Please identify

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

Any suggestions? I really adore this grass it is so graceful.

Thumbnail by edenawaitsme
Thornton, IL

Fountain grass, Pennisetum.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

More specifically, I'd say it's Black Fountain Grass. Very bad about self-seeding....everywhere! :)

http://www.pbase.com/kygarden/image/31936842.jpg

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

But it is soooo pretty. Even though my gardens may tell a different story now, I am no stranger to weeding. Rip, rip, lol.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's bad enough in my garden that it's been banished to the lawn area where I have my tall grasses (so I can mow around it). It roots very deeply and the roots are tough. It's very hard to pull out by hand even when it's small (unless you have loose soil - you can forget about pulling it out of clay! hehe)

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

Well fortunately my soil has alot of sand. I'm stubborn can't you tell, lol.

Thornton, IL

It looks like 'Little Bunny' or 'Hameln' to me.

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's definitely black fountain grass. Look how wide the blades are and I'd recognise those seed heads anywhere :)

Thumbnail by hczone6
Thornton, IL

Sorry. LOL. I was looking at first pic. :-(

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

No problem. I've got a 'few' grasses and I definitely recognize that one :)

By the way, I think I made a big mistake on the placement of the arundo and giant miscanthus :( They should have been in the very center.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

Hey Hczone6. You really have an awesome grass garden going on there!

Thornton, IL

I think it looks spectacular!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

hczone6, you mean the big one in the center? well, maybe. but just the idea if an ornamental grass garden with as much variety as you've planted is simply fantastic.

certain planned communities in the houston area have begun planting masses of ornamental grasses and they are just lovely. when it's windy they dance and even though they flank concrete freeways, the vista takes you back to a meadow somewhere. The only minus is that, unlike your garden, not all the varieties planted together have the same life cycles, so you'll see an area of spent grass right in the middle of things and it becomes a "visual interruption".

congrats on your garden.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks :) Yes, taller ones in the center so you can see all of them...if 'stacked' properly. From other views, the taller grasses block the smaller ones. They're huge and extremely difficult to move. I'm not sure I want to fool with it! LOL

Ukiah, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't know about common names, but I I think this is definitely Pennisetum alopecuroides "Moudry"

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

breathtaking grass garden...
mine is not as formal...in a country setting around an earthen pond...this is my first year with the grasses.I am lovin it

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks good to me. I'm thinking of doing some more native/wild stuff. I need to think about it though. Maybe just take a few areas and plant native stuff there. I sort of started already with a small area. I dug up some pernnial sunflower (helianthus I think?), some ironweed, rudbeckia I found growing wild and I'm starting a small area with that. I want to get some wildflower mix next year...annual stuff...and let them go too :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I just discovered this thread...and I"m in Love with the Black Fountain Grass! SInce you posted this last year...how has it done?

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

It's doing great. Growing as we speak. I fell in love too, but alot of people think it self seeds to bad, but I haven't had any problems yet.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well...I'm a weird one who LOVES to weed...so bring 'em on! To me, it's "pain for beauty" --a mantra that my daughter says is the one she remembers me saying the most as she was growing up!!

How tall does it get? And can't a person stop the self seeding by cutting down the plumes after they are "spent"?

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.