falling leaves on ficus benjamina

I think I forgot to water this plant---now leaves are dropping like crazy... I have already watered it and kept it in same light... will it stop falling leaves? what do I do about one stark naked stem (it has only four or five leaves) giving it a leggy appearance

Petaluma, CA

Benjaminas are such little brats! But, like kids, they usually bounce right back. I've found that if you leave it in its prior light exposure and resume the right watering schedule, it will grow new foliage. I think they just like to make us feel guilty. You could tip back that one sparse branch or prune it off altogether.

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Inadequate light, change in light, and inadequate water are the three primary causes of ficus defoliation. Provide as much light as possible - the more the better; keep the soil moderately moist at all times; be patient while your ficus adapts to its new location by shedding old leaves and adding new ones that are adapted to their new home.

I have written an article covering all of the nuances of ficus tree care, for anyone who requests it.

wcreed@erols.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.