Hibiscus won't bloom

Agawam, MA

I have a Hibicus which I bought about 3 years ago. It bloomed the first year, but hasn't done anything since then. I prune it a couple of times during the winter because it gets really leggy, and it spends the summer in the greenhouse. In addition to not blooming, right now it really isn't getting much new growth either. Any thoughts? Thanks.

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Possible reasons for not blooming: Inadequate light; too large a pot; spider mites, white flies, aphids; inadequate rest period in winter.

Hibiscus take well to pruning but really need ALOT of sun in order to bloom. Legginess is a sure sign it's not getting enough light.

Agawam, MA

Thanks for the replies. It isn't leggy now in the summer when in the greenhouse - only in the winter. If it is supposed to have a winter rest and it gets leggy then, does that mean it gets too much light in the winter? Thanks again.

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

If you can provide enough winter light to keep it from becoming leggy, then a winter dormant period may not be necessary. Otherwise gradually reduce water, temperature, and fertilizer in October and November. Then prune it back by at least one-third and keep it in 55 to 60 degree temperatures until March or April. You can then gradually raise the temps and increase the water and resume fertilizing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.