S FL Galloping Gardners 9/24/05

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Yep Nancy,

That's the one. It seems to keep other critters away from the flower bed too, even my "well behaved fertilizer eating, pot nuzzling, sweet doggies".

I will do my best to get you started on the path to additional plant addictions.......................

:^))))
Molly

Nancy,

I was just over looking at your journals and wanted to make a suggestion about that ugly electric box by the sidewalk.

The Home Depot, etc, sell plastic trellis sheets that you could cut to fit around that thing and you could plant some morning glory seeds to grow up into the trellis work.

In this picture I used the trellis stood up on end and wrapped over the top of the potting table. We joined the pieces with plastic tie wraps. There's an Allamanda growing on each side meeting up over the top.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Ah, Molly... You're my kind of people. Assembling something with tie wraps. I thought I was the only one who used those for assembling stuff. I had a good laugh there. I'm also a great duct tape artist. During a cruise, my wife's formal long gown's hem became undone. No time to re-hem it with needle and thread. It was a case of duct tape to the rescue. She attended the captain's dinner with a hem holding by a narrow strip of duct tape. And yes, before you ask: I do watch Red Green. Don't leave home without at least a roll of duct tape in your suitcase.

We're all in this together. I'm pulling for ya.

Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sylvain, you sound like my son. It started when he was a teenager....he duct taped everything and I mean everything. One day I looked down and saw that he had duct taped the toe of his shoes to the sole.....around and around so they would be together. I almost died. I had asked him time and time again to take my charge card and go shopping, but obviously he didn't. If looks could kill. Now I laugh. He's still pretty good with it.....

You really take a roll on a cruise? I will be going next month so I will have to get one ready I guess. (Cruises, in my opinion are the only way to take a vacation.) Plus, when you move down, you will be 25 minutes to the port......yipeeeeeee..

Hap

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

fireant13 If you really want to give your cat a treat there are a couple of plants you can put in your yard for the cat. Both are available at HD.
The first is pentas. Whenever you trim the pentas your cat will jump in the bush and just go nuts rubbing himself on the plant. Then the cat will probably fall asleep in the plant.
The second is a Texas Bluebell Lisianthus. Your cat will eat the flowers when they bloom, then rub against the plant and probably fall asleep purring after doing this.
These were my cat's favorite treats in the yard. He enjoyed them more than the snakes, lizards, field mice or Japanese beatles. I didn't put birds in his favorites list because with the birds it was more of the chase rather than the eating.

Art

Arrrrrrttttttt,

I think she wants to keeps the cats away..........but those are some great ideas for entertaining the kitties.

:^)))))
Molly

(Zone 9a)

About the duct tape, my daughter's front bumper was held on with duct tape for a couple of years. The last year she took that car up to Pensacola, she had to stop twice to pick up pieces of her car on Hwy. 10. Now she has another car that is intact.

Art, to keep the cat happy, I may plant those in a place just for him. He's a pretty good cat and trains easily. He has turned my rose planter into a place to sleep. My cat chases all the creatures in the neighborhood, too. I have to check his mouth before I let him in the house because he doesn't kill things. He just likes to chase them around. I haven't seen him kill birds, but I have seen him run from a mockingbird with a nest.

Molly, I like the idea of the trellis with the vines. I've been wanting to hide that box and also the air conditioner. I didn't say anything about my journal because there's not much in it.

Nancy

HI All, Great time yesterday, but lots of work to do today. A brief look see this morning at my spoils of yesterday and everything looks just great. Potting them up was a great way to handle it.

The Copper Kettle was very nice, and very reasonable (remember Art = cheap, but not free)

Val and I are having a good time finding the goldenrod (angelonia) Let's see if anyone can understand that line. LOL

Here's a picture of a happy Molly after a successfull dig out of plants. Plants and Val next post.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Yesterday was one of the more informative GT's we have had to date. Plenty of gab time (which for me is picking their brains)

We made a dent in Molly's garden, albeit a small dent.

Nice lunch at the Copper Kettle. Good food and very reasonable prices.

I came home with a truck full of plants and cuttings which I will be working as soon as I finish this.

Val stopped by my place on her way home. She gave me lots of ideas for my yard and garden.

Here is a picture of Molly and Val with some of the plants Molly dug up for us. I didn't dig, I was buisy chatting and taking pictures.

We missed not having Happy_1 with us to join in the fun we had.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Happy_1, yes... I really take duct tape (2 inches wide) with me on a cruise. Not the dollar store stuff either, genuine 3M duct tape. I kid you not. If you bring it, you'll use it every time. One of our suitcases died on the dock one day as we were returning to Miami. Were it not for duct tape, we would have needed a green trash bag to carry our clothes while we shopped for a new suitcase on the way to the airport.

Another weird thing to bring on a cruise: an all-plastic lettuce spinner from the Just 99 Cents store. Gail uses it to wash her delicate unmentionnables (DU) and spin them dry. She fills it with DU when packing it in the suitcase and it ends up taking no more space than the DU would have required in the first place: very handy.

Cruising is the only way for us to take a REAL vacation. There is a method to my madness: move to Florida, close to the harbour, buy cruises at auction on the internet and sail away. We are currently shopping for cruise No. 9. You're already booked on one? Ooh this is exciting. Which ship, details please. New Orleans' misfortune caused our favourite ship (Norwegian Sun) to be relocated to Miami in January for the foreseable future.

Art, thanks for posting these great pictures. They make a wet, dark, windy day seem brighter somehow. Looking at these pictures with nice women and such lush greenery, I envy you. I'm glad you had a good time at yesterday's GT. I can't wait to tag along. You guys seem to have such fun.

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain. - edited 3 times for spelling. Mama told me there'd be days like this.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 5:15 PM

This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 5:16 PM

This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 5:18 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sylvain.....never have done the internet thing for the cruises.....what's the trick?

Our fav cruise line is the Holland America....our 2 least are the Costa and Carival. We had a lot of good cruises on the ol' Norway before the new cruise ships came out and she started to look AND act like an old battle ship. So sad for she was great in her day.

We used to go 2 a year but my DH, Bob, had a heart attack and triple bypass last October so it's been a while and I can tell you, I can hardly wait for 10/22...........Holland America, Zaandam. I really don't even care if they leave Ft. Lauderdale, just feed me and let me play lady. Sometimes we don't even get off, for how many times can you see an island?

I think we should hook up on one of these....you being the tour director.....lol

Hap

Hi.

We sailed the Zaandam in Dec. 2002 (11 days). We also sailed on the Norway in 1996. I remember the Grand Salon International with statues of Neptune "dressed" in quartz crystals - Fabulous.

Favourite ship is now Norwegian Sun because you put on a pair or dress pants and a golf shirt and you're set for the evening. No suits, no ties, just an enjoyable holiday. We're looking at our 3rd sailing on Norwegian Sun.

We loved the Zaandam: great food, great service, beautiful ship but too many dress-up nights (8 out of 11). Never sailed on Costa or Carnival.

We buy our cruises through Cruise Auction at www.cruiseauction.com. They're a reputable company and they always served us well in the past.

I always get off the ship when we get to an island and head for the beach. No museums or old churches for this guy. Give me sun, sea, sand, saltwater and I'm happy. I like to be pampered the way only a cruise ship can.

Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Houston, we have a problem.......

I am a newer version of Queen Victoria, and English to boot.....I love the formal nights with me in my fu-fu dresses and my handsome hubby in his tux. That's one of the reasons I cruise...that is the only time I get to dress up like a lady. Being a retired chef, I like to shed the uniform and don the pretties.

I will check out that link. Thanks.

PS. Those crystals were beautiful, but the best was when they had the chairs and couches on the Promonade Deck. Bob lounged there 1/2 the trip. He thought that he had died and went to heaven; talked to everyone and became the unofficial welcomer to Ft. Lauderdale. lol

Hap

Hap, we don't have a problem; not by a very long shot.

For a long while, we relished the formal nights and all the glitz and glitter. Then, I was laid up in a hospital for 6 weeks with heart problems. Laying there, my view of the world changed drastically .

We used to pack 4 large suitcases (about 180 lbs) of clothes and pay excess baggage fees every time we flew to meet the ship. That was before we experienced NCL's freestyle cruising. Now, it's 2 suitcases, and that's that.

We were both born to cruise one day. As long as we can feel the ship's motion under our feet, eat and drink in moderation and buy emeralds (Gail's thing), we're happy.

Here is a picture of Gail and I taken on the Zaandam in front of a backdrop representing the Titanic's great staircase. I always liked that one although, up close, that was one of the ugliest backdrops I had ever seen. How we changed in a couple years: now I shave my hair completely and Gail no longer wears glasses.

To each his own. We're OK with that. We don't miss the dressup parties at all.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Things are sure looking up..........

BTW, a great pic. Maybe Bob and you can compare notes on heart problems.....lol It's so great you have both recovered so well. I have no problem shopping either....LOLOLOL

So much to discuss when you get here.....can't wait....

Hap

Hi all, During our GT we had some discussions on cuttings of two plants I had brought along for comparison. This morning I resolved the problem and wanted to share it.
The picture attached shows a goldenrod, Pine Barren, Solidago fistulosa on the left foreground, next to a Angelonia I had purchased at HD.
When I made a cutting of what I thought was a piece of Angelonia I had covered with dirt, I didn't realize it was a totally different plant. It must have come from birds on the overhead utility wires where birds rest. When the leaves are compared they look very similar, although Val quickly told us the difference between the two.
If interested the link will take you to my picture of the goldenrod in the plant files. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/89803/

Art

A progress note on the giant porterweed cutting from Butterfly World. This plant has been in the ground about two weeks. My second plant has been transplanted into a larger pot. I took the picture to show you it's progress. This morning it had it's first flower. It's also showing new branch growth.

A side note on this plant. I know why we call it a giant porterweed (because it's big compared to "common porterweed") I did a google for Florida giant porterweed. The Florida Native Plant society gave me the genius StachytarphetaI. Doing a search on USF Plant Atlas I came up with
Blue Porterweed and surprisingly Nettleleaf Velvetberry, Stachytarpheta cayennensis. This might be our plant. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/main.asp?plantID=215

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Someone gave me a red porterweed....It has started blooming today., georgeeeeeeeeeeouuuuuuuus...

I think that was Val, Nancy. Mine is blooming too.

Molly
:^)))

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Where's the picture? Please.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

OH, OH....Messed up....pix coming ...

'mornin all, I have a couple of exciting (to me) posts today.
First, I found a new plant growing from bird droppings. I first spotted it earlier in the week, but wanted to give it a chance to grow. It looked similar to many weeds that appear under the utility lines. Today it was so big I knew if I didn't get it out and transplanted quickly, I might loose it later on.
It was growing in the shade under my night blooming jasmine which is under the utility lines. This is about five feet South of where the Pine-Barren Goldenrod was found.
I had to take the picture by the pool due to the stiff breeze and bright sunlight. Flash pictures taken elsewhere didn't do it justice.
It's transplanted into a one gallon pot. It's about 15-16 inches tall and the top leaves are about 6-7 inches from left to right across the trunk. It has almost doubled it's size in about a week.
It has the same type of leaves as a sensitive plant (but much bigger) or Royal Poinciana tree, or Jacaranda tree. I have both trees but the Jacaranda has not bloomed here. It could be a Royal Poinciana tree.

Idea's anyone?

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Second new plant found.
This may solve the puzzle of where I got my Cork-bark Passion Flower Passiflora suberosa. I thought at first one of you had given this plant to me. Then I thought I might have picked it up my last trip to the Key's. Now I know it was a "what if I transplant this plant found from bird droppings under utility lines" and see what it turns out to be.

Here's what happened today. After finding and transplanting the plant in the previous post, I went looking in area's I haven't visited in a while. In the neglected area behind my Chinese Fan Palm and in front of the wall planter made for a Frangipani tree, I found what appears to be another Passiflora suberosa. It's hard to tell just yet, because the leaves are of slightly different color. This plant was growing entirely in the shade.

There will be several posts with the pictures I took so be patient.
This first picture is of the plant originating from the ground. The stalk easily resembles a mature passionflower vine. You can see there are three off shoots of the vine growing.

Continued next post.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Second post on new plant.
This shot shows it climbing the stone wall face of the Frangipani planter. Note there is a green fruit growing from the vine in the middle of the picture.

more coming

Thumbnail by artcons

3rd message.
This shows the vine growing over the top of the planter (don't look at the mess please) and on a stick I put in the ground so it could get into the light.

more

Thumbnail by artcons

Last message about this plant for the morning.
This is a composit shot of my original Passiflora suberosa on the left and the new find plant today on the right. It compares the leaves of both plants. I picked shots of each plant showing similar sized leaves.

Do you think it's a Passiflora suberosa?

Thanks, Art

Thumbnail by artcons

This is a shot of the Wild Poinsettia this morning. It's doing really well. The red color is about a third of the way up the leaves now and it's beginning to bloom.
The potted one I have, which is much bigger, is just starting to get red turning leaves on it.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art....you certainly are enjoying your weeds........hehehe....love it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's the pic...nothing great, but there.....

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Hi.

Art, thank you for the pictures. I truly enjoy the virtual sunlight they display. Imagine.... finding poincianas, jacarandas and so many wonderful plants, some of them growing from bird droppings. The only things the birds leave around here are related to dandelions and other less desirable weeds.

I have just finished listing our house on E-bay. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4408926663&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#contactSeller

I thought some of you might want to sneak a peak. I welcome comments. I hope we sell quickly. We have visitors coming tomorrow afternoon. This is so nerve wracking.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2005 5:54 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Nothing happens, Sylvain.....

Hi Hap, I think I gave you and Molly the red porterweed. How's the giant purple one doing? Wednesday I brought for you red and green mixed plus greens and whites mixed copperleaf that I had to dig up from the area where they will replace my utility pole. A folio full of large leaves from my Clerodendrum speciosum for you to practice your hypertufa with, and a Clerodendrum speciosum for you to plant while you wait for your EE to grow. The Clero grows very fast. It would produce 13-15 inch width leaves in two months. It already had leaves 9" across.

fireant13, Nancy, another plant you can feed your cat is milkweed.

Sylvain, good luck with your home, although I doubt you will need it.

A partial listing of what I picked up at Molly's on Wednesday is Sensitive plant, Lakeview Jasmine, Turk's cap (to replace one I lost in the storm) Chinese Wysteria, Fennel, solid Red Lantana, Red mixed Lantana, Lipstick plant, Cigar plant, Cardinal Climber, Cape Honeysuckle and Mickey Mouse EE. There are lots more I need to id or find my notes on, or clean my glasses so I can read what I wrote on the side of the potsl.

Beautifull weather for this weekend. Ya all get out and enjoy the great weather while having a happy (no pun intended) weekend.

Art

(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Art, for all the suggestions. I definitely want to get my cat away from the roses, which are doing really well in spite of me. They've been filled with pink blooms all summer and seem to bloom even more profusely Sept./Oct.

Sylvain, the link to E-bay doesn't work.

Happy_1, Art and others...

I'm so sorry about that dead link. It seems the link has been filtered out by the forum's platform. Another way to find our house's description and pictures it is to go on E-Bay Canada's web site www.ebay.ca and type the product number 4408926663 in the search box at top left.

Sylvain.

Edited because I can't type a simple link in. What an oaf!

This message was edited Oct 4, 2005 5:27 AM

Hi.

Where's everyone gone? No activity on this thread for over a day... Unusual. Is everyone OK?

Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm on my way to bed......I was thinking the same thing a little earlier.....Well, tomorrow is another day and we will get together then....OK?

I'm here. I was wondering the same thing. Art and Molly are MIA right now. Where are they? In the meantime, we can hold the fort. Don't you agree?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Molly's in the north of Florida and who knows about Art?

Glad to hear nothing bothersome has happened down there. My garden's perennials are really beginning to look frightful. My miscanthus and calamagrostis grasses are doing fine but the rest really feels the autumn threatening. They are entering dormancy. Some of them have already done so.

I found a friend to "adopt" my pink oleander (7 ft tall) that grows on my deck. I often refer to it as my feeble attempt to make believe we are in warmer climes. Since we don't plan to be here this winter, it would be better if it left now. My friend own a huge house and he has space for it in a corner of his living room, by 2 bay windows overlooking the lake.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.