Lucky Bamboo

Riverside, RI(Zone 7a)

My mother just gave me, what I think is a "Lucky Bambo" plant. I absolutely love it, but have no idea what to do with it. It seems to be sitting in a watery substance, but I can't tell what it is. I put it in a window that gets strong sun in the afternoon.

I'd appreciate any help I can get on caring for my new friend.

Thank you. Laurie Keenan

I keep mine in plain water in a part sun window sill. I've heard that too much sun can cause them to turn yellow, but I can't confirm that. Mine have thrown out thick white roots now that I've got them in water instead of the gel they were in. Someone with more knowledge will surely come along and help you more, but maybe that will help in the meantime. :o)

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I had a lucky bamboo that did turn yellow. I think there were two reasons: I had too many in the bunch and the middle ones weren't doing well, and they were all in a window that got too much light. I thinned them out and moved them (a nice way to liven up a not-as-bright part of the house), and since then they've done fine! I still keep them in water, and I don't bother to use distilled water or anything. Seems to work for me. :)

--Dana

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

What is sold as 'Lucky Bamboo' is usually dracaena - not bamboo. They don't need a whole lot of light- and they will grow in plain water. If you notice brown spots or tips or yellowing you are probably giving it too much sun. I took mine out of the water and put it in soil, I was always forgetting to check the water level. But they aren't very fussy plants, I have a 'Janet Craig' dracaena that even I would swear is a fake plant, it's lucky if I remember to water it every couple of months.....

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, mine is the drecaena, too. It also tends to "dry out" between waterings, and is still doing great. :)

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

How can we make curly this amboo, I have but growing straight and saw this plant in different shapes.
Kaleem

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Hmm, I've seen this question answered somewhere before... I think I remember them saying that it's difficult to do and you'd probably rather buy a curly one. Hopefully someone that knows will jump in. :) Maybe it would be fun to try anyway.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

danak
Thank you so much, today I found this, and this is very help full but time cosuming.
http://www.buffofloral.com/bamboo_faqs.shtml
Kaleem

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

That's a great website. Are you going to try to curve yours? I think straight bamboo is fine with me. :)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that website... I recieved lucky bamboo from a wedding I attended... the first few days I had it up on my mantle and it started turning yellow.... figured it would be bad luck if i killed it...

but I actually moved it to a window thinking it needed more light... now that I read that webpage it might have been the water it came in....

I would be happy if I can keep it on my mantle... looked nice there.... going to try it out...

Thanks again
Allison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.