Hanging Baskets

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I have lovely east, south, & west wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling windows in my living room & have been thinking of doing some nice hanging baskets.

Problem is that the only hanging baskets that seem to be available are those plastic or plastic/wire hanger types.

Does anyone here have/use anything different?

for inside, I use (and sometimes even make my own) decorative macrame or colored rope hangers. Color coordinated to match decor and etc. I haven't tried these inside due to their weight, but outside i like to use vintage or antique wrought iron hanging baskets with coconut liners. I just love the old scroll work, it can be beautiful and ornate. I haven't tried them inside for fear of putting holes in the dry wall, but I'm not a hardware expert. It probably can be done.

I've found alot of my antique baskets at second hand stores, or good deals at antique shops. Ebay is also a good source for them and for more modern replicas.

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Another "new" trend in the Garden Center world that I've seen this year, are terra cotta pots with chain hangers. I ended up buying two, one for my spider plant, and another for an as-yet undecided plant.

I have a co-worker who likes to tell me that I have a 'pot' problem. I usually agree, while buying yet *another* pot for my houseplants! Oh, well. Life is about variety, right?

Lori

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've seen lots of baskets similar to those that ladyrowan describes, and also wicker baskets with a plastic liner, also with chain hangers. I often place 2 or 3 pots inside of these baskets, rather than planting the plant *directly in* the basket.

The places I find these are usually well-stocked private nurseries/greenhouses, particularly those with gift-shops.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Oooh - I like the idea of the wicker ones if I could find them. Like I said, the living room is nearly all glass & skylights with honey-colored pine panelling. Wicker in the right shade (or stainable) would fit in rather well & would also be less apt to fall due to weight & bean one of my 4-legged friends.

Now I just have to find a source - lol!!

Graham, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi Breezy,

I've gotten several of the metal HB w/ the fiber lining for my orchid cactus and still looking for more.

Eric

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Lowes carries some GREAT metal hanging baskets!!! They also have vine type baskets!!
And you might want to check out
abcdistributing.com
and ltdcommodities.com They had some nice white metal baskets with the coir linings in them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.