keeping the bugs outside

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I have a number of housplants outside that need to be moved in.......we have a problem with some spider mites on some of them, but i believe that they should be sprayed for all bugs before coming in......as i have many houseplants in the house that i dont want the bugs to transfer to.........what should i spray that will be easiest? i have probably about twenty plants that need to come in, and another twenty in the house.......I have heard of a isopropyl alcohol mixture, but have no idea what ratio to use.......can anyone help? Any and all ideas will be greatly appriciated.........Thank you, Abbie

This message was edited Sep 28, 2005 9:49 AM

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

If you can find insecticidal soap, that's the most 'benign' product to use.
Be sure to read the label, though, as it usually indicates which plants might be sensitive to it.
There are also many plants that are sensitive to the alcohol spray, and the problem is, you never know until you've already sprayed them.

Be sure to keep the plants in a shady place after you've sprayed them. If the sun hits them with any solution on their leaves (even plain water, often) they're more apt to burn.

Otherwise, you can also use plain dishwashing soap (not detergent or antibacterial) best to use plain Ivory or Dove....a few drops in your mister.

I have also, in the past, drenched the soil with the dishwashing liquid solution. If you leave it sit (outdoors, so that the bugs make their exit outdoors!) an evening/day or two, the bugs usually make an exit.

This is what works for me, I'm sure others will have different ideas.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 11:42 AM

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

Thank you Nan!!! I thought you had to rinse the ivory off?? Hopefully I am wrong, and that is an easy solution.........

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmm...well, I don't rinse it off, myself.

Maybe if you were to use a harsher detergent, then you'd have to rinse if off....but I haven't rinsed off the Dove solution that I've used.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for asking this question. I have all my houseplants outside, but it's getting about time to bring them in. I bought insecticidal soap to spray them with, hoping to rid them of insects before they enter the house, but also not wanting to use something that could harm my cats. It sounds like I bought the right thing. Thanks again.

Jennifer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.