bugs on my strawberry plants

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have these tiny flying black bugs on my indoor strawberry plants.... not sure what they are... I tried using natural soap spray to get rid of them... it isn't working.. and it only turns the leaves yellow and brown...I read to put garlic cloves in the dirt with the small side sticking out of the dirt... it seemed to cut down on the problem but not enough... any suggestions before I throw them outside give up the fight?

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Fungus gnats probably
let the soil dry some and either top the soil with 1/4" sand or use Diatomacous Earth. You can find this in any nursery. Do use a mask when applying it tho. It cuts them to ribbons as they emerge out of the soil and prevents them from entering the soil to lay eggs. It wil also cut you lungs if inhaled.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Think I will stick to the sand... doesn't sound as bad... Thanks for the advice.... I bought fruit fly traps... they didn't work so I figured they were something else

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you.. thank you... thank you.. caron... the Diatomacous Earth worked wonderful... the bugs are all gone... i love this website and it's users!

Allison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.