UPS site but it called for my AmEx card and mentioned a monthly fee but I could cancel at any time. I can't help but wonder if they're giving out free scales and free boxes and free delivery confirmations why they ever have money problems.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

What happens if you choose Delivery Confirmation, and the person receiving the package isn't home? Does the mailman take it with him, and try again the next day?

That's not fair - that plant is under stress, and needs to get out of that box. My wife and I both work during the day, and nobody is home. I wouldn't want the plant sitting in the post office any longer than it has to.

Steve

Maybe if you inform your trader to write on the box PLEASE LEAVE (and you tell the trader where the postman should leave it) it would work out.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I know that my particular mail person scans mine delivered and then leaves it in my shed whether I'm home or not.

Honestly, I don't use the click and ship because I go by the Post Office anyways and the cost of my ink isn't worth printing USPS Labels. I print peoples names/addresses instead so there isn't any confusion with the address. I just copy and paste what they send me via e-mail so it isn't an issue with my handwriting *lol*.

I think Steve, if you have a destined place for boxes to be left they will leave it and scan it delivered. I know each post office is different as each of our living environments are different. I live in the country and this is a system I have used since I moved here.

I prefer to mail on Monday also and this has always worked out great for me as that leaves 5 days of regular scheduled postal delivery days.

Just what works for me, we all have our own way of tweaking things to fit our own basic needs.

Hope it helps,
Kim

I think delivery confirmation means that they have delivered the package to the address; whether a person was there to receive it or not. Usually they just leave it on the doorstep.

That's good to know.

Steve

Yes, what ardesia said, it's not signature confirmation, just confirming that's it's been delivered. To me it's worth it in case the recieveing end says they never got the package, you can look up the number and see exactly when it was delivered. We use it for work.

Kim, I understand where you're coming from but I copy and paste the address they give me too right into the click and ship program. Personally, my time not to mention the cost of gas right now is more valuable to me than ink. Anything to save me a trip to the post office and stand in line anywhere is very valuable to me. I don't get paid being away from my desk plus I would rather be gardening. But like you said, whatever works for you.

Pirl, I have never heard of whatever program you are talking about, maybe it was some kind of bulk mailing system? I pay exactly what the postage is, no more, no less. You can check out that link. I had to add my business name as everytime I tried to log on, it kept asking me to finish that part of it. But when you print out the label, it automatically fills all your info in including that business name and you just delete it at that time. So make one up if you have to I guess.

Ooh! That gives me the chance to makeup a name - Pirl's Parcel or some such thing.

There ya go!

There is a fairly expensive postage program out there right now and I can't think of the name offhand. I keep getting free disc's in the mail from them but from what I could tell, it does not do anything that the USPS site does for free.

Calif Sue, what kind of labels are you printing on? I have been using the Label Universe labels (they advertise on the USPS site) for Click & Ship. They are pretty expensive however and I am sure there are cheaper ones out there.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Ardesia,

You can print them on a regular piece of bond paper. You cut them on the dotted line where shown and take the part for the package and tape it on the box with the clear tape and save the other half as your receipt which has the confirmation number on it.

Molly
:^)))

I just print on plain paper and the insert them in their plastic pocket envelopes with the peel-off backing that you order free and have delivered right to your door, again, a time saver. This is one of 4 pages of free item you can order.
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productCategory.jsp?prodCat=/Shipping%20Supplies/Priority%20Mail&prodCatCursor=8&passFlag=2

You have to set up an account, no credit card needed though since items are free and once you have that, you just log in, order your supplies: boxes, labels, tape etc., and the mailman delivers them within the week.

Or like Molly said, if I am out of those envelopes, (I sometimes grab a stack at Kinkos at the FedEx counter since I use their supplies as well for work, they have the same size sticky envelopes), just tape them to the box.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2005 3:53 PM

I remember collecting a few of those sticky envelopes for a kitchen drawer when I used coupons. Now I use it for rubber bands. They are so handy. Recipes fit nicely, too.

Sue,

Thanks for telling us that about the sticky plastic. I didn't know. Going to order some right now.

That roll of plastic clear tape ain't cheap.

Molly

DUH, I never thought of printing and taping. Pitiful.
I do order the free supplies so I will look into those sticky envelopes also.

MollyMc, I underswtgand you can order Priority mail tape free. It is not clear but if you are shipping Priority it is - free.

I do have the priority tape. I use it to tape the boxes shut snugly, but don't use them for the address label.

But I have 30 of the plastic stickies on the way now. I am all set.

Molly

Eureka, CA

Hi.... and I'm on the other end!! That is, I sent some seeds (just seeds) from California to Florida, and in exchange I got this large box today ($10 for postage) with 3 varieties of things..... and I have sent some things "just because" to people who were interested in my cuttings or whatever.... so I guess it all comes out in the wash (or in the garden!) I feel a bit guilty about this box, yet I know I spent postage on other things.... ya know?

Sanna

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I might add that the dollar shops sell tape for a buck a roll. Not the best quality tape, but you can use a little extra & overlap top make sure it is secure. If it isn't as sticky as it should be, you can overlap the ends. The clear plastic tape was over $4 a roll at Wal-Mart. I refuse to spend that much on the stuff, when I use so much of it! That Priority tape is wicked - it won't come loose - EVER!

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Just Letting Everyone Know........
The Priority Mail Tape is No Longer Offered.
They Stopped the Nice 'Really Adheasive' 2" Tape Last Spring.
Too Many People I Guess Were Using it for Other Things.
Plus......To Buy that Tape by the Roll Would Easily be in the $5-$10 Range.
.........It was Kinda Like Duct Tape!

ZZ - love the name.

Is there a record for the longest forum?

What have I begun?

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Longest threads I've seen so far are in the Morning Glories forum.

I read, somewhere on DG, that there was one around 600 posts.

I'll bet with 600 posts, the only people following it were those with high speed, (not dial-up).

Although I have DSL, my attention span wouldn't meet the requirements for reading a thread that long.

The big ones now break off into part 2 and 3 and so on.

skaz421, what you began was a thread with many great tips from everyone. We get the same type of ship questions here from time to time and it's always helpful for someone who didn't catch it the last time around.

Here's a tip I haven't seen mentioned yet -although I may have missed it in this super long thread!
When you print postage on-line at the USPS site, be aware that they automatically add in insurance. Unless you 'uncheck' the insurance box, you'll pay an extra 1.30 for the postage. They likely make a ton of money on insurance, since it's a real pain to actually make a claim. And the delivery confirmation box is not automatically checked, even though it is free when purchasing postage on line.
Also, if you use the USPS site and the thing misprints, or doesn't print at all, which has happened a few times to me (due to printer problems), you can file for a refund immediately. That's a nice feature.
My PO has a drop box for packages under a certain size that have printed postage on them. That's very convenient because I hate going to the PO in my town. There is always a very, very long line and I believe this PO has the most depressed workers I've ever seen in my life. It's really a miserable experience to go there. So I'll cut plants down or do whatever I have to do to be able to use the drop box.

Pixy,

That is strange. When I do the click n' ship, the delivery confirmation is always pre-checked and the insurance option is never checked.

I wonder why it's different for you. hmmmmm
Molly

I have never seen that either, it's always like Molly's.

Guess what just happened here! I was mailing 2 boxes(paid with click & ship) and I had put them out at the mailbox with the flag up.
The mailman came to my door and told me he can no longer take any boxes weighing more than 16oz. from the mailbox unless I personally stand there and hand them to him. That way they can guarantee no terrorist is leaving boxes on the mailboxes on our very rural island!!!!!
Since the mail delivery comes at all hours, you can't count on when they will be here. That means I will have to go to the PO and hand these boxes to someone behind the desk. If I have to do that, why use C & S anyhow?
Frustrated and sad that things have come to this point.

Could you leave a whistle in the mailbox? Then when he comes he could whistle for you in case you do have a package. Or vice versa: you could whistle for him.

This is sounding like a love story, a hot romance or something I didn't mean for it to be!!!!!!!

I know all this is going to change when I move to a rural area in a couple months, but for now, I do one of two things.

Take the clicked 'n shipped package to the post office and drop it in the receptacle for the weigh and pay machine.

Tape a note to the inside of my mailbox, telling the mailman there is a box on the front porch.

Ardesia, You could put a note in there with the whistle asking him to blow it. :^)))))

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Pirl LOL. "Just Whistle and I'll Come". Good title, huh.

Okay. Doesn't it remind us all of Mae West?

Quyen-

Get my package yet?

LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.