Devil's Club Seeds

Monroe, WA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone tried propagating Devil's Club from seed? My parents have some mature plants that are making seeds, but I'm not sure if the red berries are each 1 seed, or if each one contains lots of seeds. When I open one up it's just yellow mush inside. I don't see a whole bunch of little seeds, so I'm wondering if each red berry is a single seed?

Here's the link in the Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51534/index.html

Mark
Woodinville, WA

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

bentlema, I believe the berries have one seed, or perhaps not many per berry. I am not exactly sure because I run mine through a bear before I harvest them, and the berries are already broken down by then. I have traded these seeds, and in my research, I believe they need scarification (bear's stomach acid works!), and stratification (scat sits out all winter).

I've found this site with another opinion on propagation: http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/nativeplants/Oplopanax_horridus.html

Monroe, WA(Zone 8a)

Guess I'll have to aquire a bear! :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

bentlema, why not just get a seedling or a root cutting. They are pretty tough. I can't seem to kill them here!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

bentlema, I also have devils club. have never felt the need to propagate it. I've been clearing trails and when I come across it I wear my heavy duty gloves. I cut it down but it seems to come back. nasty stuff, is there some use for it? hostajim1

Monroe, WA(Zone 8a)

Ah!, nice to see someone else from WA! The only use I have for it is to plant in my garden. I really like the looks of it when it becomes mature. The clump my parents have on their land fills a space about 12' x 12' and there are several stalks that are over 10' tall.

I would like to learn how to propagate it just for the experience. I've been propagating ferns for a few years, so waiting a long time for results isn't a problem for me. I think it's more fun to grow things from seed or spore so you can watch their progress from the very start. Plus you can get variations and make hybrids.

Mark

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Mark, I can send you some of my bear processed seeds, if you like. Just email me.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

bentlema, I am very interested in fern prop. I just planted some spores 2 days ago, I have them in clear containers on a heat mat. if this is wrong please tell me. also I'm starting micro-propagation in 2006. I'm going to a workshop in Puyallup on Oct 29th. the person giving it has a website that is home tissue culture. I've already got a lot of valuable info on the subject. you don't need thousands to start just less than a $100. I want to do Hostas, I have over 100 cultivars already. hostajim1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.